Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Why all lower case font?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
This one's puzzled me and I'm sure there's a simple answer:

For address and transactions etc. I find a lot of people using all lower case (which is a pain for me as I do not have front end/back end integration. E.G.:

joe smith
123 main street
anytown, us 12345

Is there a reason for this? Is it a fraud security issue?
RJMII
unix/linux are case sensitive, so some programmers have got into the habbit of using all lowercase letters.
take for instance my post; can you tell i've been doing more sql and vis basic lately?
sww914
They couldn't finish high school English classes and haven't read anything more demanding than a fast food menu since then.
ericread
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM ANYWAY???
davesprinkle
It's the same guys that misspell "the" as "teh".
SirAndy
QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 21 2009, 06:14 PM) *

unix/linux are case sensitive, so some programmers have got into the habbit of using all lowercase letters.

Bad programming, IMHO ...

For comparison only, convert both strings to lowercase, then compare.

That way, you don't force people to abandon their proper English.
shades.gif Andy
SLITS
i'm to lazy to hit the shift key or caps lock ......

get over it.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2009, 07:12 PM) *

For address and transactions etc. I find a lot of people using all lower case (which is a pain for me as I do not have front end/back end integration. E.G.:

joe smith
123 main street
anytown, us 12345

I find the same thing. I ship a lot and people use all lower case for their Paypal address which I can't just copy and paste. I was stumped about why this was so frequent in the last year or so and have come to the conclusion it's from all the text messaging where it's faster to skip and people just get used to seeing it that way. Write for Pete Stout and see if you get away with that...... slap.gif
Katmanken
Ratshit Sid taught me all about what programmers put int their code....

Cuss worrds....

He loved to write things like "goto HELL" into the code used in our products.

Ken
jd74914
A lot of programs are case sensitive. I do a lot of work in Matlab (which is one), but still type correctly.

I think for most people it is a speed issue. Why one would do that on an address input is beyond me though. I often type without caps when writing short notes to friends completely for the increased speed. Its not difficult to read unless punctuation is disregarded. laugh.gif Doing that during a "business" correspondence doesn't make sense.
Sleepin
ThAt'S InSaNe! WhY wOuLd AnYoNe Do ThAt? biggrin.gif
scotty b
ithinkthereareseveralreasonsforthisincludingalackofpropergrammaticaleducationino
urschoolsystemsalackofcaretodoanythingproperlyanymoretheneedtospeeduptomantainyo
urplaceinsocietyandgenerallazynessforsomeitmaybeonlyoneforsomeiaybeacombinationo
falltitseemstobeforthelast10+yearstobecooltonotcareitiscooltobeslackyesthishasbe
enaroundlongerthanthatbutrecentlyithasbecomeveryuncooltobeeducatedintelligentand
properitisjustanotherpartofourdownfallasasocietyandabreedwatchthemovieidiocracys
ometimeverypoorlydoneverytoungeincheekbutverywellthougthoutpoorgrammarpoorsenten
cestructurepoorhygenepoorsocialskillsevrythinginoiurlifehasbeenspeduptothepointt
hatwenowfeelwemustshortenandabbreviateevrytingwesayanddoorthepointwillnotgetacro
ss

lookattvforonewatchanoldtvshowandseehomanytimesthroughoutahalfhourshowthescenech
angesHoneymoonerswasbasedin2-3setstopsDickVanDykewasbasedon4- 5setstyopsmodernshowsareconstantlychangingscenesandarefullofdistarctionstokeepou
rattentionthisinitselfhasledtoourdumbingdowniftvhasmadeyouholdyourattentinbycons
tantlychangingthescenehowwillachildeverhaveanyattentionspanatall

WOW that was really hard to do. I had to go back numerous times and delete where I had hit the space bar, punctuated, or capitalized. I think I just dumbed myself down 3-4 points huh.gif
dkjens
I think it also comes from entering email addresses, where often initial caps aren't necessary and doesn't matter. Also, I'm sure most people don't know it actually matters per your explanation in the first post. What gets me is all the people who don't know or don't care about the difference between we're, were, where and they're, there, their or your and you're, or no and know, that to me is third grade knowledge, and I didn't even go to school here he he.
sww914
And while we're on the subject, these drive me nuts too. On a car, it's brakes, not breaks. It's flares, not flairs. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
brp986s
QUOTE(dkjens @ Feb 22 2009, 09:20 AM) *

