Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder Head Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldino21
I am trying to figure out if the whole engine needs to be taken out to remove and replace the Cylinder heads on a 73 1.7.

The reason is that one of the studs for the exhaust have broken out and I need to remove the cylider heads to get this out!!

Second is it cheaper to just rebuild the heads once I have them out, or should I buy new ones, if I buy new ones what can I do to improve performance??

Lou
tat2dphreak
yes. I went through this last year... no good way to do it without dropping the engine... you can do the whole swap in about a day to 1 1/2 days though
Dave Bell
Well.... if you can figure out some way to get the broken stud out while the engine is still in, you can put a replacement stud in from underneath the car... I have done that.

Short of that, things are a lot easier with the engine out. With three people helping, we dropped and engine, put on a spare used head and had it all back together and running in one evening. It willl likely take longer by yourself... and then you get into Dirk Wright's disease... and you want to do all sorts of other things while you have the engine out.... start counting weeks and months until the car is back on the road.

You can probably find someone to give you a spare 1.7L head... they don't command a big price. Given that you could be back on the road very quickly and if you want newer heads, you can again find one more cheap or free 1.7L head, have that one plues the one you took worked on and put them in later.

- Dave
- Dave
Mark Henry
Pull the engine.

You can only get new (aftermarket) 1.8/2.0 bus heads, unless you find some NOS (new old stock) 1.7 heads. A good machine shop can fix the stud.

If your running stock d-jet FI you won't get a whole lot out of porting your heads.

Spend $ to get more performance, or stick it back in and run it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.