Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CAD drawing help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
I scanned my intake manifold gasket that goes between my upper and lower intake manifold. (the turbo v6 that is in my 914)

I need it cut out on a waterjet, but thanks to surgery last week (or more so thanks to the percocet and morphine and whatever else I was on) my ability to do much more than type on the computer has limited my ability to get this thing drawn. (I suppose it could be cut out on a CNC mill quite easily)

I scanned the gasket with a piece of graph paper behind it.

could someone help me out with drawing it?

Does anyone have a waterjet or CNC mill that can cut aluminum?

I need this piece, and the piece to mount my throttle body both cut out of aluminum. I need to get a new TB gasket first though.

Chevota79
If you want it in AutoCad send it to me and I will bang it out for you. I can even put it in 3D if you want, Solidworks or Pro-E. Just make sure everything is dimensioned for me.

Joshuaktaylor@yahoo.com
zonedoubt
I can help, AutoCAD or SolidWorks, send me the details.
RJMII
here is the bottom gasket. there are ten lines per inch on the graph paper. (I hope I lined them up correctly)

I'm still working on the TB gasket scan.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 28 2009, 01:09 PM) *

here is the bottom gasket. there are ten lines per inch on the graph paper. (I hope I lined them up correctly)

I'm still working on the TB gasket scan.

It'll be a chore to draw this in CAD without the radius dimensions. Can you scan the image into a bitmap file? That way you can convert to DXF (with the right program), then it can be imported into AutoCAD or SW.
Katmanken
Yo guys,

This is an old school thing that today's digital CAD weenies can't handle.

All the information is there.... it's in the grid....

In the old days, scans shortened in one dimension, but not the other.

Print the part, get a caliper, and measure the sucker remembering that the GRAPH paper holds the clue as to the "accuracy" of the dimensions....

If the graph paper is .25 squares, then four of them equal 1 inch....

If 4 squares measure .95 in one direction, there is your fudge factor in that direction or.... 5%

Radii are EASY... measure the dimeter or radii of the darned things with the caliper aligned with the grid..... Don't forget the fudge factor......

Sheesh, no wonder the Chinese can make a car part from a tracing of an original.... AND, IT FITS!

Kennywonderingwhat theHELLtheyteachinschool
zonedoubt
QUOTE(kwales @ Feb 28 2009, 05:23 PM) *

Yo guys,

This is an old school thing that today's digital CAD weenies can't handle.

All the information is there.... it's in the grid....

In the old days, scans shortened in one dimension, but not the other.

Print the part, get a caliper, and measure the sucker remembering that the GRAPH paper holds the clue as to the "accuracy" of the dimensions....

If the graph paper is .25 squares, then four of them equal 1 inch....

If 4 squares measure .95 in one direction, there is your fudge factor in that direction or.... 5%

Radii are EASY... measure the dimeter or radii of the darned things with the caliper aligned with the grid..... Don't forget the fudge factor......

Sheesh, no wonder the Chinese can make a car part from a tracing of an original.... AND, IT FITS!

Kennywonderingwhat theHELLtheyteachinschool

And that China-made stuff is such high quality. screwy.gif

Sorry, no calipers here. Just CAD software. Give me the radii and the drawing is will be done in minutes. Calculating the radii from the grid is...cumbersome.
Katmanken
Sheesh, todays kids,

It's not calculating, it's measuring.

I've seen people build moon rockets with that technique and they did all their math with a their brain and a pencil and paper....... blink.gif

Ever check to see if the FEA isoftware on the CAD is right? sad.gif

I had some young engineer come up with a deflection aswer that jist didn't seem right... idea.gif

So, I did a quick hand calc (beam deflection, rectangular cross section) and his FEA analysis was off by 2 orders of magnitude!!!! mad.gif

Wanna guess how long it took me to get his attention so that we could go through the simple hand calc analysis step by step??? headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

His second answer was within 5% of my crude calc...

Kennytheoldfart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.