Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help me identify this 914 colour
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
I have had this car for about 6 months and I want to do a bit of repair work in the trunk...

I bought it as a 'Crystal Blue' So I had a can of Crystal Blue made up - NO that was wrong sad.gif It actually has L51p on the door shut, but it had a respray about six years ago, so I then obviously thought it was 'Olympic Blue' So I had a can of that made up and NO, thats not it either... too bright

So I'm left with Lagoon blue.. L51c... Now does anyone have a Laguna Blue 914 (I could only find one!!) The colour goes a little green in sodium light, so I thought the "Lagoon" sort of fits laugh.gif

Some pics -

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The panel inside the boot is sprayed Olympic blue and you can see it's brighter.. a more baby blue colour..

IPB Image

I really appreciate your help smile.gif
Gustl
to me it looks like L51P - olympic blue (V9J8)
this color was used on MY'73+74 cars

the other color is L50C - laguna blue (MY'75+76; V9J1), but it doesn't match your photo

it might be a respray from a sample - that doesn't match the factory paint

impossible to say by a couple of photos

bye1.gif Gustl
Rod
Thankyou Gustl,

I don't think it's Olympic, the panel on the boot floor is Olympic an it's too pale/bright.

This is Lagoon from the P914 site and I think it's closer.

IPB Image

This is mine in the garage..

IPB Image

God I hope it's not a custom colour - I really don't want to re-do the whole car sad.gif
914rrr
Here is a couple of pics of Rob's Olympic Blue 914. Also I attached a link to the 914 color chart.

http://www.p914.com/p914_paint-4-1973.htm

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

bbrown

[

Nice auto. Tell us about the cables and the tray. I see an exhaust. So are you switching to electric?
carr914
Here was my Olympic Blue '73

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
My Olympic looked a little different color in every picture

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 24 2009, 06:13 AM) *

Thankyou Gustl,

I don't think it's Olympic, the panel on the boot floor is Olympic an it's too pale/bright.

I think Gustl's point is that the respray it had done 6 years ago may not have been a good match to the factory color (possibly Olympic Blue). Now I haven't had my coffee yet, but do I understand correctly that the car has had a color change at some point? Because otherwise you can just get the paint code off the Karmann badge, right?
Rod
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Feb 24 2009, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 24 2009, 06:13 AM) *

Thankyou Gustl,

I think Gustl's point is that the respray it had done 6 years ago may not have been a good match to the factory color (possibly Olympic Blue). Now I haven't had my coffee yet, but do I understand correctly that the car has had a color change at some point? Because otherwise you can just get the paint code off the Karmann badge, right?

The plate on the car is L51p Olympic blue, but I bought the car as Crystal blue. It needed repair, so I bought some Crystal blue and it didn't match, I then looked at the karman badge and it says L51p so I then bought a can of Olympic blue, which is also wrong - too bright. (The board painted in the rear trunk is Olympic blue and you can see it's not the same.)

So I'm a bit stumped unless someone has some good images of Lagoon blue and we'll compare that..
tod914
Have an autopaint supply shop or auotbody shop match the paint with a spectrometer. Then you'll be extremely close if not dead on with the color match. Do a test panel to be sure smile.gif. The autopaint supply place can put it in aerosols if that's what you want.
Beatiful car btw. One of my favorite colors. Did you aquire the car stateside? Pull up the front carpet and see if the color is the same as the exterior.
Rod
QUOTE(bbrown @ Feb 24 2009, 03:32 PM) *

[

Nice auto. Tell us about the cables and the tray. I see an exhaust. So are you switching to electric?

The cables aren't for an electric conversion, no. they are to power this beast..

IPB Image
(That unfinished panel is being covered in interior matching vinyl.)
VoPo914
Here is my '75 Lagoon Blue L50C, if it helps.Click to view attachment
tod914
That's a pretty intense sound system Rod. I didn't realize Mac got into car audio as well. Is it all solid state or hybrid like their home audio?
Rod
Seeing your Laguna VoPo I'm certain it is that.. I have just received an Email from the previous owner and he thinks 100% it is crystal blue though - I am so confused laugh.gif

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 24 2009, 07:28 PM) *

That's a pretty intense sound system Rod. I didn't realize Mac got into car audio as well. Is it all solid state or hybrid like their home audio?

No valves in this Tod, all FETs.. McIntosh made some great car audio, my headunit is Mc' too driving-girl.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 24 2009, 11:20 AM) *

Have an autopaint supply shop or auotbody shop match the paint with a spectrometer.

agree.gif
Rod
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2009, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 24 2009, 11:20 AM) *

Have an autopaint supply shop or auotbody shop match the paint with a spectrometer.

agree.gif

I agree too, I will get this done if necessary.. now does anyone have a picture of a Crystal Blue 914?? I can find 911, but not a single 914..
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 24 2009, 12:34 PM) *

now does anyone have a picture of a Crystal Blue 914?? I can find 911, but not a single 914..

That's because "Crystal Blue" was not a factory 914 color ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

shades.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2009, 09:58 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

you can get anything you want, at ...

... Porsche, in the early days

av-943.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 24 2009, 02:07 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Well, yes, of course.

However, Crystal Blue was a "Special Order" color for the 911 in those early days, so the chances of someone ordering a 914 with that color were ever smaller then for a standard 911 color ...

shades.gif Andy
PanelBilly
Maybe someone just didn't stir the paint enough (that's an inside joke on me)
carr914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 24 2009, 05:07 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

av-943.gif Gustl

I agree, I had an Olympic Blue 1975 914. Here it is on the way to the boneyard. Sorry Andy, I have no record of the Vin#

T.C.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.