Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My on-going project. HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RobertD
Hey guys I have a 75 1.8 that I have had in my garage for 12 years, bought a new house, started my own business, pulled the car into the grage and started re-doing a lot of it then just left it sit. I have the fiberglass flairs and the 916 look-alike bumpers front and rear. Just last year converted the front suspension over to a 911T with Bilstien struts, turbo tie rods, and a factory sway bar, and a 19mm master cylinder. Rear also 5 lug using hubs and 914/6 rotors. SS brake lines, all new performance suspension bushings, wheel bearings front and rear, and rebuilt calipers front and rear. Years ago I worked on the engine replacing almost every fuel injection part with new. When I bought the car in the 80's, yes I did drive a few times in the years that I have owned it, I added a new complete clutch kit from AA, and a new starter. So a lot of parts are new.
Still not complete, funding, time, or any other excuse I can think of? Anyway I plan on pulling the engine and doing a little work on it. I need some input here?
I wish to buy, of Ebay a complete 1.8 pistons, rings, cylinder kit made buy AA Performance, and replace mine as I honestly don't know how many miles are on mine. The car was sold to me with the engine rebuilt in the 80's? Maybe it was maybe it wasn't? I do know that I do not have a thermostat setup at all? I did buy the cooling flaps last year so I'm in search of the thermostat to do whats needed. I have only put 3000 miles or less on this car in 26 or so years that I have owned it. Car covered in the early years, and garage kept for the last 13 years. I did start the engine from time to time while in storage.
I want to know should I do the cylinder replacement, and if so can I do it without cracking the case, or if I'm in that deep, go ahead and crack the case and do all bearings? What is the effect on only the cylinder kit replacement without a complete engine rebuild? Anyway I can check the bottom end without splitting the case? Or just drive it as is untill I have to? Still fuel injected with new injectors adn most evryother sensor too. Yes like everyone trying to do so on a budget? However Porsche and budget should honestly not be stated inat the same time.
I have a monster 8.5 foot tall Tahoe that is my daily driver. I really would like to drive my car and park my truck a while.
No not painted either. Hope to drive this year. Any input?
Robert in KY driving-girl.gif
type47
seems to me that if you "started the engine from time to time", you have a "running" engine. since you mention a reference to funding, if i was in your place, (and this will be contraty to one of those Cap'n quotes "do it right the first time or do it over") i'd do a top end: refresh the heads and inspect the p&c's for in spec and hone and re-ring. get the car running and see what other issues pop up (brakes, suspension and other things from sitting so long).
Bartlett 914
Hi Robert.

Why are you replacing the PC's? Did you run a compression check? If not then I would run the engine for some miles (I would doubt compression readings on a motor that had been sitting for an extended period) and then do a compression check. I would then decide if this work is necessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.