Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rebuild hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Cleaned out the other side of the garage this weekend to make room for the donor 1974 2.0.

Right now I am planning on getting the following to prepare for removing the motor and starting the tear down.

Parts washer
Jack with > 17" lift (I have 2 that only go 13")
Furniture dolly (to move motor)

Anything else I might need there?
Also, is the parts washer really necessary? If so, do you use the non-combustable cleaning fluid or is some kind of solvent or fuel the best way to go?

Thanks,
dr
Qarl
Shop compressor

Bead blast cabinet

Any old Germans available that can provide assistance?
tat2dphreak
if you're going to bead blast, may as well get a powdercoater for the tin etc...
cha914
Or you could go the cheap route and get a case of brake cleaner (berrimans sp? is my fav brand) and us it to clean most of the parts...If you already have an air compressor put the air blower attachment on and spray that and the can of brake cleaner at the same time, that combo can usually blast most stuff clean.

That said, I would get a blast cabent if you really wanna get stuff spotless...

Good luck,

Tony
machina
QUOTE(cha914 @ Feb 23 2004, 03:45 PM)
If you already have an air compressor put the air blower attachment on and spray that and the can of brake cleaner at the same time, that combo can usually blast most stuff clean.

Have compressor, so do you spray the cleaner while you are blasting the air or is there some kind of air tool for this?

dr
cha914
Yeah, just blast them in tandem, no special tool...the air helps to blow off the stuff that the brake cleaner loosens up. For really grungy stuff I blast the brake cleaner, let sit, then blast again with the air on it also.

Oh and be sure to be doing this in a well ventilated area with no sparks/flame around...that stuff is toxic and highly combustable smash.gif

HTH,

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.