Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT KIT on SPEED 8amPT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixnotfour
Saw the last episode pretty entertaining . The guys used a whole lot of bondo popcorn[1].gif

Boxster to Carrera GT for under 25K
messix
i caught 15 min. of it this morning. kinds portrayed it in a hack way, but had some good ideas on getting fit and gaps. they just looked so back yard hack for a tv show.

was du pont a sponsor or advertiser..... huge amount of bondo.
boxstr
A $25,000 fiberglass, wannabe Carrera GT.
I saw one in Palm Desert a couple of years ago. It looked good from a block away, but as I walked closer, not so good.
I personally think it is a waste of a perfectly good Boxster, and a lot of money that could be used on a more viable project.
CCLINNOKITCARATCAMP
sean_v8_914
I googled the kit. teh proportions are off to the point of funky-ness.
mbrown3039
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 1 2009, 09:03 AM) *

i caught 15 min. of it this morning. kinds portrayed it in a hack way, but had some good ideas on getting fit and gaps. they just looked so back yard hack for a tv show.

was du pont a sponsor or advertiser..... huge amount of bondo.

I couln't believe they spent the money for matching Hawaiian shirts...but not a work bench! Or a pneumatic cut-off tool (instead of a sawzall)...or work lights...or bondo mixing tubs (instead of old water jugs)....but -- at least in Vegas -- there's no other car show on at that time, so I suspect I'll keep watching. smile.gif Mike
70Sixter
I meant to post this topic but forgot. I have seen two episodes and find it educational to see the guts of a Box and how it went togather.

The car is a 97 and had been wrecked and repaired (badly). Bought for $1100-1400 not sure exactly.

Why anybody would pay $25k to convert a 2.5 to CGT looks mystifies me. I guess to some image is everything as the Canon camera adds used to say.
stepuptotheMike
I saw this for the first time on Sunday morning as I was doing chores around the house. Seemed like a good idea for a show, but there was about 3 minutes of usable content through the whole thing. The rest of it was so glossed over that it was pointless.

Looked like they were using flux-core wire on their welder cause I didn't see a gas tip on the thing at all... and they just seemed to be waving the thing around with sparks flying everywhere. Granted, I'm no welding expert as I just layed down my first bead last weekend, but it struck me as pretty odd.

I would also love to know what exactly does one have to do to qualify as a "car guy".... I think I understand the responsibilities of host... it's the "car guy" qualification that I'm not so sure about confused24.gif

Mike
mbrown3039
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Mar 4 2009, 05:05 PM) *

I saw this for the first time on Sunday morning as I was doing chores around the house. Seemed like a good idea for a show, but there was about 3 minutes of usable content through the whole thing. The rest of it was so glossed over that it was pointless. Mike

I've known a couple of different guys who were the subject of "reality" TV shows -- and, in both cases, they paid for the production themselves.

So I guess the short answer is this: if you've got the cash, you too can be a "car guy" -- or a "boat guy," or a "porsche guy," or a "survivor guy" (although that guy Les is the real deal when it comes to surviving outdoors) or anything else you want to claim yourself to be an expert of.

I'll have to read the credits next time the show is on and see how many of the car shop guys are also the producers, directors, etc...the other Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.