Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: relay board to starter ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Doing my MS install,(and can sorta type now that my keyboard dried out). Got the fuel pump and +12 off the relay board no problem. My question is these two terminals. They seem to go to the starter. I would assume for the old ECU to see a "crank" mode to turn on the fuel pump. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 3 2009, 08:42 PM) *

Doing my MS install,(and can sorta type now that my keyboard dried out). Got the fuel pump and +12 off the relay board no problem. My question is these two terminals. They seem to go to the starter. I would assume for the old ECU to see a "crank" mode to turn on the fuel pump. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Yes. But as you can see, it also is a pass-through from pin 1 on the forward connector.

So, in order for your starter to work, you need to keep those or jumper them together.
bye1.gif Andy
underthetire
Thank you sir pray.gif
Dave_Darling
That's not true. The current for the starter does not loop through the FI wiring. If you look carefully at the diagram, you'll see that a trace runs along the right side of the board from the yellow wire on the top connector to the yellow wire on the right-rear connector. That's what carries the starter current.

The 1.8s only had one wire plugged into the four-pin connector, and their starter worked just fine.

--DD
Tom
Sorry Dave,
But starter current doesn't go thru the relay board. Only the starter solenoid current. Starter current is way up there, 100 or more amps. That would fry the contacts and wires really quick. I expect you already know this, just used the wrong terms.
Tom
underthetire
OK, solenoid. What I did find is:

A: starter still works
B: If you jumper to power, the starter spins ( this is gonna be sweet for doing maintenance, will hook up a remote push button I can remove)
C: It was really for the stock ECU to give a cranking signal for flood clear and fuel pump run.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 4 2009, 07:45 AM) *

That's not true. The current for the starter does not loop through the FI wiring. If you look carefully at the diagram, you'll see that a trace runs along the right side of the board from the yellow wire on the top connector to the yellow wire on the right-rear connector.

I think you're misreading the post.

Yes, that's what i pointed out, the starter wire goes from Pin 1 on the forward connector through the relay board to Pin 6 on the backwards connector.
So, if you were to eliminate the relay board, you would have to "jumper" those two wires for the starter to work as expected.

However, he is correct that the same current is also routed to Pin II on the FI connector!
shades.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
Oh, I get it. Sorry, Aaaahndy.

And Tom, I didn't mean that the power to spin the starter motor went through the switch--just that the current to pull in the solenoid did.

--DD
Tom
Dave,
I thought you knew correctly, but I thought some might misunderstand.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.