Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: beach boys racing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
charliew
I was interested in the convertable conversion they seem to have done and thought I would order a dvd. What I got was something that seemed to be maybe down loaded from some blogs or something including some movie junk about someone trying to be a actor. Most of the dialogue was drowned out by background music. Do the convertable conversions really still exist or was this stuff only around in the 90's? I think I found the ad on ebay is that the answer?
Bruce Hinds
Try this, it's their other business...
Venice Beach Auto Body
703 Hampton Dr
Venice, CA 90291
(310) 396-3221
charliew
At some time they had some pretty neat mods going on but it seems to be all in the past now. The dvd was supposed to be a convertable how to I thought but it is only some old tapes converted randomly and put on dvd. The copying is something I would not attempt to sell to anyone.
sixnotfour
I think I found the ad on ebay is that the answer?

Yes thats the guy, Bob Farnham? visited the shop in 89 He took a picture of my gas cap WoW.
Bruce Hinds
I think there was a company called Wilco Autorestorations that did the speedster top conversion....
boxstr
If someone is interested I have the Wilco, 914 convertible top frame and a used vinyl top.
ALso a Wilco brochure.
Contact me at camp914@comcast.net
CCLINTOPLESS
race914

Here's another convertible option

IPB Image

http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com/inte...bodykits15.html
736conver
Was this the ad on ebay
ebay linky

KELTY360
QUOTE(race914 @ Mar 1 2009, 01:31 PM) *

Cool, a mid-engine Miata! It's what Mazda should have done. Does it have a Wankel? -2? or -3?
GeorgeRud
Actually, looks like a Miata front end with a Carerra GT rear end! Not a bad look IMHO.
Joe Bob
Next door to Otto's....
burton73
Bob Farnfam is living the relaxed life in the mountains in the Lake Arrowhead area. The cops think his Red 914 is a Ferrari. A very nice guy. They still have the mod kits but they do not have the steel turbo 930 rear fenders now only the glass ones. If you are thinking of doing a convertible you should get a DVD as they show you how they cut the targa off and the DVD it is worth the money. That was not that cheesy.

Bob

sawzall-smiley.gif
al weidman
I ordered the DVD from ebay too and the first one was basicly non-operable. I sent Bob an email, checked it out and called me on my phone, apologized and rushed me a new one. He is a very nice guy and HIS customer service was excellent. Just contact him and I'm sure you will be satisfied. I plan on contacting him for more details when I get my rollbar removed. Thanks Bob. Al. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
sixnotfour
Remember the" Monterey." The car they built for the parade?
It wasnt all show ,he put a roll bar in for the track event.
Does he have the same girl friend ?
Heeltoe914
I can inform you that thier is a effort to bring it back and if you need any more info LMK I have contact with all the guys at the shop, best thing is its the same crew from the first intro, of the kit.
charliew
I thought I was getting a how to on the convertable top conversion and it was barely viewable. Also no prices on the kits or individual parts. It was really a crude attempt to show a neat product that may be no longer available. If it is available it may be very expensive. In the video they mentioned a monterey kit but nothing about it other than a few glimpses. The convertable kit showed a basic kit and a delux kit with different curved side windows and larger vent windows. Also a new aluminum frame with porsche speedster latches instead of the 914 latches.

The monterey was shown as a hard tonneau cover that either opened to cover the soft top or raised to expose the engine compartment and the rear trunk, with the soft top inside. It raised from the front, latching behind the seats.
brp986s
So...like, what is the point? You convert a convertible to a convertible, lose the rollover protection, get a noisy ragtop, and blow thousands at a time when dollars should be saved. Is the rest of the car 100%? wacko.gif
sixgt
Hmmm....I guess it's why Porsche decided to add the Cabriolet to the 911 line in 1983 when the Targa had already been around for over 15 years.
brp986s
QUOTE(sixgt @ Mar 2 2009, 07:55 AM) *

Hmmm....I guess it's why Porsche decided to add the Cabriolet to the 911 line in 1983 when the Targa had already been around for over 15 years.

hmmm...how many take their targa and convert it to a cab, never to recoup that expenditure, then yearn for that wasted money when other needs arise?
sixgt
Isn't it nice the we have the right to choose how we spend our money. I think that if everyone here was worried about recouping the thousands we have invested in our cars, either in restoration or mods it would be a pretty light forum.
Joe Bob
Very few manufacturers made cabs/converts in the late 70s and early 80s. It was due to liability. Too many lawsuits. Something changed in the courts and then Lee Iaccoca came out with Convertible LeBaron....everyone went GAGA.

Porsche has a factory "how to" book on converting 911 Targas.....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 2 2009, 08:26 AM) *

Very few manufacturers made cabs/converts in the late 70s and early 80s. It was due to liability. Too many lawsuits. Something changed in the courts and then Lee Iaccoca came out with Convertible LeBaron....everyone went GAGA.

Porsche has a factory "how to" book on converting 911 Targas.....

agree.gif Didn't BMW and Mercedes send cars to an American company to have them converted from hardtop for the American market during this period?
Renaud914
No other owner here ?

No more infos shared about these BBR convertibles ?

I would be happy to buy a DVD copy if still available.

Sadly not able to be in contact with Bob thru FB ...Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Porscheguy912
Here is my Speedster. Ton of fun.Click to view attachment
Renaud914
Good news and idea for the roll cage !
Done by BBR too ? I thought that all had the vented hole on the 2 sides ...

Do you have other picture of your engine cover ?
Mine is quite basic with a wooden carpeted panel ...Click to view attachment
914work
QUOTE(Renaud914 @ Jul 26 2017, 06:24 AM) *
Done by BBR too ? I thought that all had the vented hole on the 2 sides ...

Where exactly do the holes/scoops "vent" to?
Renaud914
On the rear flares near the door lock as you can see in mine ...
burton73
Look on EBay and see if there are any DVDs. I do not know where mine are that Bob sent to me for free when I bought a front bumper from him back in 2009

As I said a nice guy.
Bob B
Renaud914
Sadly I checked yet but didn't see one ! :-(
You will tell me if you find it later ...

Are you able to contact again Bob ?
I would like to know if there are some records still existing about the convertible modification > invoice with détails or any modification certificate ?
It would be interesting for the owners today ...
burton73
I only spoke to him a couple of times when I bought a bumper from him back several years ago. Like 8 years ago. He had a lot of parts from back in the day. Selling them on EBay. No idea how to find him. Well if you call the shop that in now in his old place maybe someone can help you out. As far a Mod cert, I do not think you will get anything that would help you in France.

Bob B

SirAndy
QUOTE(Renaud914 @ Jul 26 2017, 06:24 AM) *
Do you have other picture of your engine cover ? Mine is quite basic with a wooden carpeted panel ...

Puts a whole new meaning to the term firewall ...
icon8.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.