Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nominations for Mar/Apr: Car of the Month Contest!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Time for our Mar/Apr COTM!

The first five cars nominated (and seconded) will be be on the ballot. The winning car will be featured on the homepage during Mar/Apr. Also, the winner will receive a snazzy award-graphic for their member profile!!

Nomination Procedures

1. Example: Someone nominates (hypothetically) Betty's 1974 1.8 as COTM. Short narratives and/or details are not only allowed - they're encouraged!
2. The nomination must include the member's Board name and a picture of the car or a link to their 914World blog.
3. Someone else seconds that nomination for Betty's car (at this point, the nomination is official).
4. Once five cars have been nominated and seconded to be COTM, the nominations are complete.
5. Next, voting! (Please be fair. One vote per person, please. Don't use/register multiple accounts to cheat.)

Contest Rules

1. For the purpose of this contest, a "914" is defined as a car that started life and still retains the general shape and characteristics of a 914. (see previous postings for details)
2. Also, to be eligible for nomination, the car must be owned by an 914World Member. Because we want to preserve these pictures in the thread, please post the pictures here or link to an existing 914world thread/blog image. Do not link to pictures on external sites or photo hosting services.
3. The Admin team will open a separate thread for nominations before the beginning of the month. All COTM nominations must be "seconded" by another member. Once five COTM nominations that are seconded, nominations will be closed.
4. Any active (defined as at least 5 posts in the last month) 914World member may nominate any active member. The nomination must include the member's Board name and a picture of the car or a link to their 914World blog.
5. No self-nominations, please. smile.gif
6. We will open a thread for to vote for COTM. Voting will last 10 calendar days! The car with the greatest number of votes wins COTM!
7. Once a car wins Car of the Month, that car is not eligible to win again until the next calendar year.
8. A member fortunate enough to have two or more stunning cars may win multiple times a year - it's really the car that wins COTM, not the member.
ConeDodger
I nominate Dave Parson's 914. He goes by OttoX914 here I believe. Besides being a very tasty looking car, Dave is hiding a little known and often decried as impossible secret. He has a TURBO 914! Check out the tasty install... You have to sneak a peak under the driver side to see the hair dryer... The intercooler is the only visible sign when you peak through the engine lid... If you check the results in the Minnesota Autosports Club site you will see that Dave takes full advantage of the 914's natural dancing ability... Boy must have some talent too because they field 100+ at every event up there in summer... Can I get a witness? Second please!

Hey Dave! Do you have any other pics of that thing?
dw914er
I nominate John Bovey's beautiful 74 914-6 smile.gif. Now, I need to find a picture, but I def think that car is sure purtie.

he goes by Phoenix 914-6GT
carr914
I nominate Duc's (number6) 3.2 car. I know he bought a whole nuther car to upgrade this one.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
carr914
I don't know if I can nominate one member's car and 2nd another car, but here goes.

I 2nd Jon Bovey's (Phoenix914-6GT) car.

and here's a picture.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
ottox914
Hey Rob, thanks for the nomination. Hope this doesn't bend any rules, you asked for a few more pics, but you seen to have harvested plenty.

Here's the back story on those 2 autox pics: The first one, I had just gotten back from 3 wks on the road for work, flew in the night before, had time to check the air in the 3 yr old "R" tires, thats about it. Finished 3rd our of 106 cars, the 2 that beat me were a supercharged S2k with, as the owner puts it, "over 300 at the wheels" running 315 tires, and I believe that, as he went thru 4 diffs last season, and an XP miata that lives in a trailer and puts 280whp down thru 275's. The S2k's margin was .11, the XP car just .872. And I put my tires back in the car and drove home while they were messing with their trailers and tow vehicles.

The 2nd pic was our season ending event, this past year themed as "The Austin Powers Autocross", which explains the groovy flowers. I ran the event, designed and set the course, came up with silly games and prizes, etc. Not a very serious day. Finished 21st out of 113, with 5 of the top 20 being sm2 cars. I set a fast track that day, with tight times- 4th to 21st place were separated by less than .2, which made for some fun drama as the day unfolded for who would place where for raw time.

Here's one more pic of the interior. I'll sit back and watch now.

