Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retro914
I have done countless research on whether to do a engine conversion or just shell out the money to have someone rebuild my engine already in my 2.0 confused24.gif

I have ran into more walls than a NASCAR driver, but it seems that an engine conversion looks like the best way to go. But on the other hand I assume that has its drawbacks too. Is there anyone here that is in the Augusta, GA area that may be able to help me? IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...... biggrin.gif OR ANY HELP
KELTY360
What do you want it to be when it's done?
jmill
When you add up all the nickels and dimes of a conversion, not to mention the countless unforseen mods, it's hard to believe that you'd be money ahead. A stock rebuild would save you alot of headaches. For a bit more you could get the 5K engine advertised here in the vendors area. It'll have alot more pep.

With that said, I can't wait to save up the dough for a 6 conversion.

It's all about how much power do you want and how much are you willing to spend to get there. For there you can figure out whats the best route for you.
retro914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 2 2009, 01:33 PM) *

What do you want it to be when it's done?

I would like a daily driver, but be able to take it to the track. The majority of track cars I have seen possess v8s, but their strictly track. I'm not a big HP guy, but I would like to have a little more than stock. I don't want to put a v8 in the car, because I hear it takes away from the purpose of the car....CORNERING....I surely don't want to be wrapped around a tree...not my idea of fun.
retro914
QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 2 2009, 01:43 PM) *

When you add up all the nickels and dimes of a conversion, not to mention the countless unforseen mods, it's hard to believe that you'd be money ahead. A stock rebuild would save you alot of headaches. For a bit more you could get the 5K engine advertised here in the vendors area. It'll have alot more pep.

With that said, I can't wait to save up the dough for a 6 conversion.

It's all about how much power do you want and how much are you willing to spend to get there. For there you can figure out whats the best route for you.

I guesstimated it would be cheaper because I can do most of the work myself, if it came to putting a GM motor in the car. If I sent the motor off to get rebuilt, I'm looking at shipping fees and GM parts are DIRT CHEAP. And from my estimates shipping for engines and parts are not cheap. The only reason I thought of a conversion, is based solely on I'm at my wits end trying to locate someone in my area that deals with VWs, and Porsche engines. I don't mind the $$$$....well, almost...but I would like to invest some of my time in the build also.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(retro914 @ Mar 2 2009, 11:11 AM) *

I guesstimated it would be cheaper because I can do most of the work myself, if it came to putting a GM motor in the car. If I sent the motor off to get rebuilt, I'm looking at shipping fees and GM parts are DIRT CHEAP. And from my estimates shipping for engines and parts are not cheap. The only reason I thought of a conversion, is based solely on I'm at my wits end trying to locate someone in my area that deals with VWs, and Porsche engines. I don't mind the $$$$....well, almost...but I would like to invest some of my time in the build also.

I gotta ask... if you can do the conversion work yourself, why can't you do the rebuild work yourself?

One way that I saw it when I was making the same decision...

Right now, you have a used engine. You can rebuild it and have a new engine. Or you can do a conversion, and have a different used engine.

Or you can rebuild a different engine and do a conversion.

I'm sticking with a type IV, but I'm building it as a larger displacement. It was going to be a 2258 until I found that my 78mm crankshaft was cracked. Now, it may end up as a 2270 or 2316.
retro914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Mar 2 2009, 02:34 PM) *

I gotta ask... if you can do the conversion work yourself, why can't you do the rebuild work yourself?

One way that I saw it when I was making the same decision...

Right now, you have a used engine. You can rebuild it and have a new engine. Or you can do a conversion, and have a different used engine.

Or you can rebuild a different engine and do a conversion.

I'm sticking with a type IV, but I'm building it as a larger displacement. It was going to be a 2258 until I found that my 78mm crankshaft was cracked. Now, it may end up as a 2270 or 2316.

