Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory /6 with body-colored bumpers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Without going too much into detail, was the "cheap" version of the /4, no chrome and body colored bumpers ever an option for the factory 914-6???

idea.gif Andy
r_towle
I will leave that answer to the professionals.
I was never under the impression there was a body colored bumper.
I have seen both chrome and black, but that is all.

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 3 2009, 02:41 PM) *

In the early days ('69/'70) the "standard" equipment for the 914-4 was without chrome. The bumpers were body color. You had to pay extra for the chrome.

Just wondering if the 914-6 was ever offered with a similar package ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
jmill
From what I've read the 6 came standard with chrome bumpers and sail vinyl.
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2009, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 3 2009, 02:41 PM) *

In the early days ('69/'70) the "standard" equipment for the 914-4 was without chrome. The bumpers were body color. You had to pay extra for the chrome.

Just wondering if the 914-6 was ever offered with a similar package ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 3 2009, 04:40 PM) *

That's a prototype car. In fact, that is 914.114 with it's original bumper ...

I was talking about the production 914-6 only.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Without going too much into detail, was the "cheap" version of the /4, no chrome and body colored bumpers ever an option for the factory 914-6???

Unofficially, who knows - you could order anything you want...

But all the historical literature I've seen says "Appearance Group Standard."

I'd guess that if you did find a pair that had been prepared that way at the factory that if you scratched the paint, you'd find chrome underneath ;-)
Katmanken
Parts book sez...

No!
Joe Bob
Some didn't come with sway bars......or other options like center consoles or Fuchs. But they all came with chrome and vinyl.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Mar 3 2009, 05:10 PM) *

But all the historical literature I've seen says "Appearance Group Standard."

That was my point. biggrin.gif

Someone at Karmann (Today, not back in the day) claims that a certain picture depicts 8 (eight) 914-6 prototype cars at the Karmann facility, but they all clearly show bumpers painted in body color.

I'm thinking, it's probably a batch of early 914-4 cars ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2009, 10:34 PM) *

Someone at Karmann (Today, not back in the day) claims that a certain picture depicts 8 (eight) 914-6 prototype cars at the Karmann facility, but they all clearly show bumpers painted in body color.

Donno why they'd have trucked completed cars back from Zuffenhausen just for a picture. I guess anything is possible, but I had thought "all" the /6's were built at the Porsche Werk - not Karmann...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Mar 3 2009, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2009, 10:34 PM) *

Donno why they'd have trucked completed cars back from Zuffenhausen just for a picture. I guess anything is possible, but I had thought "all" the /6's were built at the Porsche Werk - not Karmann...

They are not complete, they are on dollies without suspension or motor or interior.

However, they *do* have the doors and bumpers attached ...
shades.gif Andy
zambezi
In that video in another thread, the Meaney racing 914/6 had body colored bumpers. I guess they could have painted them in the team racing colors though.
JIM
SirAndy
QUOTE(zambezi @ Mar 3 2009, 08:41 PM) *

In that video in another thread, the Meaney racing 914/6 had body colored bumpers. I guess they could have painted them in the team racing colors though.

Yes. But as far as custom built race cars go, all bets are off.

I was asking about a factory option for production cars.
Consensus seems to be that all production 914-6 were shipped with the "Appearance Group" chrome trim and chrome bumpers ...
idea.gif Andy
70Sixter
I never heard of or saw one with anything but chrome bumpers and vinyl sails. I know of at least one -6 that put -4 bumpers on because the metals guys said that even if you de-chrome them, paint won't adhere properly.

My very early -6 had no fog lights, but the factory later reimbursed me for them because they were supposed to be in all -6s.

carr914
My Factory Six (#673) does not have Fog Lights

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.