Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: City/highway driving with highbeams, driving lights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
If you live in the city/suburbia how common is it in your area for people to drive with:

*Super bright headlamps?
*High beams on full time?
*Driving lights on full time?
*Headlights way out of alignment, especially the super bright light?
*Highbeams/driving lights on full time AND out of alignment?

THESE PEOPLE ARE ARE BLINDING EVERYONE IN FRONT OF THEM!

There is no need for people to drive in the city with driving lamps or high beams on full time, if needed at all, it should only be for brief moments.

Pretty much everytime I get in the car at night this is an issue around here, on the highways and around town.

Lifted trucks that don't get their headlights properly aligned.

Some BMW/Benz/Lexus - type owners with the super bright lights are blinding.

The 914 sits low and I expect normal lights to be a problem, I am not talking about normal lighting...I am talking about people who are not considerate and feel like they have to light up the whole sky (not the road surface).

:scream:
zonedoubt
What bugs me more are people driving around with no headlights at all especially at dawn/dusk. Here in Canada cars are equipped with headlight system that comes on automatically when the car is running, but this doesn't include rear lights. Many people seem to have got lazy and don't bother to activate their full lighting system.
dkjens
It boggles me when people don't turn their lights on when it's raining. We've had a little more rain this year than the previous many here in So. Cal. this winter, and you can be driving to work in the morning, on the freeway, water spraying everywhere, your side mirrors all hazed etc., and there are fools driving without their lights on. They should teach the rule "when using the window wipers, turn your lights on."

I haven't driven a/my 914 for some years now, but I remember that I could never see the light fixture on a cruiser's roof for the 914 roll bar when they were behind me, always had to turn the radio off and listen for verbal directions if they were pulling me over he he.
Bruce Hinds
I think I've only needed my Fog's twice in 25 years... soooooo, I replaced them with bright driving lights and pulled the connetor on the fuse panel off the low beam circut and moved it to the high beam circut.

Now when one of those inconciderate bastards won't dim, or can't because they aren't adjusted properly, I can really give him a taste of what it's like.

Revenge is mine!
9146racing
the people you are talking about were given a whole chapter in my book
"surounded by idiots" !!! unfortunatly i will never be able to finish it, since i have to update it daily!.
ar15.gif
johnnie5
QUOTE(dkjens @ Feb 21 2009, 07:56 AM) *

It boggles me when people don't turn their lights on when it's raining. We've had a little more rain this year than the previous many here in So. Cal. this winter, and you can be driving to work in the morning, on the freeway, water spraying everywhere, your side mirrors all hazed etc., and there are fools driving without their lights on. They should teach the rule "when using the window wipers, turn your lights on.".

agree.gif I believe it is actually a law that your headlights must be on when it is raining.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Feb 21 2009, 12:42 PM) *

I believe it is actually a law that your headlights must be on when it is raining.

Yes, it is a law.

However, it is not -the- law.

IOW - varies by state and the vehicle code.

When last I checked, it was the case in NJ, but not PA.
NJ is more like CA than either likes to believe...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 21 2009, 07:33 AM) *

*Super bright headlamps?
*High beams on full time?
*Driving lights on full time?
*Headlights way out of alignment, especially the super bright light?
*Highbeams/driving lights on full time AND out of alignment?

All of which is illegal in the fatherland and will earn you a ticket.

Maybe CA should adopt some of those rules ...
idea.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 21 2009, 08:13 AM) *

I think I've only needed my Fog's twice in 25 years... soooooo, I replaced them with bright driving lights and pulled the connetor on the fuse panel off the low beam circut and moved it to the high beam circut.

Now when one of those inconciderate bastards won't dim, or can't because they aren't adjusted properly, I can really give him a taste of what it's like.

Revenge is mine!

"Revenge" is the ONLY possible use for "driving" lights mounted as low as fog lights. They're USELESS as real driving lights. BTW, the auxillary lights Jeff is complaining about are the so-called "fog lights" with which many new cars are equipped. The manner of use clearly indicates the levels of both self-centeredness and stupidity prevalent among the offending drivers. The Cap'n
jim_hoyland
I rarely drive my 914 at night anymore... sad.gif
Katmanken
It's not just the fog lights....

Nothing says f*ck you like installing 10,000,000,000 candlepower lights to
1. look cool.
2. to add a little extra brightness so that YOU can see where you are going..
3. Cause those annoying other cars on the road to either run off the road OR stay as far away from your vehicle as they can..

Discovered a litte trick or two...

When a doofus with brites comes up behind you and lights up your interior way brighter than daylight,

Reach up and start rocking that rear view mirror so that the reflected light hits them in the eyes.....

9 times out of 10 the idiot either backs off or kills the highbeams....

Or, if they are coming at you with their brights, light up your high beams... it will actually help you see where you are going....

Ken
drew365
I pass a 4X4 with a high lift kit just about every night on my drive home. He has two sets of headlights, the stock ones up high and a second set he installed hanging down from his bumper, and all 4 are always on. Damn, I'd like to use them for target practice some night
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 21 2009, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 21 2009, 08:13 AM) *

Revenge is mine!

"Revenge" is the ONLY possible use for "driving" lights mounted as low as fog lights. They're USELESS as real driving lights. BTW, the auxillary lights Jeff is complaining about are the so-called "fog lights" with which many new cars are equipped. The manner of use clearly indicates the levels of both self-centeredness and stupidity prevalent among the offending drivers. The Cap'n

SURE, driving lights mounted hi are more effective... so mount yours on your roof if you like. I've owned two teeners with the fogs replaced with series 95 Cebies(1 mile reflective range). Two lane highways through the mountains and on the highways at 70-90 mph you can see a whole lot more of the road ahead than just with high beams. They work great and look great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.