Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: powder and ceramic coating $
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, I called a local shop that does both powder and ceramic coating.

to make my 4 bolt fuchs satin black (powder) he said ~$50 a wheel.

to ceramic coat my eruo-race (including the muffler) black would be ~$250.

Does this sound to be about right? I would not be doing this until May, as the shop is slammed right now, and can only offer 1 month turn around. In may he said he will be able to do it in a week or less.

Zach
ConeDodger
It might be a little high on the wheels but I can almost hear his argument. Did he tell you he has to heat the wheels longer due to their mass? That might be true if he were powdercoating barbells but the aluminum will heat quicker and give it up quicker. Counter offer him $30 per wheel and tell him your wife just had a baby... I have lots of stuff powder coated on my car. Much of it aluminum and I have never had my guy complain or upcharge me...
aircooledtechguy
The price for the aluminum wheels seem pretty good to me. If you have steel rims, just take them to Les Schwab and have them done through them for about $25 per wheel.

Aluminum is an entirely different animal to powder coat and costs significantly more to do because of this. Its porous so it out-gasses when heated and unless you do it correctly, powder coat will bubble and ruin the finish. I did a set of Vanagon wheels myself once and had to redo a couple of them until I figured out how to do it without it bubbling. What a PITA to remove the bubbled PC. . .
jim_hoyland
I just had my HE, Muffler, and associated tin/tubes ceramic coated; price sounds right.

Be carefull though, the ceramic coating easily scratches. Handle with care before and during installation.
dbu356
Zach.....Have you considered doing it yourself with a Moly Resin? I don't have any personal experience with the stuff but I'm sure someone on the other (non-914) board has used it. Its's expensive ($55 a quart) but that is enough to do 9 - 12 AR-15's. (or so says the manufacturer). http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/default.asp

Jeffs9146
My 6 H/E cost me $400 for Ceramic Coating.
scotty b
Yes prices are quite fair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.