Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914S ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
okjoe
I have just acquired a 73, sold as a "parts car". When I picked it up , I found the ID on the rear to read 914 S. I found a copy of a 1972 advertisement featuring the new 914S. Is this car significant, or even rare?

Here is a picture--Vin 4732906151, Original color, Olympic Blue L51P.

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(okjoe @ Mar 1 2009, 08:56 AM) *

I found a copy of a 1972 advertisement featuring the new 914S. Is this car significant, or even rare?

Some people will collect anything, and if the ad is in good shape, there are collectors of vintage marketing literature. I can't tell you how rare or desirable it'd be - there is a BIG Porsche lit show coming up on the west coast - that'd be -the- place to find the price point. Or check EBay for similar items.

You may already know this, but '914S' was the original marketing name for the car that was later officially named the "914 2,0"

Ya know - naming a product "Something 2.0" was actually a pretty prescient tactic. As I think on it, this might have been one of the first instances of a product version number like that...

The ad might be significant and marketable - there's 'probably' nothing special about the car tho, sorry...
jonferns
I think he's asking about the car itself, not the ad. I'd be interested in seeing that 914S badge.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 1 2009, 09:16 AM) *

I think he's asking about the car itself, not the ad. I'd be interested in seeing that 914S badge.

depends on what he means by 'the ID.'
I don't think i've ever seen an actual factory badge so I agree, that'd be interesting.
As for the car, the VIN and shell number will reveal the most detail...
type47
When the 2 Liter came out, there was an early idea to market it as an "S" but there was never an official, factory 914S. 'course, you could get an "S" script, for example for a 356, and make a "914S" badge or put just the "S" on. There is a fellow around here who has a 912 "S" biggrin.gif
914Sixer

The 914S designation is given on the last 2 pages of the 1973 deluxe brochure. I have never seen a 914S emblem. A picture of the emblem would be greatly appreciated.
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif let's see it. dance.gif assimilate.gif
orange914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Mar 1 2009, 06:10 AM) *

You may already know this, but '914S' was the original marketing name for the car that was later officially named the "914 2,0"

i always wandered about the exact definition of a 914s

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Mar 1 2009, 06:16 AM) *

agree.gif
okjoe
Now I have posted a picture.

Thanks for any input.

Joe
KELTY360
Somebody added the 'S' at a later date, possibly from a 911. If it was factory, it would have been closer to the 914. The thickness of the material also looks a little different from the S to 914.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 1 2009, 02:08 PM) *

Somebody added the 'S' at a later date, possibly from a 911. If it was factory, it would have been closer to the 914. The thickness of the material also looks a little different from the S to 914.

agree.gif 100%
ArtechnikA

Somebody added the 'S' at a later date, possibly from a 911.

I don't know /4 VINs well enough to know if you can tell what was a 1,7 from what was a 2,0 by the VIN. My recollection (also fuzzy...) was that the early 914 2,0's all had the '2,0' badge. So my guess is that the car in question is a 1,7
KELTY360
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Mar 1 2009, 11:18 AM) *

Somebody added the 'S' at a later date, possibly from a 911.

I don't know /4 VINs well enough to know if you can tell what was a 1,7 from what was a 2,0 by the VIN. My recollection (also fuzzy...) was that the early 914 2,0's all had the '2,0' badge. So my guess is that the car in question is a 1,7

confused24.gif How would that matter? All 1.7s in '73 were badged also.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 1 2009, 03:00 PM) *

...How would that matter? All 1.7s in '73 were badged also.

Well, see, there ya go -- I just don't claim to know the newer cars very well... ;-)

Since I thought the 1,7 badge had different mounting holes (i.e. more than that 'S' would cover) there are a few possibilities.

But it would matter in that not only were there -no- '914S' cars, if this is a 1,7 it wouldn't have been one if there were...
okjoe
According to Dr. B. Johnson, in Restorer's Guide to Authenticity, page 6, the 1973 2.0 was originally called the 914S by the US importer.

This car is equipped with Pedrini wheels, center console with 3 gauges, fog lights, chrome bumpers, etc.

I cannot find anywhere that the cars were actually badged as S.

Joe
messix
some one forgot the "turbo" to go next to the "s" and a big ricer wing.

looks like a add on from a p/o . confused24.gif
type47fan
. . . looks like it had a CB antenna, at one time, good buddy . . . .
sixnotfour
Troy I thought you would have noticed the CB antenna mount (broke off)

this guy thinks he bought one too, 914S
messix
yea i noticed but didn't think any of these pinky lifters would know what i was talking about happy11.gif

can you imagine the ground plane these cars give with all the flat panels! prolly exelent reception.
Jeffs9146
I have just acquired a 73, sold as a "parts car".

914 S = 914 Salvage!!

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Joe Bob
My recollection was that the "S" was a US marketing strategy that wasn't sanctioned by the factory. They pulled it after a year.
sixnotfour
914 S (scrap) you could have something , Same car as above 34 yrs later.

Notice the less than happy kid that inherited it. thanks mom hissyfit.gif
al weidman
I was selling the cars at the time and I thought the European cars were designated "S"" for the 2.0 intro and that the "S" was dropped due to preassure from PCA. Is there any way to see if it was imported from Europe? I do know that the '72 2.0 was supposed to be an "S" model somewhere. Al. confused24.gif
Mike Knox
I think we need to welcome this "newbie" He's none other than Joe Yoder of the Great 914 "Roundy-round". He and Steve(?) Milovich(?) another Rennlist member made a circular trip from Dallas around the Western United States and then across the northern tier winding up at the PCA parade in Milwaukee. I think that was 2002 or 2003. They proved that a nearly 40 year old Porsche still has "IT" (aka reliability) I had the great pleasure of hosting them for a good nights sleep, and then fresh Oregon Blueberry pancakes in the morning.

