Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
This might be a silly question but I thought I would ask if anyone has experience.

On my other car, when I upgraded from the stock ATE brakes to Brembo's all around and used the stock master... I found the pedal to have a spongy feel. Even though there was no air or leaks. I should add, these were vacuum assisted brakes.

Now for my 914 I'm wondering if I were to go to the biggest master I can get (say a 23mm) if the pedal might feel like a rock then and the brakes really sensitive. I'm planning to run 944 S2 rear Brembo's as my fronts and then I have a set of what I've been told are from a 964, but they are a smaller two piston Brembo's.

Anyone on the forum had any experience running larger brakes and loosing pedal feel on their 914's?
PeeGreen 914
I have heard guys on here saying that going bigger than a 19 creates issues. 17 is stock, 19 is what the 6's have. I know a few guys have gone to bigger than that. I hope they chime in for you.
McMark
There is a great classic thread on MC size compared to caliper piston size.
davep
The 944 S2 rears may have pistons too small for use on the front of the car; what are the piston sizes for all the calipers you plan on using?
The 911S used a 20mm master with 48mm piston (Aluminum calipers) with 38mm rears, The 911T used a 19mm master for the same piston sizes, but all steel calipers.
The 23mm master may be too large for your brake combination, but it does depend on other factors as well; such as racing.
-JR-
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 5 2009, 09:48 AM) *

The 944 S2 rears may have pistons too small for use on the front of the car; what are the piston sizes for all the calipers you plan on using?
The 911S used a 20mm master with 48mm piston (Aluminum calipers) with 38mm rears, The 911T used a 19mm master for the same piston sizes, but all steel calipers.
The 23mm master may be too large for your brake combination, but it does depend on other factors as well; such as racing.

Thanks Dave, I'm not technically familiar enough with the 944 S2 calipers to know the exact piston measurements. I use to own a set, and would estimate about 1" diameter per piston from memory and they are a four pot caliper. So they would be a larger surface area and as such a larger fluid volume than the stock 914 brakes. I'm only choosing this caliper because it's smaller and lighter weight than the larger calipers used on say the 928 or the 911's.

From your post though. It seems you are saying that there should be a ratio I am looking for. I plan on using the car for road and auto-x use. So I don't want a " Cadillac" feeling brake, but I don't want to have a pedal so hard that I need a leg like Arnold Schwarzenegger to get the car to stop either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.