Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help taking out my starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
On the old starter there are 2 bolts the first one is very easy to get to that was a breeze to take off. The second one is up in some weird spot. I can get to it but all my sockets are to thick so it won't fit over it cause its really close to the starter so you need a open end rench. Plus the bolt is turned in a bad spot so the adjustable rench will fit on it but I can't trun it cause there is no room. If anyone has any ideas please help me. I have spent the last 3 hours trying to take it off and still no luck.
Eric Taylor
It's a real bitch to get. You have to come at it from inside the engine compartment.The bolt goes through the case and transmission. You'll find it at the back of the compartment on the back of the case. I would remove the air cleaner if I were you, it give you more access. If you need more help, or pictures, Pelican has a great artical for replacing the clutch. Removing the starter is one of the first steps in the process.
Eric
Joe Bob
Try looking on the inside of the engine bay.....opposite from the other bolt.
mightyohm
you're gonna love this...

There is a nut inside the engine compartment. Remove that and the starter slides off. The nut is all the way in the back on the driver's side pretty close to the center. Look around and you'll find it.

The starter is made to keep the bolt from rotating when you take the nut off, that's why you can't fit a socket on it.

Edit, wow, 4 replies at once. Everyone checks 914club when they get home from work I guess. huh.gif
Joe Bob
Beat ya Jeff.... mueba.gif
mightyohm
I know! I type too slow mike. confused24.gif
weird_looking_cactus
Wait so I don't remove the nut by the transmission from under the car I open up were the engine is and take the air fillter and I should be able to get it from there.
weird_looking_cactus
HAHAHa I just read that thing about how to put a clutch in and for 3 hours I sat there and mess around with it and was getting so pissed. Now its going to be easy. But is the airfilter easy to take off.
mightyohm
It's easy. On the 1.7 you just take off the wing nut/bolt thing that holds it down and wiggle it off of the intake. Take off any hoses first and remember where they go.

And yeah the nut is in there.
weird_looking_cactus
Mine is a 1975 2.0 liter and the airfilter is a big black box that takes up half the engine compartment. So Im hoping it will still be easy.
Mark Henry
Dood... you need a workshop manual

I know..I know pissoff.gif

beer.gif
Uncle Richy
I know you don't want to hear this, but once you've figured it out, it's a 15 minute job.

The air cleaner is held down by some spring clips.
boxstr
WLC remove the air filter assy with the clips, then there is a wing nut inside unscrew that and pull off the lower part of the air filter assy. OH, you may want to loosent eh clamp on the hose that is held on to the airflow meter. You can slide that off and let it rest to side in the engine bay.
CCLINHAYNESMANUAL
weird_looking_cactus
Ya I have have found out that its just a 15 minute job, but Im just going to think of it as a learning experience haha. What do you expect Im just a 16 year old kid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.