Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a 914 daily driver?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mein_tag
I'm wondering who uses there teener as a daily driver. Are they stock, or conversion? driving.gif
Bruce Hinds
I built a v8 teener and drove it daily and as an airport commuter for 20 years until I blew the ring and pinion showing off. It's been back on the road, but the airplane and boat seem to take all my time and the poor little car needs some attention.

B
dw914er
1.7 bored to a 2.0... but other than that it is stock...

good dd, though now I drive my Acura
'73-914kid
Once my car is done, it will be a daily driver. This will mostly be for trips to and from school, but maybe more....so, 30 minutes a day.

it's a stock 2.0l running 8.1:1 compression for cheap gas, and no creature comforts...like a 16 yr old needs a heater or radio right?

As long as I can keep it running, I'll be good, as it should definetly be the coolest car around the school. It's all about the money you're willing to put in though, as a daily driver takes more money than a weekend car, but you know that I'm sure.
mein_tag
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 24 2009, 11:08 PM) *

Once my car is done, it will be a daily driver. This will mostly be for trips to and from school, but maybe more....so, 30 minutes a day.

it's a stock 2.0l running 8.1:1 compression for cheap gas, and no creature comforts...like a 16 yr old needs a heater or radio right?

As long as I can keep it running, I'll be good, as it should definetly be the coolest car around the school. It's all about the money you're willing to put in though, as a daily driver takes more money than a weekend car, but you know that I'm sure.

yeah i know that feeling. I've had my 944 since i was 15, and now i'm in the middle of head gasket... dry.gif but hey it's almost done or atleast that's what i tell my self. unsure.gif
Chevota79
Completely stock 72 with a 1.7 and I put ~300 miles a week on it.
dw914er
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 24 2009, 10:08 PM) *

make sure it runs well, and the interior and paint looks good. If it is set, then you'll be good to go. If not, it will be the POS vw. Trust me, until I finished the refurbish on mine, people would come over and see my car and be like WTF.gif

but now, its aktion035.gif driving.gif drooley.gif (oh, and some people will think you're rich...16 year old and a old car/porsche)
eg914
I have a 74 that has a 1.7 in it. Stock engine (I think) with a new pair of empi 40mm hpmx carbs. This is my daily driver (40 miles each day) for the last 5 years. It has been off the road for a total of 5 or 6 weeks during that time. That includes right now, as I am waiting for a new flywheel to finish installing a new clutch and "while I'm in there". I can not wait to get it running again.

It is the most fun I have ever had driving to work.
oldschool
QUOTE(eg914 @ Feb 24 2009, 10:25 PM) *

I have a 74 that has a 1.7 in it. Stock engine (I think) with a new pair of empi 40mm hpmx carbs. This is my daily driver (40 miles each day) for the last 5 years. It has been off the road for a total of 5 or 6 weeks during that time. That includes right now, as I am waiting for a new flywheel to finish installing a new clutch and "while I'm in there". I can not wait to get it running again.

It is the most fun I have ever had driving to work.

Love to drive my Porsche every day driving.gif
RoadGlue
I drive both my 914s as daily drivers. Only left me stranded once, and that was a bonehead mistake that I should have caught. I'm a mechanical GENIUS (not really), but I do think that you need to be mechanically minded to have a 914 as your everyday car. The car talks to you, lets you know what it needs and if you know its language, then you can fix problems before they become major issues.

I had a friend that twice tried 914s as his daily driver. First time the car got rear ended and totaled. He tried again a few years later by purchasing a very nice '72 914. That lasted three or four months and then he sold the teener and bought another Honda. It's not like he was trying to nurse a lemon down the road. He just liked the bells and whistles new cars offer. To each their own.

Why do you ask? smile.gif
roadster fan
71' 1,7 i have been using as a dailly driver for 8 months(62 miles round trip). Looks like crap, drives nice, park it anywhere and dont worry about it.

Not sure I will do the same when the 73' six conversion is done, but it is fun to drive a 914 everday.

