Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sway bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrthomasec
I just picked up a stock front sway bar....
My 914 is a 73 without the holes for the install

anyone have dimensions on where to put the hole in the fender well?
or any advice?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jrthomasec @ Feb 24 2009, 05:16 PM) *

I just picked up a stock front sway bar....
My 914 is a 73 without the holes for the install

anyone have dimensions on where to put the hole in the fender well?
or any advice?

The holes are not as difficult to locate as having to weld mount tabs for the drop links. Do you have those on your A arms? I hate to say this but do a search here and on Pelican and you should find a template that you can download and print...

By the way, congratulations. I have no idea why VW didn't put sway bars in every single 914. They are almost undriveable without them!
SLITS
whole drilly thingy tampxlate

clicky ona abovey
jrthomasec
Thanks,
The pelican teck page is perfect.......
Will post pics when done...

and yes, my a-arms have the brackets, but no sway bar in the car..................
johnnie5
Performance Porsche has Weltmeister parts for your sway bar. Adjustable drop links, tabs for a arms, mounting brackets, etc. Just a heads up...

Oh, and welcome.png
budman5201
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Feb 24 2009, 08:11 PM) *

Performance Porsche has Weltmeister parts for your sway bar. Adjustable drop links, tabs for a arms, mounting brackets, etc. Just a heads up...

Oh, and welcome.png

while we are talking about sway bars.....what are the characteristics of the different drop link adjustments on the front sway bar. I have 4 holes i think where i can locate the drop link. its on the 2nd hole from the sway bar itself. Is that too close? What will it do if i move it to the closest or the furthest from the sway bar?

thanks in advance
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 24 2009, 06:21 PM) *

confused24.gif Why do you want him to click on me? huh.gif laugh.gif
cwpeden
Moving the link to the furthest hole will 'soften' the sway bar.

Imagine it as leverage, the furhter away the easier it is to 'twist' the bar.

There is more to it but those are the basics. The set up of a sway bar has to do with how much you weigh, your torsion bar stiffness and other factors. But you can find that out in the Paddock.
jrthomasec
just a heads up to anyone interested.......

Im in Irvine, and I have been around a mill and lathe since I was a kid...
I can do a lot of custom fab work from sheet metal, welding, and machining parts .....

any side jobs I can do keep my 914 alive,

if anyone is looking for someone to do this kind of work......I offer my services

I am thinking about making my own mouting brackets and adjustable drop links
maf914
You may find Engman's products interesting, such as the sway bar reinforcing brackets. Since you are a fabricator you should be able to do a nice installation. Good luck.

http://engmanparts.com/chassis.php
JoeSharp
welcome.png

What color is that car thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Come to The West Cost Ramble. It's in you back yard.
VOX
irvines not too far, might have to take you up on that offer, i'm trying to put together my 914 right now and might need some help welding the engine mount.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.