Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Resurrection, Part II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
Just got my first 914 and am in the process of making it a reliable weekender. The California car has over 175K miles and was a daily driver for the first 10 years with regular maintenance by the previous owner. Then it got an engine/trans rebuild and became a garage queen for the next 25 years with almost no miles in the last 10 years. After I bought it, the good folks at AA fixed some standard hell-hole rust and freshened up the drive-train consumables - cables, hoses and so on for the drive back to Maryland. Car runs great and traveled the 700 miles home without missing a beat.

Now for phase II. One tiny oil drip from the engine doesn't bother - nothing like the 71 911 I used to have. Seems to leak more trans fluid if anything. Blue oil which seems strange to me but it's definitely coming from the trans. I figure the brakes will need some attention as they seem spongy although they aren't leaking or dragging. The suspension must need some looking into as well as I know only too well what So Cal air quality can do to rubber components. My question now is what should I concentrate on next?

I've never owned a car anywhere near this old and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The blue fluid (ate blue) is probably a brake leak. I would look at the calipers or the flex lines. That is also why the brakes are spongy.

QUOTE(Nozzle @ Feb 22 2009, 11:57 AM) *

Just got my first 914 and am in the process of making it a reliable weekender. The California car has over 175K miles and was a daily driver for the first 10 years with regular maintenance by the previous owner. Then it got an engine/trans rebuild and became a garage queen for the next 25 years with almost no miles in the last 10 years. After I bought it, the good folks at AA fixed some standard hell-hole rust and freshened up the drive-train consumables - cables, hoses and so on for the drive back to Maryland. Car runs great and traveled the 700 miles home without missing a beat.

Now for phase II. One tiny oil drip from the engine doesn't bother - nothing like the 71 911 I used to have. Seems to leak more trans fluid if anything. Blue oil which seems strange to me but it's definitely coming from the trans. I figure the brakes will need some attention as they seem spongy although they aren't leaking or dragging. The suspension must need some looking into as well as I know only too well what So Cal air quality can do to rubber components. My question now is what should I concentrate on next?

I've never owned a car anywhere near this old and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

veltror
Put a battery cover on...
type47
not to mean to contradict the good doctor, especially since the car came through him biggrin.gif (AA right?), but isn't swepco transmission fluid a "blue" color? if it is coming from a caliper, then i would think it's Ate blue also.

PS. where is lexington park, MD and do you know about the hershey mid-engined invasion and the East Coast Cookout/Mid-Atlantic Mid-Engined Ramble?
Nozzle
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 22 2009, 04:19 PM) *

not to mean to contradict the good doctor, especially since the car came through him biggrin.gif (AA right?), but isn't swepco transmission fluid a "blue" color? if it is coming from a caliper, then i would think it's Ate blue also.

PS. where is lexington park, MD and do you know about the hershey mid-engined invasion and the East Coast Cookout/Mid-Atlantic Mid-Engined Ramble?

I think the brake fluid is clear from what I can see, at least it is in the reservoir. I've read that some folks feel the 914 brake system is spongy by design but as this if my first 914, I'm not sure if my setup is weak in some way or simply working as intended.

Lexington Park is in Southern Maryland - very Southern Maryland. Already have my reservations at the Palmyra for the Hershey Weekend in April. One of the main reasons I want to know what to put on my shopping list for the swap meet. smile.gif

East Coast Cookout/Mid-Atlantic Mid-Engined Ramble is news to me though. Any info on that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.