Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn Base Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grelber
While reinstalling my horn ring, I broke off the little tit on the base plate that the horn ground wire plugs into. According to George, AA is backordered on the plate until late April. Anyone know of another source, other than a WTB for a used one? (which I don't want if I don't have to). This is AA part # B914 613 805A.
A&PGirl
There is no other source.

Unless it is secretly a VW part or 911 part.

Most used ones have the spade broken off and reapplied in a variety of interesting ways.

If you still have the metal bit you, can solder it back on to the plate. If not you can take an electrical spade the same size and solder it on to the plate. You can even take a same size spade and rivet it back on to the plate. (using the correctly sized rivet of course)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
nope never made as a singular part. We had a backlog on producing them because of our great new 914 repair piece that is almost finished Yet the horn plates are soon
Dave_Darling
Cut out a small piece of sheet metal, solder it on. Works well, and so far has lasted me for 10 years.

--DD
zeezee
contact parts heaven...

http://www.partsheaven.com/pages/used_parts.html

highly recommended
HCRDAN
Same issue with mine. When I get around to it, I'm just going to cut a new tab into the metal using a dremel or wiresaw blade and gently bend the new tab to accept the ground wire. I think there is enough wire to reach the new tab.

I had a post last July about this exact same issue (Correction, not December as I stated in the Vday thread that will not die... barf.gif ) and this was one of the options suggested. Given the other options, I think that is probably the most expedient manner.

Others reported mixed results with soldering the errant tab back on, btw.
Grelber
QUOTE(HCRDAN @ Mar 6 2009, 09:45 AM) *

Same issue with mine. When I get around to it, I'm just going to cut a new tab into the metal using a dremel or wiresaw blade and gently bend the new tab to accept the ground wire. I think there is enough wire to reach the new tab.

Others reported mixed results with soldering the errant tab back on, btw.

Hadn't thought of just cutting a new tab. Thanks for the idea.
A&PGirl
Soldering worked for me, but I had a lot of other issues too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.