Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flywheel felt washer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
astronomerdave
Yesterday I re-installed my flywheel and clutch. I've not installed the motor to the tranny yet. It just occurred to me that I didn't re-install this little felt washer which I think goes on one side of the flywheel pilot bearing behind the crush washer. The silly thing is I even had a new felt washer sitting right there and neglected it. Under advisement of a trusted source, I installed the flywheel bolts with red loctite. So, in order to install this little felt washer now would be a big ordeal -- I'd have to heat / break the loctite bond and order yet another new crush washer.

The question is, is installation of this felt washer worth the trouble required to install it at this stage?

Thanks for your advice,

Dave
Demick
You might want to rethink paying attention to your 'trusted' source. I'm not sure why loctite red would be needed for the flywheel bolts. If everything is in order - that should not be necessary and will only serve to cause problems when you want to remove them.

As to the felt washer, it serves to keep the clutch disc dust out of the pilot bearing. Without it, the pilot bearing grease will get contaminated much faster. How fast? I don't know.
Cap'n Krusty
Red Loctite? Why? The felt keeps dust out of the pilot bearing, and it keeps the grease in. That's NOT a "crush" washer, it's just a plate which allows the ribs on the bolts to grip so they don't back out or tear up the flywheel. Put the washer in, reuse the plate.

The Cap'n
astronomerdave
OK, thanks. I called it a crush washer because that's how it's listed at Pelican (021-105-275-M17) but if I can re-use it, then great; one less thing to order and wait for (especially since a $1.50 part will cost me $8 to ship). Should I turn it over or just re-use it?

So, just to be sure, the felt washer goes right behind this plate (aka crush washer), in front of the bearing on the tranny side of the flywheel? I just saw a diagram at Pelican which seems to locate the felt washer on the BACK side of the flywheel, which doesn't make sense. I understand its location on the transmission side.

--Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.