Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: which pointless ignition?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
ok, with getting the new engine soon... i am looking at ignition systems...

I had/ have a pertronix ignitor in the 1.7...it worked great. but I'm thinking for the new engine, I would like a pointless system that has a rev limiter(I tend to be too rough/over rev) blink.gif and that would maybe get some added performance(ie multiple or larger spark)

I thought of the Crane Xr 3000(or xr 700) with an lx91 coil... has anyone used this?
pertronix also has a setup that is a reasonable price(important factor) and of course, there is always MSD, compufire, etc.

I have a stock 1.7 distributor, a distributor that has yet to be identified on the 1.8possibly a bosh 009... and the engine will come with a bosch 050. I would like to use 1 of these distributors...

which distributor/coil/ignition system are you running? what do you suggest?
mike_the_man
Just a thought; I'm using a Pertronix, and I have a rev limiting rotor. Thats probably the cheapest way to go. It's not fancy, but it's functional. And I'm cheap.
tat2dphreak
idea.gif that's a good idea.... I always think of the hardest way first... which rev limit rotor do you use? does it work well? adjustable limit?

I need to look at that, but if the price difference is minimal <100$... I may rather go for a setup w/ multiplespark and adjustable revlimit.... the curses of champagne taste and a beer budget... if nothing else the revlimit rotor would work nice for a bit...
SirAndy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 24 2004, 10:04 AM)
if nothing else the revlimit rotor would work nice for a bit...

i just threw one out the other day. had it in my box for 2 years.
i hate those things, they always come on when you don't need 'em.
(like, in a corner, makes for nice spinning icon8.gif )

Andy
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2004, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 24 2004, 10:04 AM)
if nothing else the revlimit rotor would work nice for a bit...

i just threw one out the other day. had it in my box for 2 years.
i hate those things, they always come on when you don't need 'em.
(like, in a corner, makes for nice spinning icon8.gif )

Andy

smile.gif thanks for the input andy.
Anton
I also have been contemplating about electronic ignition, but decided against it. A stock set-up with normal spark plugs (no multiple electrodes), new condenser, new points, rotor (w/ or wo/ rev. limiter), cap, and leads in good condition, used with an OEM coil work just fine.

I have asked myself the question: do I NEED an expensive (and not necessarily more reliable) electronic ignition system?

Is it necessary:
- For modern, multiple electrode spark plugs requiring high voltage discharge? Why? Just use OEM plugs.
- To replace the condenser? No, a new one just costs a few $. And normally remains in good condition for many years.
- To replace the points? No, same argument. And replacing it is only necessary every 7,500 miles or so.
- To gain engine power? No. This only applies to modern, high-compression, fuel injected, high-performance engines with already MUCHO horse power. A standard type 4 engine hardly falls in this category. A 0.3 (or whatever) increase in HP in a 914 will not be noticed.
- For better fuel economy? Buy a Toyota (or any other rice car) Diesel (gasoline).
- Better cold starting performance? Buy a new battery. I never had starting problems even during freezing cold winters.
- To increase the advance curve of a tuned type 4 engine. Perhaps, depends on the make of the iginition system. But a Bosch 050 distributor also goes a long way.
- To increase the value of your Porsche 914? Quite the opposite, I think.

Just my thoughts... I know this is against common opinion, but thats the fun of this post. happy11.gif
mike_the_man
I'm not sure which rotor I have. I can check when I get home. I'm also not sure how well it works, as I've only driven the car a couple times with it in, and haven't revved it very high. It's not adjustable, as far as I can tell. There's a picture of one in the Haynes manual, I believe. It may not be the most elegant solution, but probably the cheapest.
tat2dphreak
definately cheapest... I looked on pelican and they are blink.gif

I dunno... every website says something different... pelican pushes crane(which I used in a chebbie, though different model) aircooled .net says MSD or mallory... everyone recommends what they just happen to be selling. <_<
KenH
The Crane Xr 3000 with an lx91 made a big improvment in how my stock 2.0 runs.

The rotor rev limiter works well and has save the motor more than once from my right foot.

Shop for best price on the XR 3000.

Ken
Dave_Darling
I really hate messing with points. I hate the fact that you have to take half the ignition apart to get to them, and that you have to put it all back together again to check the adjustment. I hate that they start wearing and going bad the instant you use them. I hate the fact that they are very sensitive to wear and adjustment, and that they are such a critical part of the way the engine runs.

I love the notion that I can put a points-replacement gizmo in the car, and not have to f**k with it again for as long as the engine lasts.

Performance? Don't count on it. Convenience? Yup--in spades. I like the Crane optical trigger, as they seem to be a little better quality than the Pertronix. I don't need the CDI/multiple spark system, so I don't bother with them. Just the points replacement.

--DD
nebreitling
i do like my xr700. runs silky smooth. no revlimiter with that, of course.

i don't think that an otherwise stock 1.7-2.0 TIV is really going to take enough advantage of a multispark set up to make that worth your investment.

and i'd just forget the revlimiter.... watch the tach. my 2 cents.

n
tat2dphreak
good points Dave.. making sure the points stay gone are my main concern... #2 is a revlimiterI'm not expecting my hp to double on a 2056 just by changing the ignition...

I will probably get the either get a crane(xr 3000), or just be careful(with a pertronix) for a while until I do get a rev limiting device... and save some money and get a mallory later... that's the only thing I've heard anyone say that it added any performance.
TimT
Tat

I had the crane optical ignition on my car for like 15 years..... I took out the dist and sold it to a fellow who is still using the system I sold him...

It used to be sold as "Allison" Crane bought the comapany or whatever..

In any event the trigger I bought for my 911 over 15 years ago still works!!

I you buy a Pertonix, buy two... keep an extra in your glove compartment
zehrschnell914
My car stopped on the way to work yesterday. Everything points to the Pertronix (no pun intended). It has only about 100 miles on it. sad.gif
Anton
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 24 2004, 01:48 PM)
I like the Crane optical trigger, as they seem to be a little better quality than the Pertronix.  I don't need the CDI/multiple spark system, so I don't bother with them.  Just the points replacement.

Is the Crane optical trigger difficult to install? I do see the advantage of "install and forget". cool_shades.gif
nebreitling
nope, pretty easy. would take about 40 minutes if you really know what you're doing; an hour or so if you don't.
davep
I remember the rev-limiting rotor causing the car to sputter on the race track, but no spinning. Especially since it only happened when I was right beside the wall. I had to use a standard rotor on that track. It is not really adjustable, but I think it could be found in a few rev limits.

DaveP
tat2dphreak
does the XR 3000 Crane not have a rev limiter? I thought it did, but can't find on a website that it does confused24.gif
MJHanna
I still like the MSD cuz I run carbs and the MSD dizzy plugs into a 6 AL box, which helps to smooth out the carbs and I can change the rev limiter
MJHanna
6AL
swood
MJHanna,
Whats the unit next to the MSD?
MJHanna
QUOTE(swood @ Feb 26 2004, 02:02 PM)

Whats the unit next to the MSD?

Solenoid to the starter, used to be mount underneath but got moved to a dryer location .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.