Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frame wall thickness?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wardsweb
I need to repair a section of frame. Can someone tell me what the material thickness is under the driver's door? The car is about a 45 minute drive away, so I don't want to take an hour and a half to just go mic the thing. Then I can sheer a plate and take it with me to do the repair.
charliew
I don't know for sure if all the pieces under the door are the same thickness. The overlay that was sold to me for the outside seems to be 18 ga. but I would use 16 ga if you don't need to form it a lot. Most of the pieces I have looked at seem to be 18 or 20 ga. Until someones says different it's 17 or 18 ga.
r_towle
Its actually mostly 19 gauge....some metric equivelant.

It depends on what area, right under the back of the door on the inside is double walled...
Right at the firewall area..double walled.

So bring extra...
Double 20 gauge is alot easier to form than 18 gauge...
I use both, it depends upon the area..

RIch
Richard Casto
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 26 2009, 11:29 PM) *

Its actually mostly 19 gauge....some metric equivelant.

It depends on what area, right under the back of the door on the inside is double walled...
Right at the firewall area..double walled.

So bring extra...
Double 20 gauge is alot easier to form than 18 gauge...
I use both, it depends upon the area..

RIch

agree.gif

Two different metric gauges that pretty closely match up to 18g and 20g. 18g for most of the car including structural areas (some places double walled) and 20g in some places.
Wardsweb
Thanks guys, I picked up some 18 gauge today. My buddy's shop has a hydraulic sheer and large metal break so forming what I need shouldn't be bad. I'm repairing the inside wall where the floorpan meets. It is pretty much straight and I only need a right angle bend in it. I'll take it 1" under and 2" up. I got the pan from Autoatlanta.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.