Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know who this is in the red 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ConeDodger
Anyone around in '76 or so?
ConeDodger
No one? It isn't Ralph Meaney is it?
ConeDodger
How about this? The kitty litter to the outside of the turn looks like Road Atlanta to me? What turn is it?
Mugs914
Looks like Road Atlanta to me too, no idea what turn though.

The number 47 Z is listed as Frizelle and John Morton. There are two sixes listed at RA in 1976, one is yellow and black, number 85, driven by John Hulen and Ron Coupland (Pic below...).

The only other 914 that year is listed as number 54. The one in the pic looks like 58 or 59 to me, but no number 58 is listed for that race and number 59 was a BMW 3.0 CSL. At any rate, the 54 914 was driven by Hal Sahlman and Steve Cook. No colors given for this car.

HTH...

Mike
ConeDodger
Thanks Mike,
I am entertaining the idea that the shot may actually be more contemporary and this is a vintage race since Frizzelle's car is still active.
Mugs914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 3 2009, 09:12 PM) *

Thanks Mike,
I am entertaining the idea that the shot may actually be more contemporary and this is a vintage race since Frizzelle's car is still active.

Ha ha ha, that's a good point. Come to think of it, the runoff area in that pic looks a bit generous for 1976...
maf914
Looks like Road Atlanta to me also. I've been there many times. That red clay stains everything. I can't name the turn though.
kart54
There are more pictures of this car in the sandbox in the my 5000th post thread at about page 60, 61 or 62. I suspect it is a recreation of the #59 Brumos Porsche and is a modern picture.
Kart54
TJB/914
confused24.gif Where? confused24.gif When?? confused24.gif

T
maf914
I don't think there were gravel traps at Road Atlanta in the 70's. idea.gif

I was looking at a current track map of Road Atlanta trying to place where a right angle road intersects the racing line with a large runoff area adjacent to it as shown in the photo, but I can't place this intesection on the trackmap. I doubt the track map shows all of the posiible access roads joining the track. It shows only the racing surface and alternate course roads. sad.gif

If you want to take a look:

http://www.roadatlanta.com/PDFs/2008TrackMap.pdf

I think someone is going to have to visit the track to solve this. Who is going to the Mitty HSR event in April? laugh.gif
Zimms
I think it is the exit at 10b, starting up the hill to the bridge. There is that horseshoe part used for drifting that makes the 90 degree with the track. I'd bet the picture was taken from the bridge, right after you cross it to the infield. The skids in front look like some one that caught some oversteer coming out of the turn, and I think the concrete wall in the background is part of the start into the tunnel.

Look at the wall in the middle right

The wall ends in the middle of the picture

Still no help identifying the car, though...
maf914
I considered the drifting horseshoe as well, but I thought if you were looking out from it across the track you would see the concrete viewing terraces behind the retaining wall. The terraces are not visible in the photo above. But, I am not really sure. idea.gif

Edit: The concrete terraces were added at some time this decade. Turns 10a and 10b were drastically reprofiled a few years ago. The drift horseshoe was added in the last couple of years. The photo could have been taken before that. That right angle road could be the service access road at 10a. Obviously, I am still confused. confused24.gif

By the way, when we go to the Petit we usually view from the top of the concrete terraces. The viewing is better from the other side of the track (inside the track), but that viewing area is prime and you have to get there pretty early to grab a spot. As party crowds continue to increase at these big events like the Daytona 24, Sebring 12, and Road Atlanta Petit we've decided not to fight the masses if it can be avoided. Gotta find a middle ground where the event is still enjoyable and worth attending. laugh.gif
SirAndy

The angle of the camera does not capture the retaining wall in front of the terraces.
The wall you see is the one going NW.

driving.gif Andy
maf914
Good photo, Andy.

Your arrow location looks pretty good, but I am still not sure. The various alterations over the years makes it hard to be sure.

By the way, the fenced enclosure on the entrance road to the infield, just right of the crossover bridge, is where the Porsche corral is located. All of the pretty Porsches park there and get covered with red clay dust from the non-stop stream of traffic during the weekend.
maf914
Andy, I keep comparing photos and I think you are probably correct.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Zimms
Found it! The owner is Frank Beck

Page 2, end of paragraph 8

Photo

I don't know what year. I didn't find any reference to Friselle. My guess is that the event is the Mitty.
maf914
According to the HSR event poster the 30th Anniversary Mitty Challenge was April 26-29, 2007.

http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.nsf/web...7J?OpenDocument
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.