Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Engine Mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I had planned on just bolting the mount to the firewall. I had heard that if you don't weld it in place its easier to slip the engine in. The car is going in for the LineX undercoating next week and The firewall will be coated too. If I'm going to weld it in, now is the time.

Anyone have an opinion?

GeorgeRud
I assume you're talking about a Rich Johnson mount. You can get by with just bolting it on, but it's probably best to weld it in as well.

It doesn't make any difference on the ease of installing the engine.
LarryR
I am having McMark weld mine in. I think that bolting it in would cause a serious amount of stress on the bolt locations unless you bolt it all the way around but then that would look a little lame and kind of discount the whole easier to install the engine thing....
PanelBilly
The instructions that came with it show welding in just a few spots. I have the engman kit installed and two of the bolts do pass through it.
Dave_Darling
Weld it. Definitely.

--DD
McMark
Weld it. It's not hard and it's much more effective. It's not hard to bolt the engine in. I would actually think it would be harder to juggle a motor and a mount at the same time.
pete-stevers
I stitch welded and bolted mine
wouldn't do it any other way
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2009, 08:43 PM) *

Weld it. Definitely.

--DD

agree.gif
jt914-6
I've got the Rich Johnson mount. Bolted and welded in. The only way to go......
r_towle
Given the fact that the lower firewall is two pieces, an inner and outer, I personally would want to ensure that the upper and lower edge of the mount was welded.
This would spread the load to the floorboard and the upper horizontal seam.
Bolts would create point loads that IMHO would become a problem over time.

I have no idea how the removal/install would be easier with bolts...you would need two guys to get the bolts out...one holding the nuts from the inside.

The other way would be to pre-install sleeves/threaded bungs for the bolts that go all the way through to the inside firewall, that would tie them together and would be a good way to bolt it in place.

rich
sixnotfour
http://www.sayegh.org/Paul/914.htm

If you notice most deal with this befor they paint their car 3 times poke.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 7 2009, 07:19 AM) *

http://www.sayegh.org/Paul/914.htm

If you notice most deal with this befor they paint their car 3 times poke.gif

Now be nice, I've only painted the bottom once and now I'm having parts of it coated with the LineX stuff. So twice isn't so many.

And four the record, I re-painted the inside of the sail panels again so that would be #4.

I can't wait to cut&buff it. Just need to wait a little longer.
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif

McMark doing his Magick:
Click to view attachment

Seam-welded all around, even filled in the "bolt" holes:
Click to view attachment

And some touch-up paint:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.