Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual Carb Gasket question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I was putting my dual carbs onto my motor today and had a quick question. Does the rubber insulator have to be on the heads that go in between the heads and intake? I was given a new gasket for the intake to head and was wondering do i just use this one thin gasket or leave the thick insulator in between? The reason i ask is because the intakes have thick flanges and with the insulator theres barely any thread to put the bolts back on, i can't even get the washers onto the bolts, there just isn't enough thread with the insulators on there. Thanks
JoeSharp
No thick gaskets for the carbs. They need some heat and don't work as well when cold.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Mar 1 2009, 03:21 PM) *

No thick gaskets for the carbs. They need some heat and don't work as well when cold.

I dis-agree ...

Use the thick FI gaskets. They will insulate the runners from the heads and help prevent the fuel from boiling in the bowls after a spirited drive.

Seen it many times. You park the car after a nice drive and then it won't start. Vapor lock because of the heat soak from the heads.

You might need longer studs to get enough thread on the nuts.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
turnaround89
So the thin gasket won't be enough, i need the thicker one. Is there anyway to make the intake runner flange thinner, grinding or something to get more threads? If not, how do i get longer studs and how do you get the studs out?
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Mar 1 2009, 04:08 PM) *

So the thin gasket won't be enough, i need the thicker one. Is there anyway to make the intake runner flange thinner, grinding or something to get more threads? If not, how do i get longer studs and how do you get the studs out?

You don't *need* them. It'll run fine with the paper gaskets, provided you can get them to seal right. The flanges better be perfect ...

However, in my experience, the thicker gaskets are beneficial.

Longer studs are plentiful at your local hardware store. Removal is easy with the good old double-nut trick. You might have to get two relatively thin nuts, depending on how much thread is sticking out of the head.
smash.gif Andy
SirAndy
Here's a pic of longer studs installed. Those heads came off my 2056 ...

bye1.gif Andy

turnaround89
Are the studs just a reverse thread? and the double nut trick will make it so i can twist them out. is that right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Mar 1 2009, 08:53 PM) *

Are the studs just a reverse thread? and the double nut trick will make it so i can twist them out. is that right?

Huh? confused24.gif

Nope, no reverse thread. Just plain ole studs.
Double nutting (is that a word? biggrin.gif ) will effectively give you a temporary "head" you can put a wrench on and remove the old stud.

You use the same method to insert the new studs ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
SGB
Tighten the two bolts together( against each other) as tightly as possible, then if you can, I try to get a wrench on the bottom one, if not, a socket on the top should work if the bolts don't seperate first.
turnaround89
Really? the studs are just a press fit in. Then why don't they pull out when i put the intakes on and put the nuts on, with enough force wouldn't they just back out?
southernmost914
shades.gif shades.gif Threaded into heads shades.gif

Steve
rhodyguy
if you are trying to use steel cut lock washers under the nuts try schnoor washers. the same ones used on the cvjoint bolts. they're thin and you'll prob be able to get the nuts on. compressing the cut washers is way more torque than you need to effectively seal the intake gaskets and if torqued in a weird sequense you may build in a vaccume leak. if your linkage is setup for use of the phenolic (plastic) FI intake gaskets you will need to adj it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Mar 1 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Really? the studs are just a press fit in. Then why don't they pull out when i put the intakes on and put the nuts on, with enough force wouldn't they just back out?

Press fit? confused24.gif
No, the heads have threaded holes for the studs ...

Don't tell me you never double nutted a stud! lol-2.gif

Sorry, but that just doesn't sound right ...
biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.