Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towing question: Can I dolly tow my wreck legally?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I was prepping my car tonight for being towed via dolly (removed the axles and left the stubs on, removed the clutch and accelerator cables, removed loose stuff from the open front trunk) when I noticed that my wreck looks like shit. It would roll down the road, I am fairly sure it will track straight, but then I started wondering if I would get harassed by the 5-o whilst towing my monument to poor driving. Anyone know? If I have to I will try to find a flat bed, but that is gonna cost and I dont know if any are available. The tow dolly I am getting is only $30/day....I hope he has a flat bed or some answers.
jsayre914
thats how i got mine home from nj, and i went through multiple paytolls and police. Not sure if it was leagl, but nobody botherd me. The car had no tags front wheels off the ground, and i had working tail lights. You probably need to rent the tail light thingy, with the trailor. its magnetic i think.

good luck
scotty b
Tow vehicle has tags, trailer has tags, car tracks straight. Fuck the PO-lice fuck fuck the po-lice
Dr Evil
was yours twisted with a huge dent...well, caved in passenger side? Would you try it? Since our cars are non obstructive and the trailer has tail lights I am not worried about that. How bad was your car when you towed it?
Dr Evil
I'll have the cabin tarped with stuff under it. Gonna be a busy day.
DBCooper
If the towed car's wheels are on the ground it has to be licensed. You can usually get a short-term temporary moving permit for little or nothing at your local DMV. I myself risk it from time to time (cough cough) and have never had a problem. Your experience may vary, and if it does don't blame me.

Good luck.
boxstr
Not sure of what the laws might be for your state, but I have tow dollied cars in Calif, Wash, and Oregon. Never had an issue with license on car or tow dolly.
You should check your local state laws, or call the police and ask them.
CCLINTOWOUT
Dr Evil
Sooooo, should I put the license on the towed car?
Spoke
If you still have the plate for the car, put it on.
ws91420
I flat towed from Jersey to NoVa w/no tags on the teener. No problems w/ the man.
orange914
tech. here in ca. the car has to be registered if a wheel touches the road, even when the tow dolly has reg. i would bet most cops wouldn't create an issue if it's being towed with something respectable driving.gif
okieflyr
How far are you going? My GUESS is that if everything is strapped down and tidy, you shouldn't have any issues. Time of day and weather can play into their mood sometimes.
I'm a bit of a hike, but I've got a cartrailer if needed.
Dr Evil
Well, let me see how this plays out and if I need to, I will take you up on that offer smile.gif
stepuptotheMike
you might get some stares as people go... "Dahyymmmm.. that must have hurt" and "is that a FIAT?", but I doubt the PO PO would mess with you.

Mike
Wes V
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 27 2009, 09:47 PM) *

tech. here in ca. the car has to be registered if a wheel touches the road, even when the tow dolly has reg. i would bet most cops wouldn't create an issue if it's being towed with something respectable driving.gif

I agree!

Wes
cobra94563
QUOTE(Wes V @ Feb 28 2009, 07:52 AM) *

I agree!

Wes

agree.gif
to and from the paint shop - no problem.
monkeyboy
In Cali it has to be registered if the wheels touch the road. My neighbor flat towed a car he was selling to the antique swap meet, and got a ticket for having an unregistered vehicle on a public road.

We later found out that the local PD used to wait in the area of the fairgrounds for people to tow in unregistered vehicles. Easy money for them.

When I sold my bug there, it was on a full trailer just to avoid them.
Dr Evil
Well, I made it to VA with no problem. The weather started sucking as soon as I got there. Scotty and I agreed that it woudl be smart for me to tow the bus back with me so I cna work on it without having to come all the way down to VA, but that didnt happen. We tried to do it backwards, but it was wagging my car above 40mph. then we tried to do it forwards, but the rear tire had a slow leak and the hub nut needed to be tightened and after allw as said and done, we were not comfortable towing it with a hub having 2 stripped studs sad.gif About 30min away from the shop I realized we should have just welded the nuts on since I am going to replace the complet hub anyway. I managed to leave right when the snow storm high high geaer so it too forever for me to get home. I got to bead at 1am and was up at 6 and am at work on my 15min lunch break whip[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Sucks about the bus. Just as well I suppose. It would have been frozen in place at my driveway. Your failure to perform meant I got to remove all the snow from where the bus was going to live, instead of having it melt slow and have ice slicks for the next 2 weeks every morning.

I think that you are going to need a heavier vehicle to get the bus home. Its not good to tow something that weighs as much as the vehicle towing it. Doubly when that thing is a bus that will blow all over the road in some wind. Might want to consider just shipping it home, even if it costs more then a dolly and gas.

Zach

Dr Evil
The bus actually doesnt weigh as much as the VUE. If it was stable it would have been fine. I am considering buying a used tow dolly smile.gif You know you will find reasons to use it!
VaccaRabite
Who, me? Never.....

So, when are you going to have it? I need to take my car to get... Oh crap.

NEVER!
VaccaRabite
Who, me? Never.....

So, when are you going to have it? I need to take my car to get... Oh crap.

NEVER! laugh.gif
Katmanken
I've towed cars no problem...

Cops drive up, check to see if you have a legitimate towing rig (not a rope) look for lights, and thhen drive on by...

Don't forget the chains in addition to the ball hook.

Ken
VaccaRabite
Yea double post.

Zach
Dr Evil
Zach = whore
crash914
Mike, I gave away a tow dolly in NH.

I do have a flat bed trailer you can use....it is on your way down...herb
Dr Evil
Ooo, then I can bring you the bumper smile.gif I will have to take you up on that when I get a second to get the bus. Probably next week Thurs.
Cap'n Krusty

In CA, the DMV says that. The cops laugh. BTW, the law here also says you have to register a motorcycle to move it from one location to another, even if it's in the bed of a truck. That means enough of a motorcycle to be considered a bike, like the engine, the frame, or any assembly recognizable as a bike. The cops laugh about that, too. Like they care? They don't have better things to hassle people about?

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.