Thanks-

Dave (ottox914)
PeeGreen 914
Wow, nice car Dave. I second Dave's car beerchug.gif

Thanks Ben and T.C. aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Feb 23 2009, 04:55 AM) *

Hey Rob, thanks for the nomination. Hope this doesn't bend any rules, you asked for a few more pics, but you seen to have harvested plenty.

Here's the back story on those 2 autox pics: The first one, I had just gotten back from 3 wks on the road for work, flew in the night before, had time to check the air in the 3 yr old "R" tires, thats about it. Finished 3rd our of 106 cars, the 2 that beat me were a supercharged S2k with, as the owner puts it, "over 300 at the wheels" running 315 tires, and I believe that, as he went thru 4 diffs last season, and an XP miata that lives in a trailer and puts 280whp down thru 275's. The S2k's margin was .11, the XP car just .872. And I put my tires back in the car and drove home while they were messing with their trailers and tow vehicles.

The 2nd pic was our season ending event, this past year themed as "The Austin Powers Autocross", which explains the groovy flowers. I ran the event, designed and set the course, came up with silly games and prizes, etc. Not a very serious day. Finished 21st out of 113, with 5 of the top 20 being sm2 cars. I set a fast track that day, with tight times- 4th to 21st place were separated by less than .2, which made for some fun drama as the day unfolded for who would place where for raw time.

Here's one more pic of the interior. I'll sit back and watch now.

Thanks-

Dave (ottox914)

I love the attention to detail on your car Dave... Is that a HotLap? Where did you get the gauge pod that fits in the ashtray opening of the dash? I have to get me one of those quick release steering wheels... Thanks Jon for the second...
PeeGreen 914
Rob, you should be able to get one at your local flaps. That's where I got mine and it looks just like Daves.

I'd like to Nominate T.C.'s Root Werks 916 aktion035.gif
6freak
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 23 2009, 04:26 AM) *

I don't know if I can nominate one member's car and 2nd another car, but here goes.

I 2nd Jon Bovey's (Phoenix914-6GT) car.

and here's a picture.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Jon`s got my vote smilie_pokal.gif
dw914er
jon.... come to WCR.... ahaha

ill also second Dave's 914, because you cant turbo a 914 lol (i love your youtube videos btw)
PeeGreen 914

I really would like to Ben but I need to make sure I have some money coming in. Need to take care of my wife, 2 1/2 year old son and 7 month old daughter before I can go play. Looks like ales may be picking up for me though and I am trying as hard as I can to make it to the WCR.
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

sixnotfour

Ex-Jon Lowe GT build.

Not sure where it stands not as far as completion.
PeeGreen 914

That car is simply awesome. Can I second two cars? Well, if I can I will biggrin.gif. I secong Jeff's GT.
dw914er
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 23 2009, 12:20 PM) *

I really would like to Ben but I need to make sure I have some money coming in. Need to take care of my wife, 2 1/2 year old son and 7 month old daughter before I can go play. Looks like ales may be picking up for me though and I am trying as hard as I can to make it to the WCR.

i completely understand.... sell some houses lol biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
I'd like to Nominate T.C.'s Root Werks 916

Sorry 1:25th scale models are not qualified! biggrin.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 23 2009, 12:38 PM) *

I'd like to Nominate T.C.'s Root Werks 916

Sorry 1:25th scale models are not qualified! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif av-943.gif
championgt1
I would like to nominate this car owned by member HaraldD. I have no info on the car other than the picture. More info would be great!

Click to view attachment

FourBlades
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 23 2009, 10:27 AM) *

Rob, you should be able to get one at your local flaps. That's where I got mine and it looks just like Daves.

I'd like to Nominate T.C.'s Root Werks 916 aktion035.gif

I can second this nomination, having recently gone for a ride in this bad boy.

This car drives, looks, and especially sounds incredible.

The steel roof with sunroof is a nice touch that looks "right".

John

Gustl
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Feb 23 2009, 09:59 PM) *

I would like to nominate this car owned by member HaraldD. I have no info on the car other than the picture. More info would be great!

I second this one

it's the ex-car of Gerd Quist, race driver from the Max Moritz Racing Team
condagreen, LSD, 7x15 R-rims, 27mm spacers, ~ 185 PS

it was stored away for about 30 years and got a soft-restoration somewhen in 2005/06 (or so)

absolutely cool car !!!

