Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KevinP
I 've been looking over replacing the sail trim on my restoration. I have collected several pieces over the years, none in which I believe I would put on the car due to there condition.

I would like it if anyone can tell me how these were finished from the factory. My guess is that they are polished then anodized. I don't think this is chrome.

I've had great luck in straighting these things back out and repairing gouges,ect

Hey, I know I can buy new for big bucks, but then it wouldn't be a restortion would it.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the polished/anodizing process unless someone can put me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance guys, all $.02 cent welcomed!!!
watsonrx13
polished/anodizing process ... Keep up the good work Kev, can't wait to see the car....

-- Rob

QUOTE(KevinP @ Mar 3 2009, 07:38 AM) *

I 've been looking over replacing the sail trim on my restoration. I have collected several pieces over the years, none in which I believe I would put on the car due to there condition.

I would like it if anyone can tell me how these were finished from the factory. My guess is that they are polished then anodized. I don't think this is chrome.

I've had great luck in straighting these things back out and repairing gouges,ect

Hey, I know I can buy new for big bucks, but then it wouldn't be a restortion would it.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the polished/anodizing process unless someone can put me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance guys, all $.02 cent welcomed!!!

Gint
agree.gif Pretty sure Rob is correct.

QUOTE(KevinP @ Mar 3 2009, 05:38 AM) *

How about telling us how you manage to repair these little jewels?
kconway
Clear anodize is tough to find someone to do at least here in LA. I just bought new for $125/ea.
Kev
KevinP
Kev,

I haven't had a problem at all finding a finisher job shop to do the clear.

I did have to make some special hand rollers to straighten the dings and dents. I used my lathe for that. I would have like to have access to an English wheel but didn't know anyone with one. It gets pretty narrow at one end. I used Easyoff to remove the anodizing and I bought a 3/4 hp Baldour? buffing wheel to do the polishing.

When I first attempted to clean the trim up the buffing wheel did not hardly make any effect on the trim finish. ( boy this stuff is hard) I took some 320 sand paper to it and I could tell when I broke thru the finish. this did not look to me to be chrome but I wasn't sure because it was so hard.

I have been told that once you finish your polishing/ buffing, this should pretty much be what you see after the anodizing if done right.

KP
r_towle
Yes, its clear anodized.
If you find a guy, keep him in mind for all the trim, its the same process for all of it, including the wheels.

Rich
horizontally-opposed
King of Trim in Los Angeles can do it, using the AnoBrite process. I just sent some window guides his way for the treatment. Not cheap, at around $80-100 per piece on a group of six, but I hear good things.

Thought about doing the sail trim, too, but buying new just made more sense given the guarantee and ability to return it for a perfect piece.

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.