Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More than a shifter adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sEEkEr
Well...the car is stuck in the 1st/Reverse plane....no manner of adjustment will move the shift arm to 2-3-4-5....

Shift arm is not binding, set screws are tight. I can manually rotate the shift arm clockwise, but the shifterdoes not...

Shifter mechanism looks fine, almost as new...what am I missing here??????

TIA
Brodie
echocanyons
Knowing next to nothing about transmissions except what I learned from the good doctors trans course, I would guess the trans is stuck in two gears.

Did you tray and disconnect the linkage and move the selector at the trans?
sEEkEr
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 22 2009, 01:37 PM) *

Knowing next to nothing about transmissions except what I learned from the good doctors trans course, I would guess the trans is stuck in two gears.

Did you tray and disconnect the linkage and move the selector at the trans?

Hey Kelly,

I can put it in first and drive it, and I can put it in reverse. And yes, I can manually move the selector with a pipewrench. It seems the shifter is not rotating the shift rod properly....
echocanyons
Oh OK, I thought it was essentially stuck in a gear.

I'm guessing it is a side shifter, if not check the bushing under the shifter.

When you move the shifter left to right does it move the shaft?

Did you try loosening the connection near the shaft in the tunnel and rotate it? This is the adjuster for the R/1, 2/3 4/5 shifter planes.

Make sure you tighten it well after you are finished.

Did this happen suddenly?
zx-niner
Something I just recently learned, the seat belt bolts are of different length. I put the longer bolt in the driver's receiver unit and it extended so far into the tunnel that it prevented the the shift rod from moving and rotating into 4th and 5th gear. I can see that adjustment modifications or an even longer bolt would have prevented it from shifting into 2nd and 3rd as well.
sEEkEr
Looking down in the rear inspection plate I can see the bolt does not protrude. I bought this car with the engine and trans removed and stuck it back together last weekend....been trying to adjust the shifter all week....

I'm not new to 914's but am new to side shifters...many incremental adjustments have not even gotten me close to grabbing other gears...
rhodyguy
i'm a little confused. you're saying you can engage 2-3-4-5 with the selector at the trans?

k
sEEkEr
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 22 2009, 02:16 PM) *

i'm a little confused. you're saying you can engage 2-3-4-5 with the selector at the trans?

k

Not exactly....I can manually rotate the shift rod clockwise to the stop...the shifter doesnt seem to rotate it....seems to just move it laterally from side to side....
rhodyguy
if you disconnect the front from the rear rod, can you engage the other gears at the trans? that is what i'm asking, "if the other gears can be engaged at all".

sEEkEr
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 22 2009, 02:32 PM) *

if you disconnect the front from the rear rod, can you engage the other gears at the trans? that is what i'm asking, "if the other gears can be engaged at all".

I'll go try that....
sEEkEr
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 22 2009, 02:32 PM) *

Can't make it happen...bet bet the shift forks are bent....this car was taken apart for a clutch replacement...I bet the P.O. was thrashing it at some point......
sEEkEr
I went ahead and yanked the tranny...I'll take it apart this week and report my findings for future searchers.....
Dr Evil
Did your car come with a side shifter? Was it converted to a side shifter? What kind of coupler do you have at the bottom of your shift lever in the cabin; Ball in cup or blade in fork?

I am having trouble understanding your problem. Is it that you basically get front to back in one plane, 1-R, but that when you move the shift lever side to side you get no other gears? BUT, you can shift it outside by applying the pipe wrench? This last part would show that your tranny insides are fine and that your problem is out side the box. How is the shift coupler by the fire wall? Bushings installed, deteriorated?
sEEkEr
Hey Mike...

1st/Reverse shifted finefrom the shifter, couldn't grab any other gears after numerous adjustments....when I unhooked the shift rod in the rear I couldn't shift it from the sideshifter, only rotate it to the stop, that told me it was internal....I should have checked that a week ago... biggrin.gif

Blade in fork (75)....Bushings are as new....
r_towle
It sounds like the shifter forks are not lined up correctly.

Rich
sEEkEr
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 22 2009, 07:56 PM) *

It sounds like the shifter forks are not lined up correctly.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Hopefully it's something simple like this...I've got it back on the bench and I'm gonna tear into it tonight.... idea.gif
yellow914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 22 2009, 11:00 AM) *

Oh OK, I thought it was essentially stuck in a gear.

I'm guessing it is a side shifter, if not check the bushing under the shifter.

When you move the shifter left to right does it move the shaft?

Did you try loosening the connection near the shaft in the tunnel and rotate it? This is the adjuster for the R/1, 2/3 4/5 shifter planes.

Make sure you tighten it well after you are finished.

Did this happen suddenly?

Kelly, your avitar is making me barf.gif !...
echocanyons

Kelly, your avitar is making me barf.gif !...

Are you sure it isn't my post? I sometimes get sick after re-reading what I post too. lol-2.gif
sEEkEr
UPDATE:

After loosening the shift consol slightly I can now manually grab all gears piratenanner.gif

However, when re-cinched the shaft still wont move out of the 1st/R plane.... huh.gif

And yes, I was hypmotized by Kelly's avatar myself.... blink.gif
Dr Evil
Yup, your fork is not hitting the right spots. I dont know why it would happen all of the sudden. Well, I cant think of any reasonable explanation for it.
sEEkEr
Mike,

The car was apart when I bought it, with the worn clutch the PO was probably throashing the gear box for awhile....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.