Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Graduated Timing Scale?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
One of the popular things to do on a Type 1 engine is to replace the crank pulley so that you can put on an aftermarket pulley that has marks for different degrees on the face of it. This is really helpful when timing the engine because you can see how far you are off and which direction you are off from your target.

Something like that would be really helpful for a Type IV where we have such limited visibility. Often if you have the timing off you can be so far off that you can't see the mark at all so you aren't sure which way to turn the dizzy. Sometimes you can miss the mark anyway just because it goes by the opening so quick.

I know that Pelican has a template in one of their tech articles that will help you mark your timing marks if you are using the fan from a different Type IV, but I've never seen anything like this. Does anybody make one?
Dave_Darling
Supposedly there was something similar made for Buses at one point, but I'm not sure that it would be visible in our cars. If you want a graduated scale, my suggestion is to paint one on the front half of your fan, near where the pulley is.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.