Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: backdate 76 GC heads to 73-74 GA or GB heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SuperDave
I'm a newbie here. I've tried searching pelican and here to no avail. My apologies if this has been covered before...
I am very close to buying a 76 2.0 to replace the 1.7 in my 72. The 2.0 still has the original heads and emissions equipment. I've read enough to know the emissions equipment made the car run hotter and less efficiently and my state (Oklahoma) doesn't require it so I'm planning on removing the air injection.
Three questions:
Are 73-74 heads a bolt-on for the GC engine?
If so, would I gain anything by replacing my 76 heads with GA/GB heads or should I just fill in the holes like was discussed in a recent thread?
I've heard the valve sizes are different between 73-74 and 75-76 heads, but haven't been able to verify this. True or false?
Thanks!
David
SLITS
Nothing I have seen or read indicates any valve size difference on the 2.0 heads.

Only difference I know of is the lack of breather ports and the addition of air injection holes in the exhaust ports. Air injection holes can be plugged or welded up. Breather ports can be added as the boss is still cast into the heads.

I've swapped them back an forth.

In other words , save your money and work with the late heads.

Now, there is a big difference between 2.0L BUS heads and 2.0L 914 heads.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 3 2009, 10:36 AM) *

Nothing I have seen or read indicates any valve size difference on the 2.0 heads.

Only difference I know of is the lack of breather ports and the addition of air injection holes in the exhaust ports. Air injection holes can be plugged or welded up. Breather ports can be added as the boss is still cast into the heads.

I've swapped them back an forth.

In other words , save your money and work with the late heads.

Now, there is a big difference between 2.0L BUS heads and 2.0L 914 heads.

agree.gif with Schlitz ...

PS: welcome.png
SuperDave
Dang, that was fast! Thanks....
I knew about the air injection holes, but what is this about adding breather ports? Assume I know nothing confused24.gif
type47
Breather ports are little pipes that allow relief of air pressure formed in the crankcase to escape and be put into the intake system. On the upper side of the head, but off to the side will be a "boss" which is a little raised area through which a hole can be drilled and a pipe located. Hoses are then attached to the pipes and routed to a collection junction (anti-flashback valve, a little 3-way connector) then to the air cleaner assembly to be burned with combustion gases. Actually, I didn't know that GC heads did not have the pipes (among the many things I don't know). If your heads do not have the pipes, I suppose you'd have to remove the heads to install them (would require dropping the engine). To replace the emissions injectors with plugs should not require engine removal. Awkward, but it should be able to be done with engine in.
SirAndy
Btw. some people have had success by adding a port to the valve covers. Which obviously can be done with the engine in the car.

That should work just fine, if you can get it to not leak ...
biggrin.gif Andy
r_towle
No one has explained why some have the head breather ports and some do not...

Any ideas?

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 3 2009, 12:58 PM) *

Any ideas?

Well, early cars didn't have them, they were added later in the production.

My guess would be either they are beneficial to the life cycle of the engine or they are emission related.
idea.gif Andy
SuperDave
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2009, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 3 2009, 12:58 PM) *

Any ideas?

Well, early cars didn't have them, they were added later in the production.

My guess would be either they are beneficial to the life cycle of the engine or they are emission related.
idea.gif Andy

Sounds like venting the crankcase and reburning the gases is both helpful on emissions and helps increase longevity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Crankcase_Ventilation
Seems to me that early cars wouldn't have breather tubes, and later cars would. Am I missing something? I don't have the motor or I'd go look!
hcdmueller
L-Jet cars don't have them. The breather system on the 75/76 2.0L is different from the early D-Jet cars. There is no PCV valve at the oil filler. It is just a 3/4" dia port that goes straight into the airbox. I guess Porsche figured that head ports weren't necessary since the crankcase breather had a steady vacuum on it.
Bleyseng
agree.gif
wertygrog
how can one tell the difference between 2.0L bus and 914 heads?
bobhasissues
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Mar 3 2009, 06:09 PM) *

how can one tell the difference between 2.0L bus and 914 heads?

The foremost telltale sign is 2.0 Bus heads have four intake bolts. 2.0 914 heads have three intake bolts.
type47
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Mar 3 2009, 03:23 PM) *

L-Jet cars don't have them.

hmmm, my '74 has 'em..... idea.gif
hcdmueller
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 4 2009, 04:07 PM) *

Does it still have the L Jet? My understanding is that the L Jet system doesn't like unmeasured air sources past the air flow meter. Where do your ports connect to in the FI system?
SuperDave
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Mar 4 2009, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 4 2009, 04:07 PM) *

Does it still have the L Jet? My understanding is that the L Jet system doesn't like unmeasured air sources past the air flow meter. Where do your ports connect to in the FI system?

This article http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm has a lot of good info and says of the '75 L-jet cars "Some cars get EGR tubes..."

This discussion of 914 engine differences was also helpful to me: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....;threadid=54211

Thanks for all the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.