I think it also comes from entering email addresses, where often initial caps aren't necessary and doesn't matter. Also, I'm sure most people don't know it actually matters per your explanation in the first post. What gets me is all the people who don't know or don't care about the difference between we're, were, where and they're, there, their or your and you're, or no and know, that to me is third grade knowledge, and I didn't even go to school here he he.

Not to mention: to, too, it's and its. I'm often guilty of the low cap thing due to sql and unix stuff, as well as being a "floor potato". My laptop is on the floor; one hand props my head, the other types.
PanelBilly
I started doing it as a way to help me identify snail and email that was automatically sent. I figured the automated programs would just copy and paste the name. When something shows up in the mail and its all lower case I know it is part of a mass mailing. I don't think it really helps, just got to be a habbit. I'll try to pay closer attention when I'm dealing with folks like you.

bILLY sHOTT

The devil made me do it
scotty b
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 22 2009, 09:51 AM) *

And while we're on the subject, these drive me nuts too. On a car, it's brakes, not breaks. It's flares, not flairs. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Yeah I started being a dick a year or two ago and acted as the " spelling genie " correcting peoples errors. I think I pissed a few off stirthepot.gif I was trying to help raise the boards standards rolleyes.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(dkjens @ Feb 22 2009, 09:20 AM) *

What gets me is all the people who don't know or don't care about the difference between we're, were, where and they're, there, their or your and you're, or no and know, that to me is third grade knowledge, and I didn't even go to school here he he.

Extraneous apostrophe's are a pet peeve of mine. (Yes, I am aware of the irony)

As for improper case usage, I always chuckle to myself when someone fails to capitalize their own name... I figure it's a lack of self-esteem biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
2 finger typer. add who's, whose to the list. ALL OR NOTHING. WHICH WOULD YOU preFER?

LITTLE k. poor self esteem
ericread
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 22 2009, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 22 2009, 09:51 AM) *

Yeah I started being a dick a year or two ago and acted as the " spelling genie " correcting peoples errors. I think I pissed a few off stirthepot.gif I was trying to help raise the boards standards rolleyes.gif

How many boards standards are you trying to raise? Or were you trying to raise this board's standards?

lol-2.gif headbang.gif lol-2.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 21 2009, 06:12 PM) *

joe smith
123 main street
anytown, us 12345

I thought it was against the law to have back end integration in Utah? lol-2.gif
Dr. Roger
even though the beginnings of the internet were very case sensitive (military and .edu's), AOL was the first to mass market AOL "chat".

chatters invented their own language and discovered it is sometimes very difficult to read tonal inflection while reading written word, so lower case words infer normal tone and ALL CAPS INFER YELLING.

typing in all lower case letters reflects a calmness of my tone.

IMHO, rap music dumbs down people. icon8.gif lower case is OK by me. punctuation and spelling are my pet peeves. shades.gif

grouphug.gif
dgw
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 22 2009, 02:05 AM) *

i'm to lazy to hit the shift key or caps lock ......

get over it.

me too, i type all day.
Cap'n Krusty
Another irritant is the misuse of the possessive, as in "There are 2 Porsche's over there ..........

The Cap'n
brer
its cool on some boards to not use caps ever
or punctuation
notice how clean and stylish my post looks
murt
Hey!

That's my real name. But you got the address wrong. (Although NJ might as well be "anywhere USA")

Joe Smith
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(brer @ Feb 22 2009, 06:16 PM) *

or punctuation

OMG, my first belly laugh of the day.

thanks. biggrin.gif

and sooo true.
driving.gif
Eric_Shea
I thought it was against the law to have back end integration in Utah?

The wife is Brazilian... cool_shades.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2009, 10:15 PM) *

Really? My uncle married a Brazilian. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Both of their kids are fluent in both English and Portuguese, and are living in the SLC area.

