Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Switch removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
I know this is a 914 site...usually I'm asking questions about my 73 914. I recently purchased a (1969 912) to add to my garage along with my 914. My question is, does anyone know how to removal the electrical portion of the ignition switch...the back portion basicly came apart on me. Do I drill out the two rivets that are located on the dash holding the switch and remove the electrical portion from the rear (this car has a locking steering wheel). Thanks for your help...I don't have a good connection for 912's yet.

Dave
914Sixer
QUOTE(whitey @ Feb 26 2009, 01:07 PM) *

I know this is a 914 site...usually I'm asking questions about my 73 914. I recently purchased a (1969 912) to add to my garage along with my 914. My question is, does anyone know how to removal the electrical portion of the ignition switch...the back portion basicly came apart on me. Do I drill out the two rivets that are located on the dash holding the switch and remove the electrical portion from the rear (this car has a locking steering wheel). Thanks for your help...I don't have a good connection for 912's yet.

Dave

You can drill from the front or you might do it the easy way from the back. They should be break away bolts. Most of the posts have screw slots in them. Get a small screwdriver in from the back and see if you can undo them.

I have never seen a factory installation with rivets but what do I know.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes cut screw driver slots in them and remove. The switch is then easily removed from the back of the locking cylinder. Cheap replacements are as low cost as 39.50 and the break away bolts are cheap as well.

Good for you to have a 69 912. One of my favorite cars and of course the last year of the 912 (the good ones) and the only year of the long wheelbase so it handles better than all of the rest until they came up with the 78 and up sc model 911s
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 26 2009, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(whitey @ Feb 26 2009, 01:07 PM) *

Dave

You can drill from the front or you might do it the easy way from the back. They should be break away bolts. Most of the posts have screw slots in them. Get a small screwdriver in from the back and see if you can undo them.

I have never seen a factory installation with rivets but what do I know.

Mark,
I thought they all had rivits or some other kind of screw that was install only to prevent thieves from going to the dealership and buying a replacement they could just run around town installing and driving cars away with???
BMartin914
The electrical portion is attached to the mechanical portion of the switch via 2 posi-driv screws (#2). The Mechanical portion is attached to the dashboard with the "break-away" bolts. The screws are difficult to access from the underside and are difficult to see (read: doing this by feel) but they are possible to remove and I used to do it all the time.

I only remove the "break-away" bolts when replacing the mechanical portion of the switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.