Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little worried
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I was putting my dual carbs on my motor and setting up the linkage. Pulled the carbs off a couple time to get the linkage bar in bushing on each side of the carb plate. A little springs sits inside the bushing, however, when i pulled off one of the carbs the spring fell out and i have no idea where the thing went. I'm worried that the spring fell through the intakes and into the engine because i have looked everywhere in my garage. With my bad luck, this is probably what happened. What do i do? I need the spring, and don't want to start the motor with that spring sitting inside of it,if thats where it is, it would probably ruin something!!!!
Dave_Darling
Magnet on a stick. Poke it down the carbs; if you don't get it out that way pull the carbs off and check in them. Then poke your magnet on a stick into the intake ports.

Also look on the other side of the garage from the engine; little parts like that seem to teleport randomly when you drop them...

--DD
rhodyguy
the throttle plates should have remained in the closed position post carb install if you haven't opened them, so you may be in luck. look closely in the engine bay on the side the spring is missing on.

k
turnaround89
The spring sits inside a plate that goes underneath the carb. The plate i am talking about is in this picture. the plate is sitting right in front of the carbs and the spring sits inside the hole on the side of the plate

IPB Image
Todd Enlund
I'd think that if the engine is installed, the spring would have a hard time making it past the tins. Too late now, but when you drop something like this, instead of saying "oh fuch!"... be quiet and listen. You might be able to determine a lot about where it went by the sounds it makes.

Turn the garage lights off, and use a flashlight at floor level. If the spring is hiding on the garage floor, the long shadow will make it much easier to find. Get your eyes right down on the floor too.

And I agree with Dave. The smaller the part, the longer it's legs. A spring? Hell, it may be in the neighbors garage by now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.