Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to get rebuilt 914-4 1.8L engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thefather99
After spending a lot of time cleaning and taking apart my 1974, 914 engine. It came time to split the case. The camshaft and bearings definitely need replacing, not to mention some other components....Sad day

I made the hard decision to look around for a rebuilt engine. I haven't found very many good websites that look reputable.

Are there any recommendations as to where I can go for a new motor online?

I'm running duel carbs and am going to purchase some webers once I get the engine.

Thanks for your help!
type47
High Performance House? search for Rich Bontempi and HPH. i have no first hand knowledge as I'm an East Coaster but I've read about them here.
aircooledtechguy
I would recommend rebuilding it yourself, that way you know the builder cares about what he's doing. Places like the type4store.com can assist with parts or even an engine kit that is a literal bolt-together. I would up the size to 2.0L while you're at it.

If you must buy a rebuild, stay away from GEX International or any retailer who peddles their junk.
sean_v8_914
FAT performance in LA , Mark De Bernardi in Napa, Sean Molloy in san diego
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 24 2009, 09:03 AM) *

Dare I add myself to the list? 36 years of experience building 914 motors should count for something .............. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 24 2009, 09:53 AM) *

Dare I add myself to the list? 36 years of experience building 914 motors should count for something .............. The Cap'n

thumb3d.gif
johnnie5

Mark De Bernardi in Napa

thumb3d.gif
tradisrad
If you are in the Bay Area you can look up Ken Jansen of Jansen Enterprises. http://jansenenterprise.com/about_us
He will be less expensive than HPH.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Feb 24 2009, 11:45 AM) *

If you are in the Bay Area you can look up Ken Jansen of Jansen Enterprises. http://jansenenterprise.com/about_us
He will be less expensive than HPH.

He spelled Volkswagen wrong on his web page ... huh.gif
thefather99
Thanks everyone. Just worried that the quality of my rebuild would not be up to par with some experienced people. If rebuilding it myself is significantly cheaper, I will do it though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.