Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: questions for you subaru conversion guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
kenny is looking into a used outback to replace his crunched dd. we are looking to spend $5,000 and can find them around the 100,000 mile mark. from what i've seen a well maintained one should see 200,000

in looking into these (2.5) engines, blown head gaskets and oil leaks keep coming up. any experiances with this and/or is this just a poor maintenance issue (headgasket)?

what should we look out for on one of these used cars?

is the 2.2 better (reliability) or other?

mike
pktzygt
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 21 2009, 04:51 PM) *

kenny is looking into a used outback to replace his crunched dd. we are looking to spend $5,000 and can find them around the 100,000 mile mark. from what i've seen a well maintained one should see 200,000

in looking into these (2.5) engines, blown head gaskets and oil leaks keep coming up. any experiances with this and/or is this just a poor maintenance issue (headgasket)?

what should we look out for on one of these used cars?

is the 2.2 better (reliability) or other?

mike

I am only experienced with the 2.0 ans 2.5 turbo motors, which are a whole different beast. Do some searching on nasioc.com.
carreraguy
Hi Mike:
Mine was a turnkey by Renegade so I don't have a wealth of info re: other Subie engine options. As I recall, Renegade highly recommended the 2.0 liter (EJ20) turbo; they said its a lot easier to deal with the harness conversion and other install issues. There are plenty of other Subie converters on this forum that I'm sure have more recommendations.
orange914
thanks guys for the responses. i think i need to clairify abit. we are looking to buy the whole vehicle as a dd. i figured i'd pick the brains of you suby conversion guys out here. what is your experiances with any weaknesses related to these drivetrains and what to watch out for in buying a used (2000ish) outback/impreza.

is the (non turbo) 2.2 better mechanically/reliability than 2.5?

is headgasket failure at 80,000 miles a weakness or myth?
carreraguy

[/quote]
Do some searching on nasioc.com.
[/quote]

Mike, if you are asking about which Subaru to buy, agree.gif
Subaru Owners Club is a friendly bunch.
DBCooper
I owned a 97 twin cam 2.5 in a GT wagon. Fabulous grocery getter. You didn't say what year, but the only Subaru engine with a head gasket problem was the 96-99 twin cam 2.5. Subaru came out with a five layer head gasket that solved the problem, so if it's a twin cam that's been fixed then it's not a problem any more. If it's any other engine than the 2.5 liter twin cam it won't be a problem. And if it needs to be done it's not a big deal. It's a little like condemning all Porsche engines because the T4 drops valve seats. I've fixed both, done the work myself, and the Subaru's easier and cheaper to fix than a dropped seat in the T4.

Subaru's are great. The WRX engine in my 914 is a 2.0, different engine. I thrash the hell out of it but I'm pretty sure the rest of the car will give up before that motor. It doesn't complain a bit, just change the oil.
dlo914
Great info, my buddy just picked up a clean roller for a suby project. As far as the wiring harness goes does anyone know a good place to get the 914 harness spliced with the subaru harness? And how are you guys fabbing up the engine mounts?
charliew
On the motor mounts do the search thing, lots of solutions. On the buying a suby for a dd go to nasioc, not here.
orange914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 21 2009, 08:38 PM) *

the only Subaru engine with a head gasket problem was the 96-99 twin cam 2.5. Subaru came out with a five layer head gasket that solved the problem, so if it's a twin cam that's been fixed then it's not a problem any more. If it's any other engine than the 2.5 liter twin cam it won't be a problem.

Subaru's are great.

DB, that's what i was wondering beerchug.gif . i'm speaking from ignorance still... is the 2.5 engine in the 96-2002ish outback (not impreza) the twin cam refered to? wouldn't you think they have all been upgraded by now at 100,000 miles?

mike
charliew
Also the dohc suby is a interference motor and if the belt breaks it's pretty expensive to repair.
orange914
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 23 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Also the dohc suby is a interference motor and if the belt breaks it's pretty expensive to repair.

1 are the (98 trhu 02ish legacy and impreza) 2.2 and 2.5 both same family AND dohc engines?

2 are only some interferance motors

3 are all belt (no chain) driven?
dlo914
I posted up a thread on NASIOC.com earlier tonight asking about the EJ22, since we found one for a smoking deal and are planning to use it for our 914 suby project. Here's the thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706487
74 sunflower 914
You might also want to look at a Forester. It is based on the shorter-wheelbase Impreza and so can be set up for more nimble handling than a Legacy. Here is a link about 2003+ Foresters (basically tall sti's). You can sometimes find high mileage examples for $5K or a bit more. I've owned 2 and they are super-reliable, fun to drive (for an SUV) and seem to handle the mild off-road stuff more comfortably than the Grand Cherokee we had.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f7...ti-cheap-10696/

orange914
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Feb 23 2009, 11:23 PM) *

I posted up a thread on NASIOC.com earlier tonight asking about the EJ22, since we found one for a smoking deal and are planning to use it for our 914 suby project. Here's the thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706487

thanks i'll read up

i'm thinking about checking this one out, it's a salvage title, but... it may fit our needs though... under $5k, lowest miles i've seen on 98-00's, new clutch and nice color/spoiler options (fairly rare), loaded sport package. the 00's seem to range high 5k to mid 7k. i'm thinking to offer 4k out the door if it checks out. what do you think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u...;standard=false
orange914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 24 2009, 05:18 PM) *

thanks i'll read up

i'm thinking about checking this one out, it's a salvage title, but... it may fit our needs though... under $5k, lowest miles i've seen on 98-00's, new clutch and nice color/spoiler options (fairly rare), loaded sport package. the 00's seem to range high 5k to mid 7k. i'm thinking to offer 4k out the door if it checks out. what do you think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u...;standard=false

SOLD... picked it up for $4k out the door. 2.2 5speed outback sport, 96,000 miles, sunroof, both rear spoilers and new clutch. the std. features of air, power windows/locks all work good. it is a salvage title but had quality rear quarter repair. drives down the road solid, straight and quite.
WRX914
From what I hear the reason why they blow the headgaskets is it is made out of an organic material. Get the Cometic laminate gasket and the problem is fixed for good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.