Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory repaints ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
So as I started getting into Mikes car I found a 3 rd color on it. Origianlly it was silver now it is blue. In between the two was a mint green. I thought little of it at first. Then I got into the trunk and more specifically the gas tank. This color I am most certain is a 911 color. I don't know the name or code but I have seen it before on late 70's 911's and 930's. Why I wonder if it a factory color change is that it was a VERY thorough job. The green goes down into the well under the tank and all the way under the dash, meaning the gas tank and all dash components ( air intake ) were at some point removed. This doesn't make sense to me to have been done in the last 15 years because the cars weren't that well known or cared for. Any thoughts ???
iamchappy
Is it possible that the silver was a metallic base coat and a transparent green sprayed over the top. confused24.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 27 2009, 05:55 PM) *

Is it possible that the silver was a metallic base coat and a transparent green sprayed over the top. confused24.gif

I doubt it. Transparents ( candies as far as I know weren't factory jobs, and this green is not ransparent. There are also too many spots that are only silver like the front wall I posted the pic of.

I googled silber gruen and that is the color I was thinking of, but I'm pretty certain it was second gen cars I have seen it on
tod914
Scott, my gas tank is pulled right now. Do you need any particular shots?
scotty b
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 27 2009, 06:06 PM) *

Scott, my gas tank is pulled right now. Do you need any particular shots?

No thanks Tod, this is just me pondering if this car was sent back to the dealer, or was possibly a custom color change from the factory.
tod914
I see some of that mint green paint on the rubber grommets. Color switch more likely to happen before assembly no?
scotty b
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 27 2009, 06:17 PM) *

I see some of that mint green paint on the rubber grommets. Color switch more likely to happen before assembly no?

Either that or an ALMOST complete dissasembly confused24.gif

FWIW the car is a L96D code = silver
MDG
I had a '73 Marathon Blue car that was originally Sunflower yellow. The woman I bought it from in '83 was the original owner.

The car was immaculate and I bought it - my first 914, I was 20. Took it home and showed my brother who had two 914s and a 911 by then and who also restores cars for a living. The first thing he did was check the code and point out it had had a color change. I called the woman and asked, fearing prior accident etc.

Nope, she didn't like the yellow and they couldn't get any more Marathon blue ones. So she bought and had it taken apart and repainted the color she wanted with less than 100 kilometers on the clock. The only area I could find yellow was some overspray beneath the dash.

the funny thing is that car slowly turned green. The clear coats of '73 weren't what they are today.

m
mein_tag
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 27 2009, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 27 2009, 05:55 PM) *

I googled silber gruen and that is the color I was thinking of, but I'm pretty certain it was second gen cars I have seen it on

that's the original color of my 944. But now it has some crappy arse respray... slap.gif

anyways i know it is a custom color, and think they called it crystal green metalic
orange914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 27 2009, 06:01 PM) *

There are also too many spots that are only silver like the front wall I posted the pic of.

i've been told the 914 was acually dipped in paint from the factory. that sounded ccrazy to me, but after parting 3 original paint cars and looking at the painted areas that would normally be missed with a spray gun i really wonder. besides that have you ever notice the thickness of orig. paint chips?

that said, i would think if it were repainted at the factory the front wall would be the new color confused24.gif

mike
SirAndy
There's green overspray on the rubber grommets ...

Look for large welded seams that do not look factory!
icon8.gif Andy
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 27 2009, 10:18 PM) *

There's green overspray on the rubber grommets ...

Look for large welded seams that do not look factory!
icon8.gif Andy

I did look around fo any damage and the only thing I found are the headlight bucket on the pass side has been bumped but not hard. I did think the grommet overspray was odd given someone obviously went to the effort to remove all the air intake box, gas tank etc, but left 3 grommets in place dry.gif As for the wall not being green, non of the interior is either, so it would seem this was definitely done AFTER the materials were glued in.
MDG
my Marathon car too; they took out the seats and lifted the carpet; behind the backpad still showed Sunflower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.