Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion bar adjusters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
golfcart
A number of parts suppliers (with pics depicting a hex head bolt not a hex socket bolt) and this forum call out an 11 mm bolt for the torsion bar adjusters. I have a 1971 with a 1.7 liter engine. My torsion bar adjusters are a hex socket bolt. Is the hex socket 11 mm?
r_towle
The correct OEM part is a hex head bolt that accepts an 11mm wrench.

Rich
dflesburg
I got a pair of late model ones for both our 1970 cars. Make sure when you get them out you grease the crap out of them when you put them back.

The ones you put a socket on (late model) are WAY better than the ones that take an allen.(early)

Just my experience.
golfcart
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Feb 20 2009, 08:18 PM) *

I got a pair of late model ones for both our 1970 cars. Make sure when you get them out you grease the crap out of them when you put them back.

The ones you put a socket on (late model) are WAY better than the ones that take an allen.(early)

Just my experience.

OK, so it looks like I have an early model. Anyone know the size of the socket?
Eric_Shea
They come both ways. I like the 11mm best as it's more stable over time. 911 suspensions came with the socket. I think it's an 8mm? My 911 sockets are almost gone. The 11mm stuff on the 914 are still solid.
golfcart
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2009, 12:37 AM) *

They come both ways. I like the 11mm best as it's more stable over time. 911 suspensions came with the socket. I think it's an 8mm? My 911 sockets are almost gone. The 11mm stuff on the 914 are still solid.

Thanks Eric. Picked up an 8 MM allen socket and easily adjusted the drivers side. The passenger side was another story. The hex cap was stripped so I picked up a set of easy outs. Now I have a broken easy out in the adjusting screw. Quit for a sanity break .. but will get back to it. Anyone know the best way to remove a buggered-up torsion bar adjusting screw? I think I read you can drill them out.

Anyway, I knew I would need replacement screws. OEM stuff costs $34 - $42 new, $16.50 used as published by some well know parts suppliers. The main reason for this post is to relay that replacements are available at most hardware stores (if you're mainly concerned with function versus originality). I picked mine up at True Value for $2.44 ea.

Size: 12 MM diameter, fine threads - 1.50 MM pitch, 50 MM long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.