Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zen motorcycle
Hi, I haven't been around in a while, but need some help. I am on the fence on whether to sell my 73 2.0. Here is the deal. I put it up on the dredded jack stands to swap a transmission and in the process found rust in the passenger and firewall area, and I have been stuck ever sense... 18 months later and there it sits. What kills me most as this was a great running car and I enjoyed it tremendously, but body work is not my thing at all, and I can't just ship it to the body shop right now. I am to the point now of selling it just so someone else can get it back on the road and enjoy it like it should be. Any experiences with this and what was the outcome? Do you regret it now?

Thanks
dinomium
POR-15 the baddness put it back together and drive it... that is what I am going to do...
messix
agree.gif do the best "you" can to clean up the rust and use a converter to stop what you did find and then enjoy the car.
don't let the rest of these lunatics that take a rust bucket back from the scrap heap to a show car deter you from lovin your car, there old and flawed but fun as hell.
JoeSharp
agree.gif Yeah, put it back together and drive it like you stole it. If it comes out here it will get scraped.
jc914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif driving.gif driving.gif
do a quick fix
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(jc914 @ Mar 1 2009, 06:30 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif driving.gif driving.gif
do a quick fix

Original thread with pics here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=77016&hl=
carr914
I don't agree with just put it back together and drive it like you stole it. To do that is irresponsible for anyone of us to say, because what happens if your car breaks and your injured? But I don't think you need to spend a gazillion dollars either.

You said in the other thread that you can weld, but may not have the right rig. Can you rent the rig or is their a member near you in Dallas that can help you with this?

I would grind out the existing rust and POR15 it, put in an Engman/Mayeur kit to tie in the firewall/floor and reinforce the area behind it.

Then put it together & drive.

T.C.
GaroldShaffer
I know how you feel, had the same issue back in the 90's with my 73 I did fix it with help from friend. If you are not sure on how to fix this I would post a I NEED HELP thread and offer some beerchug.gif chowtime.gif to at least come over and help you get started. I am sure between teh different 914 sites you could get someone to show you how and what to do. If the only reason you want to sell it is because you can't do teh body work I say keep it and ask for help. If it is because you lost intrest in teh car OR need $$, then I would sell it.

that's my 2 cents. Good luck.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ Mar 3 2009, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(jc914 @ Mar 1 2009, 06:30 PM) *

do a quick fix

Original thread with pics here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=77016&hl=

You call that rust? I don't see no stinkin rust!. I'll show you RUST!

OK, here's what you do. Not a welder? Go get yourself about 6 square feet of 16ga from you local steel guy, a bunch of 3/16" pop rivets and a half dozen tubes of heavy duty construction adhesive. Determine where the good metal starts and cut the repair metal to size. Flanging may be an issue but if you've got a 5" vice and a big hammer you can do it. Won't be pretty but it'll work. Now bed the new metal in construction adhesive and lay it in place and pop rivet the hell out of it and finish everything off with Por 15 or (my fav) Rust Bullet. Oh yeah, forget the jack points. Then, get in that bad puppy and drive it.

Granted, this is not a conventional fix and it'll probably get you kicked out of many car shows and banned for life. But, with your limited rust, it's a solid fix and if it means the difference between letting the car sit and deteriate and putting it back on the road I say go for it. Good luck.

Tom
markb
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 1 2009, 10:30 AM) *

agree.gif do the best "you" can to clean up the rust and use a converter to stop what you did find and then enjoy the car.
don't let the rest of these lunatics that take a rust bucket back from the scrap heap to a show car deter you from lovin your car, there old and flawed but fun as hell.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.