RJMII
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 22 2009, 09:11 PM) *

I nominate Dave Parson's 914. He goes by OttoX914 here I believe. Besides being a very tasty looking car, Dave is hiding a little known and often decried as impossible secret. He has a TURBO 914! Check out the tasty install... You have to sneak a peak under the driver side to see the hair dryer... The intercooler is the only visible sign when you peak through the engine lid... If you check the results in the Minnesota Autosports Club site you will see that Dave takes full advantage of the 914's natural dancing ability... Boy must have some talent too because they field 100+ at every event up there in summer... Can I get a witness? Second please!

Hey Dave! Do you have any other pics of that thing?

+1

(I second that one)
dlestep
QUOTE(dw914er @ Feb 23 2009, 02:11 AM) *

I nominate John Bovey's beautiful 74 914-6 smile.gif. Now, I need to find a picture, but I def think that car is sure purtie.

he goes by Phoenix 914-6GT

....I like to second that.....
PeeGreen 914
So we have two green, one orange, one yellow and a blue car this month aktion035.gif . Very cool and another good tight race I am sure beerchug.gif . All of these cars are killer (I should be a little biased poke.gif but I must admit a little envy over some of these other cars drooley.gif ).
PeeGreen 914
I may need to go take a few more pictures of Jeff's car if it is in picture shape and he let's me. That car is simply killer.
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 23 2009, 03:22 PM) *

IPB Image

sixnotfour

Ex-Jon Lowe GT build.

Is this the same car?

T.C.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
delete
sixnotfour

Eric thanks for nomination , like Jon said he needs to take some pictures for me.
Not ready for prime time .

Is this the same car?

Yes it is. It was all together once. Wife and Son even took it for a rip around.
carr914
Had always wondered who got that car when Jon Lowe jumped out of his 914s. I knew Michel in Canada had gotten his other project (I was trying to get that one).

I'm glad that you have it and look forward to seeing more of it.

T.C.
So.Cal.914

[quote name='Eric_Shea' post='1137339' date='Feb 23 2009, 03:22 PM']
IPB Image

sixnotfour

Ex-Jon Lowe GT build.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like the color, very unusual.
MoveQik
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Feb 23 2009, 01:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Wow....I second, third....whatever. biggrin.gif
ottox914
[/quote]
I love the attention to detail on your car Dave... Is that a HotLap? Where did you get the gauge pod that fits in the ashtray opening of the dash? I have to get me one of those quick release steering wheels... Thanks Jon for the second...
[/quote]

That bit you are thinking is a hot lap is a wideband O2 meter, from an outfit in Canada, Western Motorsports, and it is designed to easily integrate with the SDS computer that runs it all. It really was plug and play, just connect a couple wires and its done. Now the WMS gauge shows the AFR in real time, and the WMS is connected to the SDS so during the parameters I set on the SDS, the car runs off the wideband O2 sensor and maintains 14.7:1 for light throttle driving, to keep the mpg's up.

The gauge pod is your generic 2 hole'r, with a slight bit of trimming to fit. I then put a plastic dash pad over the top of it all, so the gauges look more "built in" and finished. A side benefit of this is that in my 1973, just below that, is the fasten seat belt light, which has a key switched, light switched power that can be used to power the back lights in the gauges, so they dim with the rest of the dash lights. And not alot of fancy wiring to achieve this result- all the wires you need are right there.

I really like the QR wheel. With the deep bolsters of the seat, and my crunchy old joints, makes getting in/out much easier, particularly with the top on. The cool thing about the QR is that with the pegs, it has virtually NO slop at all, and its a locking wheel, so if I run to the DQ or something, and don't want to take it off, it won't grow legs and end up in some one elses car. Plus, by putting the wheel key on the same ring as the ignition, you have to turn the car off to remove the wheel, less chance of something bad happneing with the wheel off and car running.

Thanks for the nomination and 2nd.

Dave
number6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 23 2009, 04:20 AM) *

I nominate Duc's (number6) 3.2 car. I know he bought a whole nuther car to upgrade this one.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Thanks, T.C., but my car is totally undeserving compared to all the other cool 914s here. Mine's just a clean, well-sorted DD - nothing compared to OttoX914's sweet turbo setup, for example.

I second OttoX914's nomination!

-duc
number6
I would also like to nominate carreraguy's super-clean Subie conversion. Beautifully done! And I bet wicked fast!

-duc
McMark
We have our five nominees for this month. I'll start a poll to select the winner...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.