Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to test my gas/oil temp gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I have a nice oil/gas combo gauge that I want to put in my car. I'm doing an engine swap right now (1.8 out, 2.0 in). I want to test the gauges before I install it. I plan to dunk the oil temp sender in boiling water.

I have the oil temp sender off the 2.0 motor. The gauge has 3 connections marked with a ground symbol, "+" and a "G". This is how I think I can do it. WIll this work?

12v pos to "+" on the gauge
12v neg to ground on the sender and to the gauge
sender to "G" on the gauge

As for the gas gauge, I have an extra fuel tank sender. Not sure how to do this one. The sender has 4 connections (ground, "W", "G", unmarked).

G on the sender to G on the gauge
12 neg to ground on the sender and gauge
12v pos to "+" on the gauge

Not sure what to do with the "W" and unmarked connectors on the sender.
904svo
On the gas sending unit there is 3 wires, Brown= Ground, Green =gas gauge,
Black = Low fuel light.

On the Oil sending unit if the gauge was from a 911 you will have to change the sending unit to work correctly, do the boiling water test to confirm this.
Cevan
The gauge and sender came out of a 914. The gauge part number is 914 641 101 50.
ejm
Screwing around with gauges on your birthday?

You're getting old! biggrin.gif

The unmarked pin on the sender is a "key"... it only aligns the connector properly
zeezee
W = warning light
Cevan
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 23 2009, 10:40 PM) *

Screwing around with gauges on your birthday?

You're getting old! biggrin.gif

The unmarked pin on the sender is a "key"... it only aligns the connector properly

Don't remind me! biggrin.gif

Do I have it right? I don't want to put 12 volts to the gauge and see smoke eminating from within.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.