Oops. sorry about the proper use of punctuation and capitalization; I'll try not to let it happen again.
charliew
I'm a little confused. Which might be considered by some to be my normal state. I believe that when I type my name in lc it means I don't really give a s**t what someone thinks about my self esteem. I don't really worry too much about what other people think and I also don't look into mirrors to see how good I look. I wasn't aware that lc messed up anyone's computer system for addresses. I think my pay pal addy is in lc and I'm not real sure how to edit it and most people are happy to take my money any way they can get it.

I didn't know this could be considered a garage topic but that just shows what I know.

I really can use the shift key but sometimes I don't. My left hand has had nerve damage for 4 yrs. and my wife still asks me why I type with one hand. What does that tell you about our relationship?
She on the other hand doesn't mind asking me to fix all the stuff that needs repairing in her world.
ericread
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 22 2009, 09:58 PM) *

I'm a little confused. Which might be considered by some to be my normal state. I believe that when I type my name in lc it means I don't really give a s**t what someone thinks about my self esteem. I don't really worry too much about what other people think and I also don't look into mirrors to see how good I look. I wasn't aware that lc messed up anyone's computer system for addresses. I think my pay pal addy is in lc and I'm not real sure how to edit it and most people are happy to take my money any way they can get it.

I didn't know this could be considered a garage topic but that just shows what I know.

I really can use the shift key but sometimes I don't. My left hand has had nerve damage for 4 yrs. and my wife still asks me why I type with one hand. What does that tell you about our relationship?
She on the other hand doesn't mind asking me to fix all the stuff that needs repairing in her world.

HAHAHA! Seriously... From Crawford Texas... Can only type with one hand... A bit confused...

Mr. President Bush. So glad you could join us! Do you now own a 914?

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 22 2009, 09:15 PM) *

Oh dear... Well carry on then. rolleyes.gif
Eric_Shea
Really? My uncle married a Brazilian. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Both of their kids are fluent in both English and Portuguese, and are living in the SLC area.

Sim wink.gif

Oh dear... Well carry on then.

Hey! How bout those Cubs?
zymurgist
While we're at it... the word is "ridiculous", not "rediculous."

Use "rediculous" and chances are you will be ridiculed for it.
scotty b
QUOTE(brer @ Feb 22 2009, 06:16 PM) *

or punctuation

little red porsche
how i long for you to run
you are a rust pile

bank account is small
my dreams are much much larger
i must wake up now

sand bondo long time
make tiny arms bit bigger
make back hurt more too
lotus_65
it's chill, i've been doing it since the '90's...

AND IT'S WAAAAYYY BETTER THAN PEOPLE YELLING ALL THE TIME!
bperry
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 22 2009, 10:57 AM) *

ThAt'S InSaNe! WhY wOuLd AnYoNe Do ThAt? biggrin.gif

Spoken like a true Novell programmer.... biggrin.gif
MDG
Superb Haiku; your morae impeccable, your wisdom inspiring. Now, if only people will use duct tape and not duck tape when installing flares . . .

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 23 2009, 06:06 PM) *

little red porsche
how i long for you to run
you are a rust pile

bank account is small
my dreams are much much larger
i must wake up now

sand bondo long time
make tiny arms bit bigger
make back hurt more too

bandjoey
me, i'm short. my laptop is on a tall desk, and i can't get my pinkey fingers to reach over to the shift key. did i say i'm short? ouch, hitting the ? really hurt my hand. or i'm just lazy. blink.gif bill
Lavanaut
ric, there are dangerous overhangs inside the nternet tubes. yping in all lowers greatly increases the chances of your information arriving intact. t's just a matter of increasing your odds. hat's all.

eid
sixaddict
Ya'll have a lot of spare time !

[quote name='ericread' date='Feb 22 2009, 10:38 AM' post='1136944']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 22 2009, 10:03 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[quote name='sww914' post='1136922' date='Feb 22 2009, 09:51 AM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

How many boards standards are you trying to raise? Or were you trying to raise this board's standards?

lol-2.gif headbang.gif lol-2.gif
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.