Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended glue? Front trunk rubber molding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
haasman
What's the recommended glue for the front trunk seal?

A 90 degree corner of the molding by one of the headlights came apart. I thought maybe Super Glue? Then possibly silicone?

What do the experts recommend?

Thanks

Haasman
ConeDodger
I have heard you aren't supposed to glue it at all... But if you did it would most probably be the stuff they call weatherstrip adhesive.

I think the theory is that water can get trapped if you glue it... Experts are lurking though... We may hear different.
jonferns
Dont glue it! Just rest it in place, this way you can remove it periodically to clean under it. Not an expert btw.
bandjoey
Hijack but all about the front seal and putting it down...thanks ya'll
I bought an original front seal from the dealer and it won't lay flat. It rolls inward and I can't get the hood closed without it puckering up somewhere?? Heat and stretch? Defective Seal? Glue? Suggestons
haasman
..... Not about gluing down to the car ..... about gluing the two molding pieces together.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 1 2009, 07:47 PM) *

Hijack but all about the front seal and putting it down...thanks ya'll
I bought an original front seal from the dealer and it won't lay flat. It rolls inward and I can't get the hood closed without it puckering up somewhere?? Heat and stretch? Defective Seal? Glue? Suggestons

tod914
I tried a 3M weather strip adhesive once. It worked ok, not great. Lasted about a year. Maybe look into a good rubber cement/adhesive.
Nana's_914
Maybe o'ring adhesive would be appropriate:

McMaster-Carr - 7569A22
Loctite Quick Set 404 Super Glue Begins to Harden-30 Seconds, 0.33 oz (1/3) Bottle
In stock at $22.49 Each
number6
The higher-grade 3M weatherstripping adhesive (my local auto stores offer a couple to choose from) has worked great for me - no issue whatsoever. It peels off easily should the need arise (it doesn't harden).

I tried not gluing but found it annoying to always have to fix the seal (it inevitably will catch funny, especially at the top edge). I POR15 my seal channels, so I don't worry about rust.
golfcart
QUOTE(haasman @ Mar 1 2009, 10:07 PM) *

What's the recommended glue for the front trunk seal?

A 90 degree corner of the molding by one of the headlights came apart. I thought maybe Super Glue? Then possibly silicone?

What do the experts recommend?

Thanks

Haasman

Try some double sided tape for the area. Once it takes a set ... it should be fine.
southernmost914
I will reccomend 3M Super Weatherstip and Gasket Adhesive Model# 08008. Works good for repairing damaged/torn seals. Use a little only where needed to hold seals from rolling and in place. biggrin.gif

Steve
underthetire
All about super glue: Drugstore/supermarket superglue is not so super! Anchor bond makes really good superglue (and awesome epoxy). If you can't wait and you need it now, go to the hobby shop. The super glue ( Zap, etc ) is also much better than your local market. The drugstore stuff is modified for the lame public ( kinda like McDonald's coffee is hot warning).

http://www.anchorseal.com/about.html

http://www.zapglue.com/
jmill
Any cyanacrylic glue will leave a white residue and get smoking hot when it sets. It's good to fix ripped molding in small areas. I wouldn't use it in any large area. My vote would be a rubber cement or specialty weather stripping cement. It stays flexible and doesn't damage the paint or the seal.
rudedude
I've used neoprene cement from any diving store with very good success.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.