Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Italian Tail Light Lenses Installs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
I just installed the AA Italian Tail Light Lenses.

Now I need to find the correct red bulbs for it. My local FLAP had nothing. Has anyone done this and what bulbs did you use? I am thinking LED bulbs.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
rmital
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 20 2009, 05:31 PM) *

Now I need to find the correct red bulbs for it.

popcorn[1].gif
Scott S
Ok, I'll say it - Ive been pissing people off all day long anyway it seems....

There are no italian tail light lenses - they used the standard Euro lenses (amber turn, red brake, white reverse)....

I would guess that your best bet for bulbs would be a place like Pep Boys that carry all of the Alteza, APC honda/aftermarket stuff.

There also used to be a company called NOPI - I have no idea if they still exist...
ArtechnikA
Go to a crafts store.
Find the 'stained glass' section.
You'll find transparent paint in many colors.
dip the bulbs. Might take a couple of coats.
Without red reflectors showing to the back your car is not DOT legal and wouldn't pass a state safety inspection (or vehicle code check) in many localities. Maybe that's not a concern where you live.

I've grown to hate looking over my shoulder all the time and tend to avoid giving lawn forcement a reason to pull me over at will...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
someone said nail polish. We also have the center reflector in clear now. Amber bulbs are commonly available.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 20 2009, 03:00 PM) *

Go to a crafts store.
Without red reflectors showing to the back your car is not DOT legal and wouldn't pass a state safety inspection (or vehicle code check) in many localities. Maybe that's not a concern where you live.

I've grown to hate looking over my shoulder all the time and tend to avoid giving lawn forcement a reason to pull me over at will...

Right off the bat, KS requires TWO red reflectors in the rear. I don't think the man's gonna like the 2 white ones, either. I think the whole idea is a clear case of "rice" and "bling" gone horribly wrong. I concur with Rich; In my old age I've grown weary of tempting cops. It NEVER works in the best interests of the tempter .........

The Cap'n
So.Cal.914

Go to a crafts store.

Isn't that a great big red reflector right in back? I agree with the craft store, I have used it on flood lights. Held up fine with the heat.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 20 2009, 06:45 PM) *

Isn't that a great big red reflector right in back?

It's not me you have to convince...
rhodyguy
red reflectors? like red mirrors? or red lenses? wink.gif. i've been pulled over for euro style tail lenses at night but never during the day. the clear looks slick. did you do the front turn and side marker lights?

k
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 20 2009, 08:12 PM) *

red reflectors? like red mirrors? or red lenses? wink.gif. i've been pulled over for euro style tail lenses at night but never during the day. the clear looks slick. did you do the front turn and side marker lights?

k

I have had the front turn signals done (no side markers) for a few months. This is no concours candidate - it is a bastard at best - but it is fun. Fiberglass flares - Tinted Windows - Cragar Wheels - etc - but it isn't on jackstands and I can drive it. I have a '72 that is box stock - showroom original (other than motor) that I would not dream of putting any lenses on that it didn't ship with. Hell I won't even put a hood emblem on it! The Wild Child is different.

Excuse this bad picture of the front - the garage gets messy in the winter.

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 20 2009, 03:45 PM) *

Go to a crafts store.

Isn't that a great big red reflector right in back? I agree with the craft store, I have used it on flood lights. Held up fine with the heat.

The KS vehicle code says TWO red reflectors. Not one, two. I know, I looked it up.
As always, Google is your friend, especially when you've a mind to waste some time ............ The Cap'n
orange914
e-bay sells clear 1157 led bulbs. i'll bet you can find them in red. AND i believe led bulbs look clear until activated?
boxstr
The LED front turn signals on my 28 Ford roadster are clear, but flash amber.
CCLINAMERICANHOTRODFOUNDATION
bandjoey
914rubber.com told me a couple months ago they were going to have led tail and turn bulbs. They're not on the site but you might send an email to see if he has them.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 20 2009, 10:04 PM) *

914rubber.com told me a couple months ago they were going to have led tail and turn bulbs. They're not on the site but you might send an email to see if he has them.

Good idea - I will check with Mark. I did put his LED guage lights in this car.

Now this car loks a bit like the back of my FX45:
Click to view attachment

Thanks!
wilchek
I'll actully answer your questions. I think you car looks great. Not sure why everyone must chime in with an opinion. If you look at half the modern cars they all have clear lenses. Anyway, give these guys a call, they are right around the corner from me and are a great small shop full of car guys. If it is not on their site they should be able to track it down. http://www.rallylights.com/default.aspx
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(wilchek @ Feb 21 2009, 07:46 AM) *

I think you car looks great. Not sure why everyone must chime in with an opinion. If you look at half the modern cars they all have clear lenses.

I think it looks good too.
It's just not legal.
-I- don't care, but i feel it's the community responsible thing to do to at least mention it to the owner so he knows what he's set himself up for.

Lots of modern cars have clear lenses and - like that picture a couple of posts back - legal red reflectors - one per side...
swl
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 20 2009, 07:05 PM) *

The KS vehicle code says TWO red reflectors. Not one, two.

A little bit of duct tape down the middle will fix that problem right up! biggrin.gif
marks914
Just use red and amber standard bulbs from the local car parts places. I tried everything and that is the only thing that worked well. The LED bulbs just shhot a cylinder of light where the regular bulbs fill the lamp. i also painted my reflectors silver to get a more even dispersal of light. I will see if I can take some pics.

Mark
marks914
Here are some pics with standard colored bulbs.

Yes, they are not legal, but I really don't care. At work we go by 2sq in reflex per corner front, side and back. So technically you need 4 sq in amber on the front, 2 sq in amber reflex on the front side, 2sq in red reflex on the back side and 4 sq in red reflex on the back (50 state US spec), but oh well

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Kansas 914
QUOTE(marks914 @ Feb 21 2009, 11:42 AM) *

Here are some pics with standard colored bulbs.

Yes, they are not legal, but I really don't care. At work we go by 2sq in reflex per corner front, side and back. So technically you need 4 sq in amber on the front, 2 sq in amber reflex on the front side, 2sq in red reflex on the back side and 4 sq in red reflex on the back (50 state US spec), but oh well

Mark

Thanks Mark,

This is probably the way to go. I didn't think about the LED bulbs being so directional - but it makes sense.

The pictures help alot - thanks again.
flipb
Has anyone put amber colored turn signal bulbs inside of US-spec taillight lenses? Would they look amber when illuminated?

(I'm thinking of recent E-Class MB's that had red-looking lenses but amber turn signals when they lit up.)
tat2dphreak
I use the amber LED lights in my italian front turn signals. be sure and get the relay. 914rubber has the relay and the bulbs. that said, I'm going to try and find standard bulbs in amber for these.. the LED to me is too pointed, and doesn't light up the whole bucket well imo.

Has anyone put amber colored turn signal bulbs inside of US-spec taillight lenses? Would they look amber when illuminated?

no, they will not. the amber is relatively subtle, actually. I would bet they would just look "dim"

oh, and Mike, I dunno why everyone had to be haters today... if you like 'em... that's all that matters, man!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.