Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The dreaded broken door handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Broke the pot metal that anchors the door handle. It had been getting harder and harder to open so, I wasn't really surprised. The piece that holds the cylinder and attaches to the door is a real work. I would complain about it being pot metal but, it did last 34 years and being honest I have a few things that haven't held up that well on the old bod so, Porsche didn't do too bad.

The problem it how complex the shape of the piece is. It was apparent I couldn't make a new one and I didn't want to buy another one so I did what a lot of us do I jury rigged something. I had some scrap stainless and I'm always looking to fab something so I started cutting welding and grinding. I eliminated the nylon washers and basically splinted to the outside of the cylinder.

Here's what I came up with
dinomium
or you could call me, Dave. I have door handles...
URY914
Dave,

I do the same thing but I make them out of aluminum angles. I made the first one about 25 years ago. biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.