I could rebuild it....but I would like someone with a little bit more knowledge on the engine than just me.
PeeGreen 914
If you're in Georgia you are in the Raby area and he could advise you on a good Type IV bguild that would keep you happy. I would imagine you would be dollars ahead to just build on what you have. Going to a six or eight is a lot of money on just conversion parts. Then you the engineafter you have spent all the money on the other stuff. Type IV allows you to stay in lower classes for racing where the 914 is competitive and still be great for a daily driver.
southernmost914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 2 2009, 02:44 PM) *

If you're in Georgia you are in the Raby area and he could advise you on a good Type IV bguild that would keep you happy. I would imagine you would be dollars ahead to just build on what you have. Going to a six or eight is a lot of money on just conversion parts. Then you the engineafter you have spent all the money on the other stuff. Type IV allows you to stay in lower classes for racing where the 914 is competitive and still be great for a daily driver.

agree.gif
Steve
retro914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 2 2009, 02:44 PM) *

I have heard of the name.......I will be doing some research to find out who He is. THANX
Thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics
Jakes Forums

what you need biggrin.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
PanelBilly
I'm in a know it all mood today. You should stick to a stock engine. Don't do ANYTHING that isn't original on the running gear. You don't require any more power than what the car was engineered with from the factory. Learning to hone your driving skills, making the most with what the car has to offer in its stock platform is exactly where you need to be.

Anything more is just a waste of your money.
southernmost914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 2 2009, 04:56 PM) *

I'm in a know it all mood today. You should stick to a stock engine. Don't do ANYTHING that isn't original on the running gear. You don't require any more power than what the car was engineered with from the factory. Learning to hone your driving skills, making the most with what the car has to offer in its stock platform is exactly where you need to be.
ing more is just a waste of your money.

agree.gif
And the designed Hsp. is ? shades.gif

Steve
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 2 2009, 01:56 PM) *

Oh? idea.gif And just what are you putting in your car? poke.gif laugh.gif
retro914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 2 2009, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 2 2009, 01:56 PM) *

Oh? idea.gif And just what are you putting in your car? poke.gif laugh.gif

A 2.0 is in the car right now...as far as I know. I inherited the car from my step-dad. HE was telling me that some guy had modified it a bit to a 2.2, but that's just hearsay, I suppose.
PeeGreen 914
That question is for Billy, who told you anything but stock is a waste of money. He's putting a big six in his. I thought it was funny he'd say something like that.

For what you want to do with a budget I would say a Raby engine may suit you best. If you didn't have a small budget I'd say go six of course piratenanner.gif
orange914

I guesstimated it would be cheaper because I can do most of the work myself, if it came to putting a GM motor in the car. If I sent the motor off to get rebuilt, I'm looking at shipping fees and GM parts are DIRT CHEAP.

we built a 2056 for our dd and are really happy with it... BUT if i were to do it again i would definately consider alternatives, heres why

if your not pre loaded with (expensive) type IV parts or conections on major parts you will spend 5K, easy for a 100,000 mile engine.

soo many (modern) engines to adapt. i always thought a low mile, inexpensive 4.3 vortec v-6 would be easily adapted -
200,000+ mile engine
reliable
efficient
low maintenance
powerful
cheap readily avalible parts
Justinp71
a 4.3 sounds cool but it kills the value of the car, I would only do that if your just looking for power...

In your situation I would stick to a 2.0 4cyl or maybe 2.4... If you have the budget sixes are awesome! But, the 2.0 4cyl has proven to be a very competative a/x car...as long as you get tires and suspension to go along with it.
JmuRiz
I'd talk with Jake, he'll do a Q and A with you to find out what you really want (even if you think you know already).

Being in GA, you have a leg up as Jake is close by and VERY happy to work out bugs on an engine he works on.
Jake Raby
Is there anyone here that is in the Augusta, GA area that may be able to help me? IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I am 3 hours away... My new service allows you to drop off the car and then come pick it up 100% completed. I expanded our services to include full service installs and chassis dyno tuning on premises.

Shoot me a PM or call me at 706.892.8192 for all the details. I'd be happy to help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.