Roadglue has it right. pay attention to your ride, and do the regular maintenance. When it starts making a new noise, pay attention. There are others out there driving them everyday, but you need to know how to work on 'em. My neighbors think I'm crazy! Just the way I like it biggrin.gif

Jim
Gint
Stock 2.0 914 makes a great dd if you have the weather for it. You do in the fall/winter/spring, but in Pahonix you're going to want AC.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dw914er @ Feb 24 2009, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 24 2009, 10:08 PM) *

make sure it runs well, and the interior and paint looks good. If it is set, then you'll be good to go. If not, it will be the POS vw. Trust me, until I finished the refurbish on mine, people would come over and see my car and be like WTF.gif

but now, its aktion035.gif driving.gif drooley.gif (oh, and some people will think you're rich...16 year old and a old car/porsche)

72 not stock, I have used it as a DD, on and off, for 27 years. Three engines, two transmission's and a whole lot of fun.

There are different degrees of Rich, 16 years old and driving a mid-engined Porsche.

Thats Rich to me. smile.gif
'73-914kid
Hey, I'm not rich at all guys....I just have good taste! bought it for almost nothing, rebuilding everything, and am learning tons. I'd have a 911 if I was rich!

Think what you will...a DD 914 was actually my fall back car... screwy.gif
mein_tag
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 25 2009, 01:18 AM) *

I found a very nice 1.8l totally stock. Anyways I'm constiplating on buying it for me mum. She's a teacher so the summer months it won't be drivin very far.
It would make a good birthday3.gif ??
ericread
I've used my 914 as my DD for the past three years. About 30 miles to work each way, and weekend excursions. I average bout 15,000 miles per year in her.

It's a 1974, 2.0L, mostly stock. I have completed a few upgrades; Pertronix ignition; CHT installed; some front suspension upgrades; nothing really major. I've work on her about one weekend a month, just to keep her in tip top shape. I'll put the Fuchs repros on her sometime next week.

jd74914
In 20 and my 914 is my daily driver. Its a ton of fun to cruise to work and school in. During the summer I drive about 300 miles a week, and over the winter about 100. Its a bit cold in the winter, but nothing an extra sweatshirt (or 2 or 3) or jacket won't fix.

Its an almost stock 1.8L with L-jet. Save for some odd failures, its been very reliable, and I've only been stranded once in the past 9 months. That once was a freak occurance; the nub that rides the distributer cam on points actually broke off. It had to have been a manufacturing defect. Other than that its been dead reliable.

We had a week or so where the temperature was around 0 F. The car started fine, well, it turned over sluggishly, but started. It just takes a little time to warm up.

All in all 914s aren't bad daily drivers. If you have some mechanical skills (or want to learn really fast) go for it. smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mein_tag @ Feb 25 2009, 06:32 AM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 25 2009, 01:18 AM) *

I found a very nice 1.8l totally stock. Anyways I'm constipating on buying it for me mum. She's a teacher so the summer months it won't be drivin very far.
It would make a good birthday3.gif ??

While you're constipating on that, you should increase your fluid and fiber intake and try not to strain... lol-2.gif
mein_tag
ahh i forgot the L... schiesse

It was late dry.gif
dw914er
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 25 2009, 06:23 AM) *

Hey, I'm not rich at all guys....I just have good taste! bought it for almost nothing, rebuilding everything, and am learning tons. I'd have a 911 if I was rich!

Think what you will...a DD 914 was actually my fall back car... screwy.gif

I feel ya, but high school girls don't know that. Just hey, he drives an clean old Porsche!
markb
Daily driver? Yup, pretty much. Over 8 years now in one or the other of them. Even in the rain. smile.gif
veltror
I drove mine in all weathers everyday for 11 years. First in the US and then when I moved back to the Uk. In snow rain salt anything. I did at least 100 miles in it every day. I drove it all over Europe on holidays, all round Germany over the Alps to Austria etc. never let me down, a srock 2.0 with injection. As a little rust formed I took it off the road in 2001 and that little rust became a big job, see my thread, Soon it will be back, maybe not a s a DD but as a holiday car.

R driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Joe Owensby
I drive mine about 16 miles round trip per work day. Almost completely rebuilt '73. Raby kit engine, SDS EFI system. So far, so good after about 1 year back on the road. JoeO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.