Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge bezel finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Lavanaut
Hey experts,

So I'm getting ready today to send my gauges out to be restored, and as part of that effort I'm going to refinish my gauge bezel. The one that was in my six had a different finish than the one in my old four banger did, and I'm unclear which is correct. The six's finish is smooth and flat, the four's was i think what you'd call 'hammered'.

What say ye?

thanks!

Reid

Six:

Click to view attachment
Lavanaut
Four:
jonferns
I know the later /4's (75-76) had a plastic bezel with that rough finish pictured above. The earlier ones (70-74) had a steel bezel with a smooth satin black finish. Don't know if it was different for the sixes.
Jasfsmith
Both my '70 914-4 and 914-6 are the same. Smooth satin flat black.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Mar 2 2009, 05:24 PM) *

Both my '70 914-4 and 914-6 are the same. Smooth satin flat black.

Oh man, this really pains me! Really!

But I have to agree with you - smooth satin black finish.

Hurts!
Lavanaut
Ok, seems smooth satin black is the way to go, thanks all.

Oh ok Pat...I'll bite...why does this pain you?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Mar 2 2009, 10:05 PM) *

He hates to agree with me. Period. And he knows I'm right about the OEM tires too!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Mar 3 2009, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Mar 2 2009, 10:05 PM) *

He hates to agree with me. Period. And he knows I'm right about the OEM tires too!

No, I Like to agree with you on most originality things.

But the tire thing.....Can't help it, I'll go for safety & handling. Would you drive a ten thousand mile trip on "retro" tires? I'm sure that James would/will/has, but I won't. That's where I draw the limits on originality. It's called safety.

THAT'S why it pains me!
914runnow
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Mar 2 2009, 11:21 AM) *

Hey experts,

So I'm getting ready today to send my gauges out to be restored, and as part of that effort I'm going to refinish my gauge bezel. The one that was in my six had a different finish than the one in my old four banger did, and I'm unclear which is correct. The six's finish is smooth and flat, the four's was i think what you'd call 'hammered'.

What say ye?

thanks!

Reid

Six:

Click to view attachment

If??? You powdercoat .. the color is BK 05....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.