Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Honored but apprehensive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
I've been asked to add my '70/4 to the "Classics" display at my nearby PORSCHE dealer. I have 100% confidence in the professional manner in which this dealership operates. I have no reservations that the dealer will give my 914 the same care and attention that it gives to the 911s, Turbos and GT2s in its trust.

The walk-in customer is the one I'm worried about. Having worked for 30 years at a dealer that sold VWs, Alfas, Mazdas and Hondas, I've seen first hand the disregard the public can show to someone else's car.

Fingerprints and greasy, oily hands are not the issue here. I've seen children jumping on seats, pulling, prying, twisting, and turning every moveable object that they can reach in the interior, and rolling their toys over hood and trunk surfaces without parental oversight or discipline.

Adults are only slightly better. Missing owners' manuals, gas caps, oil fill caps, lighters, are occasionally found missing. Add to this the sometimes ham-fisted operation of hood and trunk releases, the heavy handed opening and closing of doors, and aforementioned hoods and trunks, the banging of side surfaces with 10 lb handbags and backpacks, and the scratches left on surfaces from errant buckles, rings, purses and fingernails all would give one pause to consider the wisdom of putting their car on public display for a month. Did I mention the spilled lattes and smoothies on seats and carpets?

As I write this, my apprehension grows, but the thought of furthering the 914s recognition and the appreciation this remarkable car so deservingly merits cause me to consider putting my car on display. Finally, and by no means the least of reasons, the recognition given to MY 914 would be a rewarding affirmation of not only the 914s intrinsic value, but of my own 34 year commitment to its conservancy.

confused24.gif To display or kindly refuse the offer?

It would go here..................

SirAndy
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 26 2009, 08:02 PM) *

the thought of furthering the 914s recognition and the appreciation this remarkable car so deservingly merits cause me to consider putting my car on display.

Don't kid yourself, nobody, and i mean NOBODY who walks into that showroom will even know that that shoebox with wheels is a Porsche. Or be interested in it's history.

But hey, it sure would look cool in there! biggrin.gif

Plus, have them draw up a contract that covers everything that could possibly happen to your car.
thumb3d.gif Andy
tod914
Congrads, make them put the car in one of those plastic bubbles or roped off. You put too much time and money into your car to risk something happening to it. Have them insure it and "lease" it for display for the time you agree upon. Nice honor, but unless there is some monetary benifit from doing it, don't.
championgt1
That's very cool. I do however understand your worry. I would be worried as well.
r_towle
The doors lock, right?

Rich
jsayre914
if your not going to drive it...

confused24.gif

better in the dealership. so we can enjoy it right?

drooley.gif congrats

nice car!!
dw914er
rope around it... make sure its kept safe..

but I'm sure it'd be a treat for people to see the history of porsche
sixnotfour
bury it in a cement vault and unearth it in 50 years.(buried plymouth) poke.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6fQZhua6d0

Put your 914 in the show room and be Proud. smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
Are they paying you? I wouldn't risk my 914 so they can get some free advertising looks. They're not interesting in hassling with someone elses property for the 'history' of it. They're looking for something that people will notice. Notice = advertising.

At least have them sell you a Cayman below cost. wink.gif
cvoros
"Don't kid yourself, nobody, and i mean NOBODY who walks into that showroom will even know that that shoebox with wheels is a Porsche. Or be interested in it's history."

I disagree with Andy on that. I think people would realize that a Porsche dealership would not put anything but in their showroom - especially a "Classic" display and it might raise some eyebrows and questions.

Although I do agree that you should have some sort of contract covering you and the car should Murphy enforce his law while its there.

Nice honor to be asked to put you car up for display, IMO. Do what you think is best for your sake though.
mel reckling
Having worked in showrooms for many years, I've always hated crowded ones and the flashback you gave me of kids jumping on seats made me shudder.

What's with the 'Village', it's not the Village of the Damned, is it?
carr914
Let's see; if they gave me a GT3 to drive for the month, kept the 914 locked and gave a written guarantee to fix any damage, I'd do it.

T.C.
blitZ
It sounds as if you are a bit apprehensive, as I would be. However, I think the typical customer at the Porsche dealership is a bit different than the crowd at the Chrysler dealership buying mom a new minivan. I would go for it as long as the dealer agrees to deal with possible damage and lets you borrow a demo Cayman for the month.
ericread
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Feb 27 2009, 03:25 AM) *

Having worked in showrooms for many years, I've always hated crowded ones...

Have you been in a car showroom lately??? There are no crowds! In fact, with the economy the way it is, there's a chance nobody will ever see the car in the showroom... sad.gif

6freak
Its just a car ..lock it up, rope it off, and show it proud....Ps talk to the guy that owns the one in the photo see what he says...anything damaged or broke and was the dealer good to him
aircooledtechguy
Have a look at their business insurance. Any insurance worth a dime on a business covers all cars within their building or control. Out in the parking lot you'd likely be on your own, in the showroom, you car should be fully covered for fire, theft or damage period when in their care . . . Take pictures right after you park it and inspect it before you remove it.
PanelBilly
I think its safer in there than in a parking lot at the mall
mel reckling
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 27 2009, 06:28 AM) *

QUOTE(mel reckling @ Feb 27 2009, 03:25 AM) *

Having worked in showrooms for many years, I've always hated crowded ones...

Have you been in a car showroom lately??? There are no crowds! In fact, with the economy the way it is, there's a chance nobody will ever see the car in the showroom... sad.gif

I guess I should've been clearer as to what I meant. Actually, the crowds I was referring to were cars, not people. Some dealers try to cram as many cars as they can into the showroom, some use them to 'display' their cars. I've seen scrapes and broken mirrors and the like from clean-up guys trying to shoehorn their way into areas way too close-quartered than they should be.

Spoke
If you are as worried as you sound, I would shy away from doing this. Unless the perks are worth it: insurance for any damaged items and loaner Porsche.

One time my buddy tried to get me to bring my 914 to a local Porsche car show get-together. Knowing how some of the "wine & cheese" crowd or "gold chain" clubbies think about 914's, I opted not to do it.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 28 2009, 05:32 AM) *

If you are as worried as you sound, I would shy away from doing this. Unless the perks are worth it: insurance for any damaged items and loaner Porsche.

One time my buddy tried to get me to bring my 914 to a local Porsche car show get-together. Knowing how some of the "wine & cheese" crowd or "gold chain" clubbies think about 914's, I opted not to do it.

I have done that and usually guys walk and say" I had one of those 914's, great car". Its only the Microsoft millionaires that are 25 yrs old with their 911 Turbo's that scoff at my 914....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.