Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KOT: Stumbled on to a 356 today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Kinda wrecked in the front and it has sat for about 20/30 years. It would be really cool to restore, but It's just too much.

Turns out it's a 1962 356 T6 Coupe "B" SC, from what I understand, a rather desired Porsche. Anyone know anything about it, I've found some info on it, but personal knowledge would be awesome!

I'm thinking about parting it out? Anyone? Anyone?
r_towle
I have had more than a few of them.
First, show a few pics.
There are not alot of unique parts that bring loads of value.
A complete car is worth more at this time.

How much do they want for it?
Post a few pics...exterior and interior.

There are some parts that have value when sold seperate...it can be done.
A basketcase with the correct motor and tranny is worth saving.
The entire rest of the car can be had aftermarket...all of it.
What cannot be bought is a number matching car...

I will need to explain, you need to learn what a real numbers matching 356 is...its the chassis, motor, tranny, both doors, hood, deck lid, dash.
all those parts have the serial number...and all of them are looked at when you show a car.

If you can get it for the right price, I could connect you with a few respectable guys that you can flip the whole car to...they are always shopping for projects.

Do some research on www.356registry.org

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 20 2009, 09:14 PM) *

agree.gif

Don't cut it up. If you can't fix it, sell it to someone who can ...
shades.gif Andy
RiqueMar
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 20 2009, 09:14 PM) *

I have had more than a few of them.
First, show a few pics.
There are not alot of unique parts that bring loads of value.

How much do they want for it?
Post a few pics...exterior and interior.

There are some parts that have value when sold seperate...it can be done.
A basketcase with the correct motor and tranny is worth saving.
The entire rest of the car can be had aftermarket...all of it.
What cannot be bought is a number matching car...

I will need to explain, you need to learn what a real numbers matching 356 is...its the chassis, motor, tranny, both doors, hood, deck lid, dash.
all those parts have the serial number...and all of them are looked at when you show a car.

If you can get it for the right price, I could connect you with a few respectable guys that you can flip the whole car to...they are always shopping for projects.

Do some research on www.356registry.org

Rich

Will post pictures tomorrow.

As for the car, it's bad. The deck lid, even though it is perfect, wouldnt even open because the wire is probably rusted to the guide.

The back half is really good, and oddly, it has 4 exhaust tips really close to one another. The interior along with the floor is non exhistant.

Doors are good.

Decklid is what tells me what it is, as it has double vents.

Rear bumper is good.

Gauges are probably good as are the rims.

I'm pretty sure i can get it for between 4 and 6 grand.
r_towle
get it.
clean it up, put it on ebay...make a few bucks (dont get greedy and it will sell) and have a nice life.

Take out the grills to get in to the latch
Rich
RiqueMar
I'm not sure if it's a 62-63 or a 64 SC.

It would be awesome if I could buy it for 4 and make a few grand
r_towle
post a pic...I can get you in range of what its worth retail.

Rich
RiqueMar
Pics to come tomorrow!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 21 2009, 12:06 AM) *

1962 356 T6 Coupe "B" SC

Pick one.
it's a B or an SC - can't be both, and it can't be an SC if it's a '62...

SC's have disk brakes and 5x130 (a la 901) wheels. Earlier cars wide-5 and drum brakes.

Need pictures. Go cruise the 356Registry web forum and website. Lots of ways to know exactly what you have.

If it's a 62 Karmann notchback, you have found the 914 of the 356 world - it's a love it or hate it model. ( I kinda like 'em.. )

Today's restoration candidates are better than lots of cars that were cut up for parts only 20 years ago...
ClayPerrine
Send me picts, and I will pass them along to Al Zim... he is one of the trustees of the 356 Registry. He will know what the car is worth, and he may make you an offer.

scotty b
Get it
Porsche Rescue
popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly do not part it! Give someone the opportunity to save a piece of Porsche history. There is no more history being made by Porsche these days with all of the cheaper disposable cars they are making. The days of the unique air cooled Porsche are long over and only part of the history books, so it is up to all of us to save them.

