Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front/rear crankshaft seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I am refreshing a stock 2.0 engine, mostly cleaning, seals, etc. I bought new front and rear crank seals but I'm not sure if I should replace them. There was no obvious evidence of leakage. However, the motor is on a dolly so access to the seals is prime. Hayne does not have much info on replacement. How's the best way to replace these. Do I need a puller to get the fan carrier off?
underthetire
QUOTE(Cevan @ Mar 2 2009, 08:45 AM) *

I am refreshing a stock 2.0 engine, mostly cleaning, seals, etc. I bought new front and rear crank seals but I'm not sure if I should replace them. There was no obvious evidence of leakage. However, the motor is on a dolly so access to the seals is prime. Hayne does not have much info on replacement. How's the best way to replace these. Do I need a puller to get the fan carrier off?

Don't know about the fan, but I would re-seal everything I possibly could with the engine out. ( PS i use this stuff whenever I can. Not always labeled by Edelbrock)
justme

Hi Chris,

You might? biggrin.gif Did you get the "good" ones from Jake? I have a puller that you can borrow if you need it. The seals pop out pretty easy. If you'd like you can also borrow Jake's dvd or Tom Wilsons book, mucho good info.
Let me know and I can probably swing by and give you a hand.

Phil
Cevan
QUOTE(justme @ Mar 2 2009, 11:16 PM) *

Hi Chris,

You might? biggrin.gif Did you get the "good" ones from Jake? I have a puller that you can borrow if you need it. The seals pop out pretty easy. If you'd like you can also borrow Jake's dvd or Tom Wilsons book, mucho good info.

Phil

Phil, thanks for the offer. I bought the seals from Pelican. I have a puller. I assume it doesn't matter if I mangle the seals getting them out as long as I don't mar the case or crankshaft surfaces. To get the new ones in, I plan to lube them with some Brad Penn and try and find a tube with a similar diameter (PVC?) to press them in.

Feel free to stop by. I'm bringing my car out of storage next weekend into my garage and will be swapping the 1.8 out for this 2.0 that I picked up last summer.
Dave_Darling
I think I'd leave them if they're not leaking.

--DD
r_towle
Lets see.
To pull the fan thing, take off the fan.
I use two wonder bars, but some flat 1/8 inch or fatter steel will work.
The piece of steel, would be shaped like a U and fit behind the fan thing and rest flat against the case.
The idea is to use the bolts that hold the fan on, and push against the flat piece of steel to pop the thing off.
Its on there, really good.
Its a tapered fit and sometimes it will fly accross the room....so you dont want your family jewels in target range while you do this...trust me.

So, I use two flat piece of steel, or two wonderbars..they work once you snug up the bolts.
Then, once the bolts are snug and holding the steel in place, get a map gas torch and heat up the fitting.
SLOWLY turn the bolts in...make sure you use enough heat.
It will pop. loud and fast.
It will fly off, so be prepared to catch it...I put a piece of plywood leaning against something right in front of it so it stops.

I have also take them off nice and calm, but that is rare in my experience.

To remove the seal, I use a custom bent screw driver.
Dont scratch the case, dont pry against the case or the crank.
Just get behind it and pull. It will shred, thats ok...just pull out the pieces without scratching anything.

To put the new one in, use a piece of PVC or pipe that is the size of the seal and TAP it in place...lube it with oil, all over.

Rich
justme
QUOTE(Cevan @ Mar 3 2009, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(justme @ Mar 2 2009, 11:16 PM) *

Hi Chris,

Phil

Phil, thanks for the offer. I bought the seals from Pelican. I have a puller. I assume it doesn't matter if I mangle the seals getting them out as long as I don't mar the case or crankshaft surfaces. To get the new ones in, I plan to lube them with some Brad Penn and try and find a tube with a similar diameter (PVC?) to press them in.

Feel free to stop by. I'm bringing my car out of storage next weekend into my garage and will be swapping the 1.8 out for this 2.0 that I picked up last summer.

Hi Chris,
Yea nothing technical about pulling the old seals. Just make sure you don't scratch the seating surface. I just push them in a little and then tap around then with a soft face hammer. Make sure they seat a little below the case surface.
I forgot,are you in Southwick? I'm doing a CubScout outing with my son on Saturday but should be around on Sunday afternoon. PM me you number & I'll give you a shout.

Cheers,
Phil

ejm
As mentioned above getting the fan hub free can be a challenge but is much less exciting if you just loosen the center bolt a few turns rather than removing it completely.

Chris - If you want to borrow the factory tool to install the flywheel seal let me know.

r_towle
Right...I forgot that option.
Get Ed...

Rich
Cevan
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 3 2009, 06:32 PM) *

As mentioned above getting the fan hub free can be a challenge but is much less exciting if you just loosen the center bolt a few turns rather than removing it completely.

Chris - If you want to borrow the factory tool to install the flywheel seal let me know.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Factory tools rule! I'd be crazy not to use it. Ed, I'll give you a call. Maybe I can swing out to your place this weekend sometime. Much appreciated. I have to wait for this snow to melt in order to get thee car back into my garage.

I got the fan hub off easily. I used a piece of 3/16 steel to go behind each bolt. I did keep the center bolt on, just backed it off a few turns. It came off after just a few turns of each bolt.

The old seal was in there good. I heated either side of the case to try and break the bond. Finally got it off. I used a piece of PCV pipe to get the new one on. Very tight fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.