Welcome Joe!! beerchug.gif

THEN AGAIN I MAY BE WRONG, AND THIS IS A DIFFERENT JOE. BUT I DO KNOW JOE YODER WAS LOOKING AT A 1973 914 PARTS CAR IN OKLAHOMA, AND OFTEN DESCRIBES HIMSELF AS A "OKIE"
Bleyseng
73 vin and too late for the "S" tag as the early 73's are thought of as the "S" 914's. These were loaded with goodies, had early style doors with early windows winders, and other 70-72 features besides being light weight.
Generally its said the first 1000 2.0L of 73 were the "S" cars...but as Z said the Porsche/Audi Dealers of America named em the "S" and Porsche AG said "NO" hence the 2.0l emblem..

That "S" is a add on..

If this is Joe Yoder, hello, long time to see! chair.gif Still selling ASKO?
SLITS
It also has a '74 rear bumper unless somebody drilled a couple holes and put bolts thru them to emulate mounts for titties.
sixnotfour
73 vin and too late for the "S" tag as the early 73's are thought of as the "S" 914's. These were loaded with goodies, had early style doors with early windows winders, and other 70-72 features besides being light weight.

The Orange Pumkin car chris owns has these features as well as vinyl front windshiled frame. But it didnt have factory sway bars.
effutuo101
but, it has sway bars now! biggrin.gif

popcorn[1].gif
messix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 1 2009, 10:06 PM) *

The Orange Pumkin car chris owns has these features as well as vinyl front windshiled frame. But it didnt have factory sway bars.

"pumpkin" av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

priceless av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif new name for the car!
sixnotfour
pumpkin sheeplove.gif

pumkin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oNp6TExuY

you choose beer.gif
messix
The Great Pumpkin Charley Brown!
orange914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 1 2009, 10:00 PM) *

Generally its said the first 1000 2.0L of 73 were the "S" cars...but as Z said the Porsche/Audi Dealers of America named em the "S" and Porsche AG said "NO" hence the 2.0l emblem..

That "S" is a add on..

If this is Joe Yoder, hello, long time to see! chair.gif Still selling ASKO?

now i'm more confused... smile.gif i have an early 73 (first 1000)and have communicated with many of the "early 73" owners on this site about these cars features. what seems prevelent is they are very wel optioned, but most started life as 1.7.

this is an interesting thread idea.gif

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 1 2009, 10:00 PM) *

It also has a '74 rear bumper unless somebody drilled a couple holes and put bolts thru them to emulate mounts for titties.

my 73 had " confused24.gif titties"
Dave_Darling
A 73 should have only had them on the front. I think the comment above is talking about the rear bumper--but those holes may have been for the antenna that others were talking about earlier in-thread.

--DD
72914S
My 72 has an "S" after the 914, but I added it because its a special.
SLITS
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 1 2009, 11:50 PM) *

A 73 should have only had them on the front. I think the comment above is talking about the rear bumper--but those holes may have been for the antenna that others were talking about earlier in-thread.

--DD

The big hole with the 3 mounting holes were for a whip antenna. To the right of that is two more, in a horizontal plane, for mounting the rear bumperettes.
Dave_Darling
Yup, I went back and looked after I posted... smile.gif It indeed looks like the holes for the 74-only "rear bumper tits".

--DD
effutuo101
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 1 2009, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 1 2009, 10:06 PM) *

"pumpkin" av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

priceless av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif new name for the car!
\
Sorry for the hijack
Laugha while you can monkey boy!

When I got the car the plate said "PUNKIN" My wife loves it. Since she tolerates my hobby, I have no problem keeping with that line.
biggrin.gif
Cevan
QUOTE(okjoe @ Mar 1 2009, 08:56 AM) *

I think your engine grill is missing the "S" in PORSCHE.
okjoe
Hey guys-

Thanks for the welcome--Just so you will know, I'm not Joe Yoder, but he sounds like an interesting guy.

This car came from MO, where it has supposedly been in a storage building for the last 15 years. The hole in the rear is, indeed, for a CB antenna.

And yes, it looks like a 74 bumper.

Thanks again for the welcome,
Joe
messix
sorry joe that this thread got hyjacked and some fun was made about the car. we are a good group of friends from all over the world that have these cars in common, sometimes we actually get serious about them and many here have very extensive knowledge of just about aspect of these cars. i hope that you can join in on the social scene and add your personality to the colorful characters here as well as gain any help and knowledge that you need.

and welcome.png
Mike Knox
QUOTE(okjoe @ Mar 2 2009, 09:41 AM) *

Hey guys-

Thanks for the welcome--Just so you will know, I'm not Joe Yoder, but he sounds like an interesting guy.

Joe

Well it isn't the first time I jumped to conclusions, and it won't be the last.
Somedays that's the only exercise I get (jumping to conclusions, running around in circles etc.) unsure.gif

welcome.png

Mike

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(okjoe @ Mar 2 2009, 09:41 AM) *

This car came from MO, where it has supposedly been in a storage building for the last 15 years.
Joe

Makes sense now...if it came from MO, the S stands for the SHOW me state biggrin.gif
marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.