Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Typical cost for drilling rear rotors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrKona
I'm slowly inching my way to a full five lug conversion. I have a set of new four-lug pattern rear rotors. With the $100+/rotor for 914-6 rears, I am considering having my rear rotors drilled for five lug.

What's the going-rate, ballpark cost I should expect to drill to five lug pattern? I just want to have a reference point when I go to a local auto machine shop.

Thanks..

- Bryan
Cap'n Krusty
Most automotive machine shops aren't gonna have an indexing table on their mill, if they even have a mill. It's the REAL way to do it, any other way is just not gonna be precise enough.

The Cap'n
jmmotorsports
I paid $60.00 last time I had a pair done.

Jerry
SLITS
The Cap'n is correct. Find a local machine shop, one that does REAL machine work.

The cost is in the setup not the actual drilling.

I've seen $50 each.

I've also seen them done with a drill press and hand drill. Depends on how out of true you want the rotors to run.
underthetire
I was actually thinking about making a drill guide to do the conversion. It will center on the hub and bolt down to the 4 lug. Then have drill bushings to drill the 5 lug. We used to use this same setup back in the old days before CNC stuff was everywhere. Of coarse i'll build the guide fixture on the CNC!

PS. you would still need a drill press, but I think you could get the run-out to a couple thous.

Enough interest in renting it out to pay for the drill bushings etc. might be worth doing.
MrKona
Thank you Gentlemen. There is a local machine shop in Portland that does quite a bit of VW and Porsche work. I'll give them a call.
SLITS
As far as prices ... from Pelican ... the OE disk is $109.00.

If you purchase /4s at $50 - $60 each and then pay $50 to have one drilled, you are at the cost of the /6 rotor.

Using used rotors that are in spec and having them drilled would make economic sense but wouldn't qualify for a gov't bailout check. KMA.gif

Also, if the shop doing them takes the time to index them correctly, they can make the set screw holes line up correctly with the hubs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.