Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Spark
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Just completed my first 100 miles and did an oil and filter change.. I decided to also upgrade the engine harness. In doing so I made a mistake in the coil wiring. I initially had the negative on #3 and the positive on #5.

After realizing the mistake I move the wires down so the negative is on #5 and the positive is on #7.

Did not think that this was a big deal since:
#3 = 0 voltage
#5 = 3 volts
#7 = 12 volts

But now I have not spark in any of the cylinders. I check my grounds and it they are fine also checked the fuses all ok.

Could I have ruined the coil, How can I check it and ideas?

Thank you,
Dan

Click to view attachment
ejm
Coils are pretty tough. You could do a quick check of the windings with an ohm meter. Are you running points or some electronic ignition that might of been damaged?
solex
Ed,
I'm running points, not after market stuff in the ignition with the exception of magnecores...

What should be the resistance be between the posts?
Thanks,
Dan
r_towle
Take off the distributor cap.
Put a plug wire on the coil with a plug in it.
Ground the plug to the motor.
Turn key on
Take a screw driver and open and close the points.
You should see a nice FAT spark on the plug.

Easier way.
remove distributor cap.
turn key on
open and close point with a screw driver
you will see a faint spark at the points.
Rich
solex
Call me stupid, I do not remember pulling the condenser off of the coil but apparently put it back on the positive side of the coil when I replaced the engine harness

Replaced the burnt points and the condenser, timed the car and took it out for a quick drive before the snow. Car ran great finally got to rev it over 2500 rpm, heat works well.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.