Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this even possible ? 914 with a Lycomeing aircraft engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sam quartermain
I came across this website and though it would be super cool

to put one of these plane engines in a 914 .

I was a huge subaru engine fan. But radiator in the front trunk.

I 'm not trying to chop up the front truck.

Still looking for a 914 to buy and start tinkering with.

just though I could get some feed back on how complex it would be to use these

: lycomeing:

engine's , they even have a flat , 8 !!!!!!!!!

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/engines/se...es-engines.html

SirAndy
I could be wrong, but i don't think aircraft engines have the torque and rpm characteristics you're looking for in a car ...
shades.gif Andy
Zundfolge
I seem to remember reading about guys putting aircraft engines (like these and Piper engines) in VWs (specifically VW based sand rails).

I believe there were a ton of issues to be overcome, like mating the motors to an automotive transmission (no clutch surface on the flywheel) and the need to cut a custom cam as aircraft motors develop power/torque much differently.

IIRC the general consensus was that you could develop a lot more power for a lot less money by starting with an engine already designed for a car.
Dr Evil
Not right for a car. You would do better with a corvair engine if you wanted aircraft tested, flat 6, and air cooled.
6freak
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 23 2009, 01:27 PM) *

Either you have 2 much money or smoke 2 much dope screwy.gif ...JPF
dkjens
For the price of one of those, you could build (or have built) a sweet Porsche flat 6 engine. Also, these engines redline at around 3,600 rpm and run on 100LL.
FourBlades

Yeah, what they said, plus the frickin prop would keep hitting the ground...

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

sixnotfour
Tucker did it.
Cap'n Krusty
If you're gonna go with an aircraft engine, might as well settle for a Merlin or an Allison. It's been done, so there's information out there ................ The Cap'n
Zundfolge
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 23 2009, 03:41 PM) *

If you're gonna go with an aircraft engine, might as well settle for a Merlin or an

Better yet, if you MUST go with an aircraft engine, go with one of these.

happy11.gif
SLITS
Somebody sell this guy a daily driver .... I'm even tempted to offer up El Weisze Bandito to stop the insanity.
dlo914
Hey sam, are you still looking for a roller to start an engine swap? there's one out in lake elsinore for $500, it's a 73' w/ 1.7 and sideshift tranny.
Krieger
Aircraft engines are designed mostly for a continuous rpm setting and the redlines are fairly low like stated above.
Bruce Hinds
Most aircraft engines are designed stictly for torque and a constant speed like stated above. Max RPM is usually 25-2700RPM.
anderssj
IIRC, back in the mid-1980s Pano ran an article about Porsche-derived aircraft engines. The article included a summary of modifications made to the 911 engine for use in a then-contemporary aircraft (sorry, not sure of aircraft type--Mooney maybe?).

But like the others said, you could do better for the money--guy at work is building a Lycoming-powered RV-7A . . . he said the engine will be like 36K+ blink.gif
ClayPerrine
Aircraft engines are designed to generate high torque at low speeds to be able to swing a propeller. They are "over square" meaning the bore is bigger than the stroke. They also are the fruit of 1930s technology. Sure, they have updated the metallurgy since then, but aircraft engines are EXTREMELY hard to get certified, and very expensive to do so. So the manufactures do not design new engines, they just upgrade one or 2 parts on the old design.

So what you end up with is an engine with a generator, an updraft carbuertor or a fuel injection system that is a derivative of the Hillborn injection system used on 50s dragsters, huge starters to spin the high compression engines, and magnetos that don't have ANY mechanical advance. You also get cranks that only have 5 main bearings for 8 cylinders, and an air cooled motor with NO FAN to keep it cool (you can't put the prop on, it would hit the ground).

And if you managed to get it into a 914, then you would have to hire a flight attendant to book rides in your car! biggrin.gif
plymouth37
Well if this guy could do it...
IPB Image
70Sixter
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2009, 05:20 PM) *

Tucker did it.

Yeah, and look how well that turned out! smile.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Feb 25 2009, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 23 2009, 05:20 PM) *

Tucker did it.

Yeah, and look how well that turned out! smile.gif

av-943.gif
mel reckling
QUOTE(anderssj @ Feb 24 2009, 12:04 PM) *

IIRC, back in the mid-1980s Pano ran an article about Porsche-derived aircraft engines. The article included a summary of modifications made to the 911 engine for use in a then-contemporary aircraft (sorry, not sure of aircraft type--Mooney maybe?).

But like the others said, you could do better for the money--guy at work is building a Lycoming-powered RV-7A . . . he said the engine will be like 36K+ blink.gif

I'm sitting here reading the article right now. It was in the January 1986 Panorama(finally, a reason for not throwing out all my old car mags).

Apparently Porsche's involvement in airplane engines goes way back to 1908. Ferdinand Porsche was, according to the article, the technical director for Austro-Daimler and continued through the birthing of Porsche in the early 30s.

Many Porsche engines powered multiple aircraft designs including the 'Flying Wing'.

On a side note, I'd give my left nut for a Tucker right now.

dkjens
I believe Porsche dropped the idea of powering aircraft with their flat sixes due to liability concerns as well as other factors.
yokesman
QUOTE(sam quartermain @ Feb 23 2009, 01:27 PM) *

yokesman
in regards to losing the front trunk for a suby look at jak rizo's super beetle install at aussieveedubbers.com he has an update there.
he only used the spare tire area., races in the porsche club circuit tracks , drags the oil pan on the street and uses it for a work car getting 39 mpg ave, the porsche club president said it compared with and 930 turbo for performance.
setup to break the cheapist of parts if need be. not a super hp setup just well setup, about 200 hp to the wheels.
the rest you can find there.
was thinking of this conversion until I saw the 914, again.

Richard
Katmanken
Porsche got outa the 911-6 aircraft engine business when the blimp went down in North Carolina....

EMI and RFI from a radio tower killed the brainbox and down she went.

Ken
SLITS
QUOTE(kwales @ Feb 25 2009, 05:04 PM) *

Porsche got outa the 911-6 aircraft engine business when the blimp went down in North Carolina....

EMI and RFI from a radio tower killed the brainbox and down she went.

Ken

Now that's FUNNY av-943.gif
race914
Just think...

At the same time this thread is going on, chances are good that someone in a parallel universe is wanting to put a 914 engine in their airplane... blink.gif

IPB Image

SLITS
Hmmmmm .... a Stromturd sidedraft carbutooter. Now that would make me nervous.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.