"Forget the whales, and save a 914"
RiqueMar
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 21 2009, 08:09 AM) *

"Forget the whales, and save a 914"

Haha, that is becoming a shirt later on today.

This is getting interesting.

Pics will be up in a few hours, and I may go by to take a few more detailed pictures.

I did check the 356 registry, and I'm confused because it had an "SC" logo on the back, but as always, someone could have simply put it there. Also, my dad said that it could be a 64, I think.

If I could find someone that would give it love, I would probably opt to have it saved, because if it is that valuable, it's a piece of history.

Any thoughts on the four exhaust tips? They where really close together all bunched in the center.

Porsche Rescue
If it is an SC it has to be a '64 or '65 and it will have disc brakes and 5 lug wheels with 911 bolt pattern. The standard '64-65 model was the 356C. The 356SC had a more powerful engine.
The "twin grill" engine lid started in '62 with the T-6 body on the 356B's. Same twin grill lid was on the 64-65's. Simplest test, disc brakes it is a C, drums a B.
r_towle
Round front hood, like an A body car is a T5 B
Square front hood is a T6

Now, for the year, easiest to just get the VIN number from the door post and run that number via the registry web site. PM me before you accept an offer and I will tell you if someone is trying to steal it from you.

If you dont have the vin number handy...you can guess the year based upon the interior gauges, but that is not reliable...those can be changed easily.
Seats change over the years.
Motors change over the years, as do the trannies.

The SC logo could easily be added, I have seen many people do that.
Wide five lug bolts are old school VW style...
5 lug disk brakes are SC.

If you can only see the wheels with hubcaps on them, the disk brake hubcaps are flat, the drum brake hub caps are moon shaped like a beetle.

Aside from that, a few pics is all it will take to tell you what it really is.

If you can get it for short money...get it and sit on it for a bit...think about it.
They are really simple to rebuild...longs and floors are simple to replace...easier than a 914.
Make sure the tunnel comes with the car...

RIch

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 21 2009, 01:09 PM) *

Simplest test, disc brakes it is a C, drums a B.

I agree with drums it is a B.
However, while it's not quite as easy to put disk brakes on a B as it is an 'SC' emblem, it was and remains quite common. (While it's possible to re-sleeve drums, we are starting to see cars with significant wear in the splines. NLA was in the process of having repros cast but I haven't checked in to see how that's going...) So - if it has disk brakes, you still have to dig deeper.

Any thoughts on the four exhaust tips?

one of the dozens of aftermarket exhausts available for 356. Abarth made one in that style that actually made some power, but they are rare, and spawned many copies. most of which weren't as good as the factory exhaust.

Almost any coupe in the B/C range has enough parts available to be restorable as a driver. However, market reality is that the open cars bring the big money, and it's at least as easy to get upside-down restoring a 356 Coupe as a 914. That doesn't bother me, and I am restoring my Coupe because I want to, but I am not deluding myself that it is an 'investment.'
r_towle
agree.gif

You can spend up to 30k to restore a 25k car.
If you have a real SC, all restored it is worth about 40-50k....but you will wait for that price...especially now.

A fully restored T6B will get close to 30k.

If you write checks to restore your car, keep a tight budget.
If you do the work, you can get the body done fairly reasonable...its still just sheet metal.
The motor work is getting more and more expensive..
A set of main bearings is close to $600 now...just because no one is making them and you have to hunt them down and find them.

Rich
RiqueMar
As much as I would love to make this a project after my teener, it's just not gonna happen. I'm transferring to SFSU in the Fall, and I just convinced my Dad that it is alright to take the 914.

If this would have happened in 5 years, it would have been possible, but I still have the teener to finish, and next in line is a 60' Thunderbird.

Trust me, as bad as it is, I would love to make this car emblem worthy again.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 21 2009, 05:07 PM) *

...next in line is a 60' Thunderbird.

What kind of boat is a 60' Thunderbird ?
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
zambezi
Rust repair can get very involved with the 356. I just finished the metal work on the speedster and it is ready to go off to get dipped and E-coated before the body work. As you can see a lot of metal needed to be replaced. This was a running driving car too before I started the restoration.
JIM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.